Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting closer to ordering a barrel for my 223 prairie dog gun build. Looking to mostly shoot 50 to 55 grainers...maybe some 62s. Might occasionally see 60 nosler partitions for long range hogs.

I've settled on a Shilen 24" barrel machined by Dedicated Technologies (DTech) in a 1:10 twist with a match chamber. They will match the bolt and square the receiver.

My indecision is I can't decide on a bull (.936") or a medium/HBAR (.875") contour.

Old school is using the bull barrel. I've heard a few say the heavy barrels are hard on the threads in the aluminum upper. Any truth to this? Other considerations other than the obvious weight difference..DTech said about a 1 1/4 lb difference in weight? Such as how much heat dissipation difference will the bull vs. medium have? Accuracy differences if any? Gun bounce...want to keep them cross hairs on the PD to see the red mist fly.

Let me know any considerations I should think about before I make a decision. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I'm no expert Ed but does 1:10 seem a little slow for 60-62gr at distance? The barrel length give it the ability to stabilize them?

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm no expert Ed but does 1:10 seem a little slow for 60-62gr at distance? The barrel length give it the ability to stabilize them?
I've consistently seen 1:12 is good for up to 55's with a 24" barrel due to velocity at 3,200+ out to 300+ yards. Don't remember 60's. Shilen said the 1:12 was good for up to 62's to 400 yards. For PD's I will not shoot this much past 350 with this rifle. So, don't have to worry about stabilizing out past 400 yards. At 350 yds the 220 swift comes out. At 500 yds the 243 Ackley Improved comes out.

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going with the medium contour which is a straight .875. Not as stable as the bull but maybe I can use it for some long range varmint shooting around here.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I think .875 medium/HBAR will be fine. For the weight a bull barrel is not worth it. It really comes down to the logistics of carrying the rifle. If your not carrying the rifle far, it doesn't matter. Still you are probably going to use the rifle with the HBar more often than a bull barrel rifle.

I would think 1:9 twist would be ideal for 50 to 62 grain bullet weights. :2cents:

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think .875 medium/HBAR will be fine. For the weight a bull barrel is not worth it. It really comes down to the logistics of carrying the riffle. If your not carrying the rifle far, it doesn't matter. Still you are probably going to use the rifle with the HBar more often than a bull barrel rifle.

I would think 1:9 twist would be ideal for 50 to 62 grain bullet weights. :2cents:
That's kind of my thought process.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
If you not going to regularly shoot a bunch of rounds back to back strings in 90 plus degree weather, the heat should not be a big problem.
Only other thing I might consider would be a fluted barrel. I have shot 62-64 grain pills [deer hunting] out of the older Colt barrels with no problems. But I was not shooting long distance. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts