close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Armslist question

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Trashy, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Trashy

Trashy Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Have any of you had any luck dealing on Armslist? Buying or selling? I usually check the MS listings every week or so just to see if anything peaks my interest. In the last 2 - 3 months I have messaged 3 - 4 sellers regarding their listings, I have yet to get a reply from any of them. And they're all in MS.

Is my message getting through? My e mail is listed when I send the message, but as I stated, I have not received a reply from any of the sellers. Am I somehow doing something wrong or is this just the way Armslist is?

2. DaveZilla

DaveZilla DirtDragRacer

I have sold 1 or 2 and bought a couple or so. There are a couple of dealers that use it each week. They must be getting some action, they place ads weekly.

3. Hrdnox

Hrdnox Distinguished Poster

Pretty common occurance Trashy. Happens to me all the time. I figure the item has probably already been sold and the seller just doesn't realize he needs to clean up after himself. I suspect most of the one time sellers use a disposable e-mail account and never even know you've inquired. Keep trying, though, because every now and again you'll happen into a great deal.

4. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I have noticed if they only say Mississippi, they are not from Ms and don;t respond. They need to show a town.

5. CajunBP

CajunBP Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I have wheeled and dealed on Armslist a few times as does a guy in the office. We find them to be gun nuts like us. We have met sellers at coffee shops or restaurants. Once they reply, neither of us have had a bad experience.

6. steve2112

steve2112 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Clinton
    That's what I've seen, too. If it just says "Mississippi", they ain't from around here.

7. 22lrfan

22lrfan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I've bought a couple and sold several dozen on Armslist. I haven't had any bad experiences. I did have a problem with not receiving emails from prospective buyers a while back. I had to open a new account with a different email address.

8. 22lrfan

22lrfan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I've bought a couple and sold several dozen on Armslist. I haven't had any bad experiences. I did have a problem with not receiving emails from prospective buyers a while back. I had to open a new account with a different email address.

9. Trashy

Trashy Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Yeah, I agree with the "from MS" part, most have had MS towns listed,,,,, Jackson, Meridian etc. Like I said, there's only been a couple emails I've sent, but zero response.

But, there was the one time about a year ago, a guy had a S&W 610, I believe 4" barrel for $800, pictures looked good and I know they were selling for a good bit more than that. I had a friend in WI that had been looking for one and I put him on the listing, he could not get through to him so I attempted to reach him since he was in N MS. We exchanged a couple e mails and then he went cold, either sold or something else. You know what they say.....if it sounds to good to be true.....

10. chris_k

chris_k Distinguished Poster

I've had ok luck. I just sold one on armslist in less than 8hrs. Usually my stuff sits in there for awhile but I have sold a few on there, never bought anything

11. Hrdnox

Hrdnox Distinguished Poster

One showed up this morning that I'd be real leary of. Lists it as a Gen 4 Glock 22 at an unbelievable price, but it looks an awful lot like a gen 3 to me. Might be bad news.

12. Rw

Rw Distinguished Poster

I have never gotten anything besides offers of half my reasonable asking prices or tire kickers asking 500 questions that never show up to meet off there, doubt i will bother again. It is not much better than craigslist as far as weirdness in my experience.

13. Gremmward

Gremmward Full Poster

Brandon
    Yeah, I saw that too, it is a gen3

14. steve2112

steve2112 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Clinton
    I saw a Springfield M1A for $650 the other day. It's either a typo, or the gun is stolen or broken.

15. chris_k

chris_k Distinguished Poster

When price is too good to be true, it's usually a scam

Ruler2, Trashy and steve2112 like this.
  16. wkmyers62

wkmyers62 Full Poster

Never just bought anything, but have traded and sold a few things. Never had a problem with the emails going through, although I have heard of some having problems. So far all experiences have been good. Maybe I've been lucky, but everyone that has contacted me has always come through and were serious about offers. Only had one try to lowball me, but eventually we even worked out a deal with some cash and trade. All that being said I try to use it as little as often and obviously prefer to sell to someone I know. I've even given some stuff away to friends just to avoid the hassle of listing it and having to find a time to meet for the swap with someone I don't know.

Trashy and fordpkup like this.
  17. SMissCCJ

SMissCCJ Glad to be here

Trying to sell one right now to a gentleman in Vicksburg. He says he is former LEO, and asks to have serial number sent to him for checking. Red flag?? Don't know the guy either.

18. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Distinguished Poster

19. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

This raises flags to me... and causes some alarm bells to go ringing.

I would have no further contact with this individual and refrain from selling to him.

You don't know him personally - and his request is out of line. There's too much risk to you there.

Otherwise, my thoughts are he's free to check the s/n after he buys it from you.

mascott and Trashy like this.
  20. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

Of course, he might just be on the level with you... and actually is a former LEO and all.

But, if that's the case, you gotta ask yourself if you really want to deal with someone that paranoid, suspicious, quirky, and oddball???

stewbaby and mascott like this.