Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Auto ordnance/kahr Thompson replica

Tags
thompson
3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  malibu12 
#1 · (Edited)
Thinking about rolling the dice on an auto ordnance m1a1 Thompson replica. Reviews are very hit and miss. Half say they have no issues and the other half say they can't get through a mag without a jam. My ultimate goal is to sbr it to look authentic. But a thousand bucks plus tax stamp and barrel is alot for a gun that won't shoot reliably. The problem is, that it's such a cool gun that I want it bad enough to roll the dice. Anyone ever owned or fired one of these? I have the auto ordnance WWII replica 1911 and it has been an awesome and reliable shooter. It seems as though their quality went up since the kahr buy out

#3 ·
Yes, sir. I do.
@Matthew Wheat I don't know where you're located, but you are more than welcome to shoot mine. Mine is the 1927A1 variant (featuring the cooling fins and muzzle compensator).

I've never had a moment's trouble from mine, using either the drum or stick mags, with either factory or hand loaded ammo.

Here's the thread on mine: Possibly obtaining one of my "Bucket List" Guns

#4 ·
Man thats awesome. I'm in mccomb. I might would take you up on that. I just wonder if the platform is basically the same with the top charging handle versus the side on the m1a1. Maybe some variations are more reliable than others ? I dont plan on shooting hollow points or anything fancy out if it, just standard 230 grain ball

#7 ·
I own a M1A1 and would suggest getting a 1928A1 they are somewhat different and much easier to handle. The M1A1 as you mentioned has a side charging handle; which is VERY small and honestly I was pretty much unable to fully rack the bolt with it. My research suggested a recoil spring change which I have not done. I did however replace the bolt handle with a oversized one which made it manageable. The M1A1 also does not accept drums; only stick magazines. The other major difference is the shoulder stock on the M1A1 is non-removeable, it is fixed. There are a number of smaller differences but nothing that really jumps to mind right now.

That said my M1A1 hasn't been shot a lot; maybe 200 rounds or so. This has all been 230gr ball and if memory serves has been 100% reliable. I haven not tried any ammo variations in it so can't speak to reliability with HP etc.

Reactions: Blondie70
#11 · (Edited)
It is the commando model , but the black wood was ugly ! I ordered the surplus wood foregrip from https://www.gunpartscorp.com . you will have to take a little out of the inside with a Dremel to make them fit. The GI barrel has a different profile.
It took me about 10 minutes of fitting . The grip and stock are drop-in. I ordered the M1a1 Thompson parts as the m1928 stock won't work on guns with non detachable stocks .

Another great place for parts is http://www.e-sarcoinc.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.