Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Blessed are the peacemakers
1,293 Posts
I have the Larue MBT trigger, I absolutely love it and it’s around $80.

·
I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the Larue MBT trigger, I absolutely love it and it’s around $80.
I have a feeling I might check those out. I've never heard of them before but they seem to be what I'm hunting for.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Palmetto State's enhanced AR trigger is really decent. Under 100 bucks. Couple it with a reduced power trigger spring and I'm at just under 4 lbs.
Just put an Anderson polished SS trigger and hammer in uncle's AR9. I stoned it a bit and it turned out sweet. I haven't put it on the gauge yet but I'm guessing around 4-4 1/2 lbs. It too is well under 100 bucks.

·
Registered
10,445 Posts
They are expensive, if you shop around you can almost get two of the ra140 for what one cmc costs
I got my only CMC for less than $100 on Black Friday sale. See them for $130 pretty regular. Its pretty good but I much prefer the Velocity triggers.

I have 1-RA140, 1-CMC flat 3.5#, 1-POF, 4-Velocity, 1-no name, several milspec with spring kits and take up screws, and 1-Trigger Tech (not under $200)

Of the under $200 triggers I would rank them
1) Velocity
2) CMC/RA140 (CMC is smoother but due to mounting style the entire body has a little wiggle)
3a) POF
3b) polished milspec with wolf TRIGGER spring, stock hammer spring and take up screw (this usually ends up between 3-4#) May have to remove bump that is common on the hammer sear engagement.

5) no name drop in

For the money if you can polish and do some stoning the milspec can be made quite good for $10 wolf trigger spring and set screw. May also have to cut grip screw 1/8” shorter, and on some rec where the hole isn't threaded all the way thru you can grind the set screw to fit thru. Joe Bobs also sells a grip screw that has been drilled out and a long set screw installed in the middle for about $10-12, but the set screw is cheaper and works with most receivers. To be a little more clear on the hammer engagement surface, when you pull the trigger, you dont want the hammer to move backwards (positive engagement) or forwards (negative engagement and very unsafe) you want to to stay perfectly still until it breaks. Then polish it with flitz etc to remove the gravelly feel that the standard milspec is known for. This rule pretty much applies to all trigger jobs that involve a hammer, obviously not counting DA.

I feel like the velocity and RA140 are pretty equal in value even though the velocity cost $20-30 more. I think it’s a better trigger, plus i like the trigger shape a lot more. It is essentially a timney without the name as the owner worked for timney for years.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,012 Posts
I got my only CMC for less than $100 on Black Friday sale. See them for $130 pretty regular. Its pretty good but I much prefer the Velocity triggers.

I have 1-RA140, 1-CMC flat 3.5#, 1-POF, 4-Velocity, 1-no name, several milspec with spring kits and take up screws, and 1-Trigger Tech (not under $200)

Of the under $200 triggers I would rank them
1) Velocity
2) CMC/RA140 (CMC is smoother but due to mounting style the entire body has a little wiggle)
3a) POF
3b) polished milspec with wolf TRIGGER spring, stock hammer spring and take up screw (this usually ends up between 3-4#) May have to remove bump that is common on the hammer sear engagement.

5) no name drop in

For the money if you can polish and do some stoning the milspec can be made quite good for $10 wolf trigger spring and set screw. (May also have to cut grip screw 1/8” shorter)

I feel like the velocity and RA140 are pretty equal in value even though the velocity cost $20-30 more. I think it’s a better trigger, plus i like the trigger shape a lot more. It is essentially a timney without the name as the owner worked for timney for years.
So you rank the Velocity #1 with which trigger curved or straight? Guess I really need to get a few of the take up screws and some polish.

·
Registered
10,445 Posts
Here is a scientific comparison if you want to take a look. Surprisingly there are some big name triggers (looking at you Geissele) that get shown up by much cheaper ones.
The AR-15 Drop-In Trigger Roundup - The Truth About Guns

So you rank the Velocity #1 with which trigger curved or straight? Guess I really need to get a few of the take up screws and some polish.
Out of the sub $200 triggers, yes. All of mine are curved but its pretty close to straight just with a little contouring. The Trigger Tech is the best one I own but its more expensive and is somewhat of a two stage by design (extremely light first stage with no creep once you hit the wall) the comparison in the link above takes the first stage as creep, same for AM Gold.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,359 Posts
I have a few flat CMCs, love them. Got them on sale for right at $100. I'd like one of their newer lighter weight ones but don't need a full blown complete trigger upgrade in anything right now.

All my other triggers have this and it makes a huge difference for how much it costs. It's the first upgrade I recommend folks for their ARs.
JP Rifles
Could even buy on eBay for a while, can't seem to find it in there recently.

·
Registered
10,445 Posts
My problem is I start thinking of what all I could buy with the money spent on a trigger and then don't buy one.
I went back and edited my first post with info on how to do the milspec trigger job. Its actually pretty easy once you do it the first time. Its not quite as good as the dropins but its so much better than than standard gravelly milspec.

The JP Spring OMM listed is also a great option if you want all new springs. Kaw Valley has a set that does pretty good as well.

Just get a spring kit to reduce poundage, a screw to minmize takeup, and stone & polish to smooth it up.

*Stoning the bump on hammer sear reduces some poundage as well since it doesnt have to push the hammer back farther in order for it to release.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts