Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Gun-Fu Wannabe; Just Living Life
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a silly question, but I’m pretty sure most people carry some form of hollow-point in their carry guns. The question is this: is your primary mag and backup mag loaded with the same? Or do you mix your loads with fmj and hollow-point in the same mag?

Is mixing loads asking for a failure if needed to defend, or does carrying all hollow point allow for some kind of legal trouble where the prosecution could say you had intentions to maim or kill by using hollow points?

Reactions: Shrek

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
Is mixing loads asking for a failure if needed to defend, or does carrying all hollow point allow for some kind of legal trouble where the prosecution could say you had intentions to maim or kill by using hollow points?
Good luck finding a successful case of that in Mississippi. Less free states, maybe.

Don’t overthink it. Pick a decent hollowpoint that is reliable in your chosen firearm, practice with it, carry with it. The end.

There are too many variables to consider when mixing ammo, why make it more complicated than necessary?

·
Rational Anarchist
14,498 Posts
I carry 135gn Hornady Critical Duty in all of my 9mm pistols. Hardball is only good for target practice, IMO.

However, I have been keeping ten 17 round Glock Pmags loaded with hardball and one in the AR9 with the thought that it would be just as good for critter (opossums, *****, foxes, etc.) duty around the house as my 5.56 AR or 10/22, not to mention quieter than the 5.56. I figure in those case most of the energy passes through the critter and I’d mostly be grabbing the AR9, instead of the 10/22, because it’s more fun.

I try to rotate out ammo I’ve been carrying after a couple of years and have never found any of that old ammo to have gone bad in that time. If while unloading the weapon to clean it or shoot targets with I find a round(s) to have tarnished or gotten setback or scratched, I replace it with new and put it to the side to be shot, not carried. Yes, I’ve shot setback 9mm, on purpose. I would not however do that with a .40.

·
Registered
16,179 Posts
Same ammo in all 3 mags. Hornady 135gr Critical Duty - 17 per mag.

And to some lawyer: Yeah, because if I have to use it my intention will be to stop the threat. That might take 51 shots on some doped up 250lb muscled up con on the run, or MS-13 types. Did you think my intention might be to miss, or just piss him/them off? :rolleyes:

·
Rational Anarchist
14,498 Posts
Same ammo in all 3 mags. Hornady 135gr Critical Duty - 17 per mag.

And to some lawyer: Yeah, because if I have to use it my intention will be to stop the threat. That might take 51 shots on some doped up 250lb muscled up con on the run, or MS-13 types. Did you think my intention might be to miss, or just piss him/them off? :rolleyes:
Same ammo and loadout a lot of cops carry. I was just following their example :).

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
Straight up JHP.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
I've read the argument elsewhere years ago (Massad Ayoob?) that use of JHP shows civic responsibility because it reduces the chance of over-penetration or ricochet as compared to FMJ projectiles.
But as posted earlier, in most free states, the type of projectile you use will not come into question if the use of deadly force is otherwise justified.

·
MSGO Court Jester
39,588 Posts
I carry HSTs in the gun and two extra mags.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
21,164 Posts
I've read the argument elsewhere years ago (Massad Ayoob?) that use of JHP shows civic responsibility because it reduces the chance of over-penetration or ricochet as compared to FMJ projectiles.
But as posted earlier, in most free states, the type of projectile you use will not come into question if the use of deadly force is otherwise justified.
Ayoob also recommended not to carry reloads, he had a case where lawyer brought up the shooter using reloads for the sole purpose of have "more lethal ammo"

I used to think that the type of projectile wouldn't matter in Mississippi if you had to shoot someone, but the way things are going I'm not to sure about that anymore.

Reactions: Henry Bowman

·
Gun-Fu Wannabe; Just Living Life
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ask because I happened to remember back when I got my first gun in Louisiana after Katrina, doing research and reading of cases where people had used jhp for a defensive purpose and the lawyers were all over them about why they needed such lethal ammo like leo used, that the regular person had no need for that and were prosecuting them for using it.

·
Registered
16,179 Posts
I ask because I happened to remember back when I got my first gun in Louisiana after Katrina, doing research and reading of cases where people had used jhp for a defensive purpose and the lawyers were all over them about why they needed such lethal ammo like leo used, that the regular person had no need for that and were prosecuting them for using it.
A lawyers opinion is no more valid than anyone else'. Their job is to win the case for the client, or the prosecution. It ain't about "justice" or honesty or anything else.

A question like this is a trick to get you to incriminate yourself. Right up there with; "Are you still beating your wife?"

·
Rational Anarchist
14,498 Posts
I don’t think that kind of lawsuit has any chance in the red (free-ish) states.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
I carry some flavor of JHP all depends on what weapon I'm carrying. I do like the critical defense line. That being said the 1911's have home loaded 200gn Speer "Flying Ashtrays" and the 10mm's have 180gn Golden Sabre. Years back had a buddy that was worried about carrying different ammo than he used to practice with so he carried 200gn SWC's in his 1911. I will say this, they will deliver the double black death ninja voodoo on Porcupines. I shot one with that load and it went clean through, half severed a front paw and severed a 1/2" limb that was behind the critter. Dropped him like stone.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I carry the most lethal ammunition I legally can. Back in the 70s and early 80s that meant Super-Vel exploding tip ammo (yes they had primers in the hollow point and yes it was commercially available ammo). Today that means Cor-bon's 200gr or 180gr loaded with Speer's flying ashtray.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
21,164 Posts
+1 on the "Flying Ashtrys" in 45acp

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
I carry the most lethal ammunition I legally can. Back in the 70s and early 80s that meant Super-Vel exploding tip ammo (yes they had primers in the hollow point and yes it was commercially available ammo). Today that means Cor-bon's 200gr or 180gr loaded with Speer's flying ashtray.
HA! Still have a box of the Super Vel's in .357 mag. My Dad used to carry them when he carried a wheel gun.

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
All hollow points. I carry them for two or three months and then shoot them up during a practice to keep myself assured the ammo functions reliably in my handgun and to stay familiar with point of impact. Always load back up with same brand and bullet. As for how I may be judged in court, I want to give myself every possible advantage so that I can make it to court instead of the grave.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts