Almost Time

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by ThatGuy, Mar 5, 2018.

1. ThatGuy

ThatGuy I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.

Any avid turkey hunters here?
    As I am only the ripe age of 22 I can only be but a novice but I love to hear a Tom resonate through the woods.
    I've hunted all kinds of animals in this great state but nothing gets me out of bed in the morning quite like those blue heads.

2. bubbat

bubbat Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.

Clinton
    Dhollis absolutely hates turkeys with a passion, he's the resident MSGO turkey killer.

dhollis51, 94LEVERFAN and ThatGuy like this.

3. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Not a avid hunter, but didn't grow up having a spring season to hunt; but understand your passion: calling one into your call.
    Good luck

94LEVERFAN, DEADEYE 1 and ThatGuy like this.
  4. Redlick83

Redlick83 Distinguished Poster

Starkville
    That was before I showed up, jk, but I do live for the spring season.

5. ThatGuy

I know alot of people really like to deer hunt. I could take it or leave it compared to them thunder chickens.
    Last year I only managed some 3 year olds one was maybe a 2. My brother got the boss Tom (his spurs looked more like talons lol) and I can't stand for that this year.
    Last year I also came across something I've never encountered before and it may be more common in some parts of the state or the country but it was a jake in a group of about 3 or 4 of them that stayed in around the area we hunt that could gobble his ass off son. Not like a sick sounding gobble or a half gobble but, gobble gobble obble obble.

Mesquite likes this.
  6. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Watch out for ticks getting on you and rattlesnakes. I am already picking ticks off my dogs.

7. ThatGuy

I've yet to run up on any rattlesnakes thank Jesus. Ticks are another story.

LeansVeryRight2016 and Mesquite like this.
  8. bubbat

Clinton
    I haven't been mad enough at a deer, turkey, squirrel or rabbit in about 15+ yrs to shoot any of them.

Rusty C, Mesquite and 94LEVERFAN like this.
  9. ThatGuy

I absolutely despise people who kill over the limit though. I definitely can't stand that. That's unethical if you ask me.

Redlick83, deadhead and Mesquite like this.
  10. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

The limits are plenty liberal.When you hear guys that brag about killing 21 gobblers in a spring, that is a game hog. Now if he wants to drive around the country and kill the limit in different states, he is not hurting the population in one area. I have come closer to stepping on moccasins and copperheads while hunting. But I kill every rattlesnake that I encounter on my property.

righttoown, ThatGuy and Mesquite like this.
  11. SLBcmtr

SLBcmtr Got to get to the cabin

Back in the early '60s, turkey hunting was the "big game" to hunt,
    especially in Amite County. I spent many hours sitting on the ground
    leaned back on a tree while my Dad called them in. He was good
    with a box call.

12. 94LEVERFAN

94LEVERFAN Distinguished Poster

I'm still pissed at all of the above Bubba, lol. Good thing I got young'uns to skin and clean em for me.

eric3713, Redlick83, Rusty C and 2 others like this.
  13. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Can't stand a turkey love to hear them but want hunt em. Tree rats now thats where the fun is for me. 22 and head shots. Deer hunting is ok will probably try to get a plot set up for next year but for my grandson and not me.

14. deadhead

deadhead Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Absolutely can't wait to chase a bird, it's the epitome of spring to me.

15. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

That's the only kind of hunting I've done in probably the last 15 years.

rigrat likes this.
  16. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

Y'all be careful where you step or sit...last Friday I inspected a wooded property for an appraisal and saw three snakes. They're out enjoying the warmer weather and the copperheads are having babies...and they are more dangerous than the grown ones.

17. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Now for real fun I miss the days as a kid in Kansas. I used to jump shoot quail by walking the fence lines between grain feilds. Used a H&R Topper JR single shot .410.

Mesquite, 94LEVERFAN and bucmeister like this.
  18. gutdoc

gutdoc Distinguished Poster

479225BB-72D3-485A-99E0-65A997425C28.jpeg Two weeks ago
    The one on the right was 32 inches.

Vick and 94LEVERFAN like this.
  19. bubbat

Clinton
    Oh yeah that's fun, I haven't been quail hunting since I was a teenager. I can remember chasing them down turn rows trying to shoot them with a Red Ryder.

rigrat likes this.
  20. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

I wasn't good enough to get them with my Daisy. But that ole 410 single shot and me would always get one out of each covey flushed.

94LEVERFAN and bucmeister like this.