Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on a woodworking kick lately and am trying to come up with some ideas of stuff to make. I like the look of old ammo crates (WW2 or old commercial crates) and thought it would be cool to make a humidor (or something else) that looks like an old ammo crate. I don't want to use the actual ammo crates, but I'd be making new ones and carving the markings into the wood instead of stamping.

Anyone have pics and dimensions of any ammo crates? I'd buy some different crates if anyone has any to sell. I'm thinking an M1 carbine ammo crate would be good for a humidor but smaller would be better. I'd love pics and dimensions of any size crates, though, in case I have any ideas for larger stuff later (ammo crate cooler?).

·
Waffennarr
8,879 Posts
I've got French & Swedish wooden crates, can send photos of those if you wish. Also some are at SW Gun Club that the CMP sent us ammo in, guess they're Greek HXP. The latter are the smallest of the 3.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got French & Swedish wooden crates, can send photos of those if you wish. Also some are at SW Gun Club that the CMP sent us ammo in, guess they're Greek HXP. The latter are the smallest of the 3.
Yes, I'd like picks of those if you don't mind. Straight-on pics of each side with a ruler for scale would be ideal. I'm hoping to pull the markings directly off the photos. PM incoming with email address. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
look for photos of motar round wooden cases. Wife found one for me once at canton flea market someone had painted a woodland duck on the top. I used it for a magazine holder next to my chair for years. it would be the perfect dimensions for a humidor. Unfortunately, we sold it at the last garage sale we had, but I think I have a photo of it if that would help.

Dont think the dimensions were the same as this, and mine had rope handles rather than the wood, but it's close to what mine looked like.

762x39_Ammo_Crate_OTA-WC05.png

·
Registered
16,418 Posts
Made this one. Not even close to the look of an original, but I wasn't trying for that anyway. Dims are 17" x 12" x 9" outside. 3/4" thick wood. Weighs about 50lbs full, so joinery is important, especially for the bottom which I reinforced with a couple cross members which double as feet.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone here got any Greek HXP crates that they could send me some pics/dimensions of? Or maybe even one they'd like to sell? :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts