Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had this thought while watching a YouTube vid. Is any military, cased ammunition reloaded? I'm not taking about small arms ammo, but conventional, cased rounds used in artillery and naval guns. If not, why not? Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that would be especially different than loading rifle or pistol ammo, except - obviously - scale.

If it's not done in the US, do any of you know what the protocol is in other nation's militaries? When I was in the South African Army we usually policed our 7.62 NATO brass, but (obviously) didn't reload it. We had mortars, but, of course, those rounds aren't cased ammo. For greater range we used doughnut-shaped booster charges on the mortar rounds, but those are wholly consumed upon firing. I was in an infantry unit, so never had much to do with tanks or artillery and in those days, never thought to ask.

It's my understanding that artillery ammunition is pretty darned expensive, so it seems that there would be an incentive for at least some poorer countries to reuse the cases if possible.

Best regards
Doc

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,343 Posts
Turkee still goes to Colorado and Arizona to shoot the big stuff. 105mm, 155mm, 57mm, German Pak 40, 25mm, 35mm, and few others. The most complicated part is the powder itself is considered an explosive so gotta have a lot of license and compliant storage facility.

i see you

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,343 Posts
The issue is, it's hard to find the shells and when your lucky you can find some of the training rounds that's been fired and you can get the projectile and reuse it.

Here is a 105 that was a training round, note the projectile loose in the case, had to be easy when chambering it but it was fun to shoot.

i see you

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
Turkee and Dock Rocker were reloading for their 57mm cannon.

View attachment 127139
This is just a black powder blank round because we were at Magnolia.

Pretty sure that was the day at the range he let me pull the lanyard on the little one. Said if we were in a more secluded area he'd put enough powder in it to make the tires jump a foot off the ground.

:lol6:

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,343 Posts
This all I can find on my phone.

37mm leaning up against a chair.
Projectile cnc lathe turned with Delrin driving band to protect barrel.
We reloaded it with a 50bmg primer setting off a black powder charge in a pic pipe with holes in it that set off the cannon powder charge. We used a small solo cup to measure the powder......

Factory 20mm vs 45acp. Got pic of reloads somewhere.

German Pak 40 going off and burning the hair off our arms...
Notice rag blowing over left shoulder that was in hand.

I think the green tip was a 35mm? I'll have to go look.. I do rem it was $450 per round.

i see you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts