ATV spreader recommendations

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by Jeffery8mm, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Jeffery8mm

Jeffery8mm Distinguished Poster

I am in the market for an ATV spreader. I have one for my 3pt hitch so the big stuff is covered. This would be for "over seeding" if a plot looks sparse and such as that. Also. I will want to spread fertilizer {mid season ammonia} with it so any tips on cleanup and maintenance will be appreciated. I can fab up brackets and such if need be, I want to mount it on the front rack, I think!
    Thanks
    Jeff

2. JohnDeere

JohnDeere Deplorable

MS
    Most electric have plastic hoppers so it won’t be as bad to rust.
    And they come with brackets.
    Sorry not much help on brand. I have one but dunno the brand.
    And I’m in TX for next 38 days.
    I wash then douse mine with diesel if nitrogen has been in it.

Read reviews before you buy!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    94LEVERFAN likes this.

3. Xd357

Xd357 Moderator Staff Member

Bolton
    Whatever you do I’d make sure that it can’t sling stuff into your bike. As for clean up a farmer told me to wash with soapy water then soak it with wd-40.

JohnDeere likes this.
  4. LOBO

LOBO Distinguished Poster

We've been using a Moultrie for several years now with no complaints. Sorry, I don't know what model it is though. It is a rear rack mounted spreader.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    94LEVERFAN and JohnDeere like this.
  5. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Cousin Chris has had a pull behind atv spreader that has held up well for 10 years or so with mediocre maintenance. I can check the brand if you like. I have no experience with front mounted ones but would be concerned about getting fertilizer on my 4 wheeler.

Xd357 likes this.
  6. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

For the big fields, I use a big spreader behind my tractor. About 13 years ago I ordered a spreader from Cabalas. I mounted the bracket on the back of my rear rack. It is removable, just unsnap the wiring harness. The wiring harness comes with a toggle switch that I mounted to the side of my rear rack. and I keep several bungee cords on my rear rack. When ready to use, I slide the spreader down on the bracket. I leave the wiring harness connected with big zip ties. I slide a battery that I put on slow charge the night before. Put a bungee cord over the battery and put a bag on the front rack of seed and one in the feeder/spreader, then off I go. The one I have will hold well over 50 lbs. I think mine is the ON TIME brand. If you use fertilizer, you need to make sure that you always rinse your 4 wheeler off good up under it, anywhere that fertilizer might get.

7. 94LEVERFAN

94LEVERFAN Distinguished Poster

Moultrie is good. Wash with water and then rinse with diesel fuel when done.

JohnDeere likes this.