Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
10,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not had to fill out a Form 4473 for a gun purchase in a long time, but I looked at it and wonder about some of the questions:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4...n-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download

Why do they need to know the buyer's gender, ethnicity, and race?

I understand that the ethnicity and race questions are confusing lots of buyers. The US is a melting pot, as we know, and lots of folks are not sure how to answer the question. (I doubt that there is a right and wrong answer. They probably just want the data in their records. It seems racist to me in today's sensitivity climate.)

And I bet some get hung up on the gender question, too.

It only gives two choices: Male and female. :)

And the weight question probably bothers some folks, as well.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,732 Posts
No doubt the ATF is crunching numbers and generating demographic statistics on just "who" is buying guns... naturally, of course, for their internal use only... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
I have not had to fill out a Form 4473 for a gun purchase in a long time, but I looked at it and wonder about some of the questions:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4...n-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download

Why do they need to know the buyer's gender, ethnicity, and race?

I understand that the ethnicity and race questions are confusing lots of buyers. The US is a melting pot, as we know, and lots of folks are not sure how to answer the question. (I doubt that there is a right and wrong answer. They probably just want the data in their records. It seems racist to me in today's sensitivity climate.)

And I bet some get hung up on the gender question, too.

It only gives two choices: Male and female. :)

And the weight question probably bothers some folks, as well.
The race/ethnicity question has always been a problem. The ATF clarified it with the new form that came out last month, but still no one reads. It's especially difficult for Hispanics, because they don't see themselves as white, black, etc, and it's even more difficult for illiterate whites who have no idea what Hispanic means.

We do our 4473s on a tablet, so that helps, since it asks one question at a time, it doesn't overwhelm people as easy.

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
Oh hell, just have fun with it. Put in whatever you feel like. Not like somebody is gonna show up and check your answers.
I had a girl once who was probably 4'10, maybe 90lbs soaking wet write that she was 6'4 and 220lbs. I didn't catch it till after she left, because we don't question that portion just make sure it's complete. Definitely gave me a good laugh.

·
Premium Member
21,644 Posts
Thought all those forms were supposedly destroyed.
... and not forwarded to the ATF until the seller gives up his license or goes out of business!! How the hell do they compile data if they do not have the forms???

·
Registered
10,810 Posts
My personal theory is that when they go into an FFL to "review the books", they have some non-obvious cam, like the google glasses cam thingy, and gather info from every 4473 that way.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
... and not forwarded to the ATF until the seller gives up his license or goes out of business!! How the hell do they compile data if they do not have the forms???
Cap, now that I think about it (yeah, I know that is scary), I was talking about the forms, not the book. Thought the forms were only kept a short time?

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
Cap, now that I think about it (yeah, I know that is scary), I was talking about the forms, not the book. Thought the forms were only kept a short time?
From page 3 of the current 4473:
After the transferor/seller has completed the firearms transaction, he/she must make the completed, original ATF Form 4473 (which includes the Notices, General Instructions, and Definitions), and any supporting documents, part of his/ her permanent records. Such Forms 4473 must be retained for at least 20 years and after that period may be submitted to ATF.
Also on page 3:
FORMS 4473 FOR DENIED/CANCELLED TRANSFERS MUST BE RETAINED: If the transfer of a firearm is denied/cancelled by NICS, or if for any other reason the transfer is not completed after a NICS check is initiated, the licensee must retain the ATF Form 4473 in his/her records for at least 5 years. Forms 4473 with respect to which a sale, delivery, or transfer did not take place shall be separately retained in alphabetical (by name of transferee) or chronological (by date of transferee's certification) order.
If I had a dollar for every asshat that threatened to whoop my ass because I wouldn't give him "his" form after the sale was stopped for whatever reason, I wouldn't need a part time job.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts