Anybody else had a problem with CCI .38 shotshells in a revolver?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by NRA_guy, May 15, 2018.

1. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Distinguished Poster

Yesterday I got a call from a neighbor's wife. She said that her husband was sick in bed with a fever and there was a snake in their driveway.

I went over and dispatched it. I am not sure it was poisonous, but women are scared of all snakes and they have a small child playing in the yard.

I had bought some CCI .38 rat shot and used that in my Taurus revolver.

These:

[​IMG]

Problem is, after I fired the first round the cylinder would not rotate to a second round. The rounds have plastic ends.

The shells (the part beyond the rim) seem to be exactly the length of the cylinder, but after I fired it once, a few or the remaining unfired rounds seemed to stick out about 1 mm too far in the front of the cylinder.

I pushed the unfired rounds back flush in the cylinder and shot the snake a second time, but I need to test it again and see what the deal is.

I'll check the rounds and cylinder with a micrometer today.

2. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

I haven’t had any trouble with mine but it’s a .357, so maybe that’s why?

3. granjack

granjack Distinguished Poster

Quote from CCI website regarding center fire shotshells "Cylinder lock up may occur in light weight revolvers due to capsule movement resulting from recoil inertia." (CCI Ammunition - Pest Control & Speciality) Sounds like what may be happening to you.

jakeg823, maxhush, para40 and 9 others like this.
  4. DoyleAlley

DoyleAlley Distinguished Poster

I carry these in my "woods" gun that I carry during bow season. Only the first cylinder is loaded with snake shot - all the rest have normal rounds. Therefore, any problem with capsule movement is eliminated.

SLBcmtr, jakeg823, Mesquite and 3 others like this.
  5. patchz

patchz Court Jester

I've never had any such problems with them. But, I've only fired them in standard weight K and N frame Smiths.

6. granjack

granjack Distinguished Poster

I have never used those "Big 4" shells, but never had a problem from my Charter snub or my K frame with the standard #9 shot. Where did you find those, might have to try them out.

Mesquite, NRA_guy and Jarhead5811 like this.
  7. NRA_guy

Sorry. I cannot remember (and cannot find) where I ordered them from.

I probably just searched here:

Search Products | WikiArms AmmoEngine

8. NRA_guy

That sounds like exactly what I encountered.

I did notice that the aluminum cases are straight sided and have no crimp to hold the plastic securely.

Thanks.

Joe S., Jarhead5811 and Mesquite like this.
  9. Caleb C

Caleb C Distinguished Poster

Lake, MS
    I always crimp these when I hand load them. You'd think CCI would do the same. It's an easy problem to solve.

10. Henry Bowman

Henry Bowman Distinguished Poster

Other than not having enough on hand, I've not had any issues.

Joe S., Jarhead5811 and Mesquite like this.
  11. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Hum, the CCI I've shot have been through 357 also.
    Don't think I've ever loaded a full cylinder either, always want some stopping power mixed in.

SLBcmtr, para40 and Jarhead5811 like this.
  12. 2DARK2C

2DARK2C Distinguished Poster

but revolvers don't jam eva :warning:

13. BasMstr

BasMstr Distinguished Poster

I actually had this problem A LOT before I started loading my own. Only difference, they were causing the cylinder to lock up before any of them were fired. I always checked to make sure the cylinder would rotate when I loaded them. Had some that the rim was a little too thick.

Mesquite, NRA_guy and fordpkup like this.
  14. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I have used CCI shotshells in my 38 Taurus liteweight with no problems, but it was the 9 or 12 shot with the blue plastic cover. You wer using the newer 4 shot. Makes me wonder if there is a difference in the length or in the shell cover. And I have never had any problems with CCI Shotshells in 22LR or 22Mag 12 shot. They are a cut above the old crimped brass rat shot, I call the CCI snake shot and have for over 30 years. I have not used a shotgun for snakes since the early 90s. I would try it in a 357, you don,t want to mess up your timing on your 38.

Mesquite and NRA_guy like this.
  15. NRA_guy

I agree with everything you said.

I also want to pattern the 4 shot .38 CCI ammo to see what it looks like out of a snub nosed Taurus.

And yeah, I have always shot snakes with CCI .22 LR red end shot shells and with the all brass .22 LR crimped end shot shells.

I just ordered some CCI .22 WMR (magnum) shot shells for a tiny little gun like this:

[​IMG]

It should be interesting to see how it patterns. I figure I can easily take it with me wherever I go in my woodsy neighborhood.

16. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

My Dad has killed several snakes with snake shot in his.

17. Henry Bowman

Henry Bowman Distinguished Poster

There is one in my pocket every day. I started out with these when the wife's uncle showed me his when I was looking for a pocket pistol for my wife to carry in her scrubs. Her company has a no firearm policy but she carries her 9mm in her purse. Trouble is at work her purse is locked in her desk when she is away from it. A while back a home she was working had a nurse come into a patient's room to find her being raped. After that I said you WILL be armed at all times. She carries a quality folder but a knife ain't enough for me. The NAA's pistol is perfect because it's small enough it doesn't print in those thin scrubs and yet loaded with critical defense rounds it will give a baddie pause.

18. NRA_guy

You nailed my problem. I found 1 or 2 loose plastic tips that slide out easily (out of 8 shot shells that I had laying around).

Here is a regular .38, a regular .38 shot shell, and a .38 shot shell with the tip pulled out slightly:

38s (2).jpg

19. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Whops, that Would cause problem :eek:

Jarhead5811 likes this.