Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I dropped by one of the local shops Thursday just to visit and spotted this S&W .38 sitting there. I knew it was an older one and it had a 5” barrel which isn’t too common. He made me a great price on it so it had to be rescued. Based on the markings it appeared to be a .38 M&P Model of 1905 4th Change. This model ended in 1942 with the introduction of the Victory model. I called S&W and they said it shipped in 1945 which didn’t make sense because the markings weren’t correct for the model introduced in 1945, the .38 M&P (postwar) “Pre-Model 10”. After doing a bunch of reading I found that S&W didn’t waste any parts. After the war, when they started back production on the civilian models, they started by using up leftover parts from the pre-war 4th change and the Victory models so I’ve ended up with a post-war gun with pre-war markings.

It has some wear on the bluing which should be expected for a 73 year old gun but it locks up tight and shoots great. It's hard to see in the photos but a good bit of the case coloring is still on the hammer and trigger. The grips are worn and I figured I would replace them. When I tore it apart to clean it I found they are serial numbered to the gun so they will be staying right where they are.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,673 Posts
Marty... Congrats on adopting this beautiful S&W... and you should have bought some lottery tickets the same day... just saying!!! :)

:101010::101010::101010::101010:

Yes... I would be very reluctant to change those factory grip stocks!!!

I've read before that S&W didn't waste parts. Such a practice even extended to the factory boxes their revolvers shipped in. This is mentioned in the Supica & Nahas book... :cool:

·
Super Moderator
8,231 Posts
. . . I found that S&W didn’t waste any parts. . . .
The same could be said for Browning. I have an Auto-5 Light Twelve from 1977 (the second year of production at Miroku in Japan), but the butt plate is marked "FN".

It's also true of Fender Musical Instruments. Leo Fender would purchase parts whenever he got a good deal. Potentiometers for instance (the controls for volume and tone) would be purchased by the boxcar load. You may buy a 1965 electric guitar, but the potentiometers date to 1948.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,491 Posts
LOL, boy you are like a bloodhound and can sniff out great finds. Excellent revolver.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
really nice !

I thought I read/heard that in the past S&W stockpiled models adding serial#'s when they ship not when they were made.

·
Premium Member
13,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I have read on the S&W forums the frames were completed in batches and put in bins/baskets. Later they were pulled out and finished, not necessarily in serial number sequence. There are no records on the dates of manufacture only the ship date. By serial number this one should be a '46 but the lady at S&W said it shipped in '45. I may go ahead and get a S&W letter on it. The '45's are much less common than the '46-'48's.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,673 Posts
...There are no records on the dates of manufacture only the ship date.
There are a few other gun manufacturers who do the same... and record the shipped date rather than the actual manufactured date... :)

Reactions: 22lrfan

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Very nice, its good to see that the screw heads haven't
been buggered up from the wrong type of screwdriver too.
Congratulations.

Reactions: Cliff731

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,296 Posts
Considering the age and it being blued, that revolver is in good shape.

Reactions: Cliff731

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,673 Posts
Just for full disclosure... I should state that S&W Model 10 revolvers... a.k.a. - Military & Police, Victory revolvers, Pre-Model 10 or any variation of the same... are JUNK!!! Made with pot metal and crudely assembled, ya'll. About all these are good for is a trot line weight! o_O

In the spirit of being magnanimous and truly helping others with the coming holiday season upon us, I will for the remainder of this year accept and take any of the above revolvers you wish and desire to cull from your collections... FREE OF CHARGE!!!

That's right... I'll forego my usual fee for such service for a no doubt selfless act of kindness... but can do this only thru the end of this year!

So... hurry and gather up what you have and shoot me a PM... I'll be in touch with you to arrange a courteous and prompt pick up (at no cost to you) of a said poorly built and dangerous firearm... and also save you the considerable risk of a potentially huge embarrassment with your family, friends, and neighbors knowing you actually had one in your possession!

Accept no substitutes... there is only one genuine "Cliff's S&W Model 10 Reclamation Service".

Act now!!!

:) :cool: ;)

(After January 01, 2019... my normal fee of $1.98 will apply for this service!)

·
Premium Member
13,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ain't Cliff great!!! We have some of the best people in the world on MSGO. :lol6:

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,673 Posts
Ain't Cliff great!!! We have some of the best people in the world on MSGO. :lol6:
Thanks, Marty... I'm just tryin' to give back to our MSGO "community"...!!! :D ;)

Reactions: 22lrfan and rigrat

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,296 Posts
He also volunteered to test the Holiday spirits early.:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts