Mississippi Gun Owners banner

At Columbus Wal-Mart.....

4K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  HerrZnk 
#1 ·
......while cruising for ammo I was surprised to see a brand new H&R Buffalo Classic 45-70 for sale in the gun case. Nice looking rifle with checkered walnut stock and blue/black receiver rather than case colored. If I remember right, H&R ceased production about 6 years ago. Thats quite a while to have one sitting in the warehouse unless some gun company brought H&R back to life and I missed the story. Priced at $412.

#8 ·
I hate it, pretty soon one must go only to a licensed, specialized shop to purchase or sell a firearm, just like in European countries that still allow firearms ownership.
I can't say I blame Walmart though. In the political climate in the USA, 21st century, it is the only way to go as far as corporate management goes. Think in terms of a corporate manager: you are charged with doing what is best and most profitable for your store, area, district, region, then company as a whole. That doesn't necessarily mean doing what conforms with your personal politics. You are responsible for protecting and promoting the profitability of the business. With the threat of poor public image and lawsuits (fiscal loss even if you win a lawsuit), it does not make sense anymore to sell firearms. A low-margin item to begin with, now that sector is a liability. They can make more profit selling appliances and clothing than anything firearm related. Why open the company to unnecessary risk? Of course Mr. Sam and the first through probably third generation of Walmart management would stick with firearms for reasons of sentimentality and a sense for American culture, but I guarantee you that those leading the company now do not run the business based on sentimentality! If you doubt this, ask yourself what happened to the "MADE IN THE USA" campaigns of the late 90s - early 2000s. If it doesn't contribute to profitability and competitiveness, it has no place in their current business model / culture. Soon Walmart will be just like Target and KMart (do they even exist anymore?). No firearms, no ammunition. Frankly I'm surprised they've gone this long selling firearms and ammunition. Remember when Gander was taken over by management that wanted to change the chain's focus to "outdoors" and less on firearms? I think they're called "Camping World" now. I expect Academy to downsize or eliminate firearms and related items within the next 10 years if not sooner. The changing political climate has many deep ramifications, not just on the hoops through which one must jump to purchase a firearm, but also down to the corporate level. That is what we are witnessing here.

#13 · (Edited)
There were, of course, halcyon past days when one could saunter into a local hardware store... or a Western Auto retailer.. or a Sears & Roebuck store - don't forget J.C. Penney's and "Monkey Wards" too... or even a local "gunstore"... and buy a firearm in a totally unhindered manner. (y)

All that was needed afterwards was to plunk yer money down... with the only "paperwork" involved being either your folding money - or your personal bank check (or bank's "counter" check) inked in... along with said store's paper sales receipt to follow. Then - you were literally walking back out the store's front door with your "new" gun and back on your way home...!!! :)

All of those days seem to be so very far away anymore... :(

One could even "mail order" a firearm from the back pages of a magazine or such... and have it arrive at their front door courtesy of the U.S. Post Office...!!!

But... as @HerrZnk has sagely remarked... times have not only changed... there's no doubt more change coming down the pipeline into our future.

#14 · (Edited)
Add on here... just for the "historical" record... this 1966 event is the first tragic "mass shooting" as I recall hearing of & viewing "in progress" on a B&W television set (regular network programming was interrupted to cover this). Of course, it was reported by print media news too - after the fact.

Some of our "innocence" truly began to be lost that August 1966 day in Austin, Texas... and, of course, what happened on November 22, 1963 in Dallas, Texas remains etched into our national psyche...

Alas, I don't recall any media nor political uproar to ban certain classes of firearms and demand universal background checks in the aftermath of what happened back then... but it all led to and contributed to "The Gun Control Act of 1968".

#15 ·
Our "national innocence" was lost even before there was a United States of America. Most of American history was violent and bloody. That's the nature of humanity. You might reflect that Christianity and Judaism have the Ten Commandments and other religions generally have the same prohibitions against similar transgressions as the Commandments. Human nature is pretty similar around the globe.

One very basic difference between conservatives and leftists is that conservatives recognize Man's fallen nature - and the existence of evil - and work constantly to discipline and improve themselves. Even when they don't, they are still aware of inherent evil and their personal failings. Leftists think everyone is inherently good and that endless regulations here and sociological tweeks there will eventually achieve their NIrvana on Earth. This constant busy-body attitude also conveniently provides millions of bureaucrats with easy employment.

I think that the Texas Tower Shooting was, largely, such an aberration because the poison of leftism had not yet permeated American society (to the degree we see today) and let our inner demons become so much more socially acceptable. Also, in those days, potential mass shooters realized that there were a lot more people willing to shoot back! The worm is slowly starting to turn now with widespread CCW and Constitutional carry. While crime rates are still high, this is much less true in Red States, where violent criminals are aware that they're more likely to be shot than in leftist hellholes like Chicago, New York and LA.

Personally, I'm a libertarian and don't believe in any of the firearms laws (or the vast majority of other laws), which are just another manifestation of the liberal busybody phenomenon. Man's laws have a dismal history of miraculously creating moral societies.

Best
Doc

#17 ·
H&R got bought up by PSA. While I haven't heard any word on them being in production yet, I wouldn't be surprised if they were. Many of Remington's former holdings are already back up and running under their new owners. Remington's ammo is being put out as we speak, Remington 870's have officially made their way back to the market from Rem Arms, Barne's Ammo being put out by Sierra, and etc. I think the only big one most people are waiting for right now is Ruger with Marlin.

#19 ·
They said they would, namely because after they left there was a huge void in the single shot rifle market. It was down to imports like CVA and Henry mostly. Traditions was another one too but the H&R's were well regarded and affordable. Henry's when announced were around $150 more than most H&R models out and they just had a recall over their triggers. So new H&R's as long as they were built well would be welcomed for sure.

#25 ·
Maybe you were sleep walking. It is probably one found somewhere IN THE WAREHOUSE, but I read a week or so ago who bought the H&R in the Remington sell off. I was so happy that Ruger bought Marlin that I forgot the groups name that bought H&R but I will look it up. I just read a few posts back and see that some of our folks remember that it was PSA. I hope they do some good things with the brand.

#26 ·
JJE Capital Holdings bought H&R, they own Palmetto State Armory. They also got DPMS, Stormlake, AAC and Parker brands in the deal too.
Parker SXS :unsure:

Reactions: DEADEYE 1
#28 ·
I hate purchasing firearms at Walmart, sometimes it’s worth it, my biggest gripe is they don’t recognize CCP, so easy to get delayed in busy weekends

#29 ·
Knock on wood, I’ve never been delayed anywhere. The only store my permit has smoothed the way for me in is High Caliber in Long Beach.

I’ve bought more guns at Wal Mart than anywhere else over the years. Although High Caliber is a fairly close second.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.