close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Arisaka I acquired during tax free weekend update

Discussion in 'Mil-Surp/C&R/Black Powder' started by burb1989, Sep 12, 2016.

1. burb1989

burb1989 Distinguished Poster

Saucier
    Hey everyone. I know I briefly went over this rifle a little bit during the tax free weekend but I figured since the Lyman show is coming up and the gun nuts will be out this weekend I would bring this out and show it off exactly as I got it. As I said before it is a series 10 Nagoya, making it one of the last models of type 99 made, in the 96,000 SN range putting it at the end of the series. The stock is a very late three piece fore stock, which gives the uneducated the idea that it is a duffle cut rifle, which is incorrect. Looking the stock over I now believe that there is no shellac over the finish, rather it has been very lightly sanded as it still has a reddish color to it just not as dark as it should be. Also every screw holding it together has been buggered to some extent but they can easily be replaced with better looking ones to make the rifle at least display a bit better. Apparently this rifle and the modified bayonet were purchased from the same veteran's estate that had been sold to a pawn shop several years ago and whoever had knocked off the rear sight was the one who modified the bayonet's grips into a plexiglass material. The bore is extremely shiny and the action is very smooth for a late war gun so I think it'll make a great shooter though I'll probably still love my mid war transitional arisaka better as it's in way better condition and is a fantastic shooter despite being 70+ years old. This one however is a perfect example of bubba not completely screwing with a good piece, at least not enough to negatively affect the value in a huge way.

Attached Files:

maxhush, Southshorerob and 22lrfan like this.
  2. tonoavail

tonoavail Distinguished Poster

Dont arisakas take a strange or obscure round? And if so how do get a hold of them?

3. burb1989

Saucier
    The later ones usually don't have rods but if you have a grasp on which series the rifle is then you can find the correct length rod for a rifle. They also sell tons of repros on ebay of the common lengths like the longer push in cleaning rod for most early type 99s and the short screw in rod for most of the mid war ones

4. maxhush

maxhush Distinguished Poster

NW MS
    Arisakas can be chambered for either 6.5 or 7.7 Arisaka (or "Jap(anese)"). I believe that 7.7 brass or ammo has been available commercially from Norma or PPU at some point. Now finding ammo or brass for an 8mm Siamese Mauser, there you got a real challenge (and they were made in Imperial Japanese arsenals).

Apparently Hornady makes (and sgammo carries at times) 7.7 ammo:

7.7 Jap Ammo | SGAmmo.com

Apparently the "Hornady" brass is made by PPU (PRVI Partisan). I know I've seen the PPU loaded ammo come up before somewhere like SGAmmo. PPU brass (out of stock, naturally):

Graf & Sons - PRVI PARTIZAN BRASS 7.7x58 JAP UNPRIMED 100/BAG - Graf & Sons

Here's another place to look for the ammo:

7.7x58mm ammo rifle

I'd consider it more of a handloading proposition (once sufficient brass has been acquired). .303 British bullets should be the right diameter and weight class for handloads.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    Southshorerob likes this.
  5. burb1989

Saucier
    Woops I thought he said rod not round:groan:. I guess that's what I get for reading too fast. Anyway just as max said Hornady and Graf & Sons makes 7.7 ammo but I believe it costs around $40 for a box of 20 rounds. Brass and bullets are available out on the market as well but unless you have a bunch of ammo for them arisakas in general aren't cost effective to shoot on a regular basis. I've been lucky in the sense that my dad bought several thousand rounds of 7.7 so I can shoot any of my type 99s without having to worry about running out of ammo.

6. maxhush

maxhush Distinguished Poster

NW MS
    For most bolt actions (excluding things like oversize chambered Enfields), if you can handload and find/use neck sizing dies for the caliber, I generally consider about 200 pieces of brass sufficient to last me for quite a while or even a lifetime supply if it's not something I shoot regularly. :)

7. Doug Bowser

Doug Bowser Distinguished Poster

I have made many rounds of 6.5x50mm and 7.7x58mm Jap ammo from common cases made in America.

The 6.5 Jap ammo can be formed from .35 Remington. The 7.7 from .30-06. They are both slightly undersized but does not seem to matter. I must admit, I did this before Boxer primed brass was available for these calibers. I have also successfully formed 6.5x55 Swedish cases from 7x57, 8x57 and .30-06 brass.

8. burb1989

Saucier
    Thankfully I've amassed a few thousand rounds of 7.7 but due to the, at the time, minimal amount of 6.5's I had I only invested in and was able to find one box of 6.5 from an obscure ammo guy at a gun show. Now I guess I need to try and find some 6.5 but I only really have one shooter for that caliber. I now have three shooters for my 7.7 but I really only shoot one on any kind of a regular basis.

9. RD Myers

RD Myers Full Poster

Might want to check with Powder Valley. They had PPU 6.5 Jap in 100 count bags for around $60.00 including shipping. I purchased 7.7 at that time.

10. steve2112

steve2112 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Clinton
    Wait, I thought the tax free weekend was later this month? The 25th or so?

11. burb1989

Saucier
    It is. This post was from last year's tax free weekend.

Mesquite likes this.
  12. steve2112

steve2112 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Clinton
    Guess that's what I get for not paying attention to dates. Not enough caffeine this morning, I guess.

Soonered likes this.
  13. burb1989

Saucier
    Don't feel too bad. Happens to the best of us from time to time.