Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Just another day!
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to what ya’ll think about schools opening. If you have school age children, do you feel comfortable sending them back to school? If you don’t currently have children in school, I would like to hear your opinion as well. Our local school district is catching all mighty heck for not offering an online option. They are, however, offering a home bound option with medical documentation.

My thoughts: I think our district is right to require the students to come back to a “traditional” setting. Mask will be required when social distancing is not an option. Additional sanitizing precautions are being put in place on all campuses. Extra custodians are being hired for sanitation efforts. Daily routines within the school day are being altered to promote distancing.

I have 3 children grades 6-12 that will be returning. I have little hesitation in sending them. The fact is that this virus does not effect the school age demographic any more than any other virus....many times less.

I have been against closing the schools from the beginning. We closed when we had very few documented cases in our State. 5 months we have been closed. Now we have record numbers and the schools will open in a few short weeks. If this was ever about the numbers, that is a hard one to explain.

It would be nice if opinions are allowed without getting brow beaten. I would like your honest feedback without hesitation so I hope that will be the case.

Thanks

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
19,664 Posts
I don't have school aged kids anymore but if I did I doubt I would send them back just yet. I would home school them for this upcoming school year at least. Two of my sisters and a BIL are teachers who just retired in the last few years I'm sure we could work something out

·
μολὼν λαβέ
34,730 Posts
I have 5 grandsons 2 which of which are school age. One kindergarten I believe or pre-K the oldest 4th grade. I don't like the ideal of them opening the schools if the virus is truly as bad as they say. Reason being is they first said it doesn't affect children bad then they said it did. And they never said they can't get sick with it.

But lets say it doesn't affect them very bad.

What about the parents and grand parents they come into contact with that it does affect bad?

Do you expect kids that young to wear a mask? Not be touching everything they can get their hands on and their and others faces?

Why would the Gov complain about large gathering , push masks and social distancing and then herd our kids and grand kids together like sheep to spread the covid to everyone they come into contact with?

Doesn't add up to me.

IMO either they are lying about the covid or they want to spread the covid through the kids they want to heard together.

It's a tough decision to say the least I just would not chance it for now.

So I'm with Bubba I'd home school this year. Now if I could just get my son to do that, and get my daughter to quit her cafeteria job I'd be good.

·
Rational Anarchist
13,965 Posts
I honestly would be more concerned about the statist indoctrination they get in government schools. Of course, we are homeschooling our three kids.

·
Registered
980 Posts
  • I think on average kids probably get a better education being home schooled where there are fewer distractions and the teachers are more invested in a good outcome for their small group of students.
  • I think there are a lot of valuable lessons kids learn by actually being in a school that they won't learn being home schooled.
  • I think kids for the most part will be safe if they choose to return to the classroom.
  • I think faculty, staff, relatives, and friends will be at much higher risk if schools return to operation.
  • I think adhering to masks and social distancing in schools won't even last as long as Lane Kiffin will at Ole Miss.
  • I think people who talk about "additional sanitation measures" are kidding themselves when we all know that thoroughly performing those additional sanitation measures will most likely fall on the shoulders of people whose education, skills, and background led them to a career requiring a rag and a can of Pledge to begin with.
  • I think we're going to see a lot of good teachers quit or take early retirement because their $28K a year doesn't include "hazard pay".
  • I think it's going to be a sh!+ show of some choosing to home school, some choosing/demanding remote learning provided by the schools, some returning to the classroom, etc. and will lead to a lot of butt hurt and grief for all involved.
  • I think the lawyers will have a field day suing everyone involved when there are outbreaks and it's proven that some school sponsored activity was ground zero.
  • I think the disparity between public and private will become even more evident which will probably lead to more outrage and protests.
  • I think as stimulus money dries up, more zombie companies (not profitable for some time but kept alive by grants, loans, and whatever else) finally die, etc. that the second half of 2020 is going to be much worse than the first, which will only add to the problems faced by parents.
  • I don't know what to think.

·
Infidel
4,151 Posts
It should be based on if the person has a strong immune system according to the parents. Even healthy enough without underlying conditions.
I believe the schools here are providing three options. Online, staggering days, or everyday physically at school.
My son is a college senior, my daughter a college freshman. Most of their classes are online already and won’t go back after thanksgiving. Pick back up in 21.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
34,730 Posts
I think if the virus is bad enough to require masks and social distancing then why in the hell would you subject your kids to it? Wait unless they have been lying or just plain down right stupid on the matter and shooting from the hip.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
MDE had a "Virtual" statewide conference with school officials a day or 2 ago, to maintain social distancing, yet they want our daughter and other teachers to meet in person with 20-30 kids in a room all day.
There's a crisis looming for MS public schools:
I only saw one story about this, then it was "disappeared", but older teachers who have more than enough time to retire yet had already signed their contracts for the 2020-2021 school year are saying "forget this, pull my license if you want (for breaking contract, that's what MDE does), but I'm staying home and retiring." The majority of these teachers have multiple health issues, and a lot whom I know personally have stayed on mainly for the state health insurance, Blue Cross. But they're scared of getting infected, especially with the lower grades.
This can & will be a very serious problem if schools do open. Haven't heard much about what private schools are planning, but I imagine they are facing the same decisions.
Dr. Dobbs is holding a virtual :rolleyes: statewide conference for educators to address questions about re-opening and I'm going to try to get in on it just to watch if possible. I'd advise anyone with children in public schools to try and do the same, if we can.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
It should be based on if the person has a strong immune system according to the parents. Even healthy enough without underlying conditions.
I believe the schools here are providing three options. Online, staggering days, or everyday physically at school.
My son is a college senior, my daughter a college freshman. Most of their classes are online already and won’t go back after thanksgiving. Pick back up in 21.
People with strong immune systems can still get COVID and have long-term damages (see my other post); secondly, they can and are transmitters.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I'd be fine with my daughter doing virtual schooling, COVID or not. She's capable of doing it successfully. Her only complaint would be not being able to do show choir. Not all kids learn well in that environment though so it's a tough call. Any expectation that the kids will remain masked is not based in reality.

Reactions: CoastRat and rigrat

·
μολὼν λαβέ
34,730 Posts
Good Old Dr. Dobbs knows little but acts like allot.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
If one child, one teacher, one custodian, one physical plant (maintenance, grounds keepers), or one cafeteria worker is tested positve, do y'all realize the entire school will be required to shut down for quarentine, and all must be tested? Not making this up, I know this direct from school sources. Who's paying for that?
You, dear taxpayer.
A postponed start is prudent, not just from a health & welfare standpoint, but also from a financial standpoint.
VERY INTERESTED in what Dr. Dobbs will have to say today about re-opening when he addresses state educators, and takes their questions about re-openiing.
Virtually, of course
ETA: with regards to maintenance/ground keepers: Since the aforementioned go to multiple schools within any given district, if one of them is tested positive / becomes ill (maintenance go in individual classrooms & buildings to make repairs) THE ENTIRE DISTRICT MUST GO ON QUARANTINE.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
34,730 Posts
I'd be fine with my daughter doing virtual schooling, COVID or not. She's capable of doing it successfully. Her only complaint would be not being able to do show choir. Not all kids learn well in that environment though so it's a tough call. Any expectation that the kids will remain masked is not based in reality.
Any expectation they will social distance is also a fantasy world.

·
Rational Anarchist
13,965 Posts
There’s so much BS going around about COVID that I honestly do not know what to believe, but I’m leaning towards reviving the economy, even if the risk are as high as the most pessimistic claims. The economic collapse being the bigger risk because when it hits the disease will still be with us.

All of that being said I like the idea of the schools staying closed. My biggest worry about keeping them closed is that with so many trying out homeschooling (not at home government schooling) would cause legislators to start enacting legislation to force government curriculums on everyone.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
34,730 Posts
If one child, one teacher, one custodian, one physical plant (maintenance, grounds keepers), or one cafeteria worker is tested positve, do y'all realize the entire school will be required to shut down for quarentine, and all must be tested? Not making this up, I know this direct from school sources. Who's paying for that?
You, dear taxpayer.
A postponed start is prudent, not just from a health & welfare standpoint, but also from a financial standpoint.
VERY INTERESTED in what Dr. Dobbs will have to say today about re-opening when he addresses state educators, and takes their questions about re-openiing.
Virtually, of course
Do you really think Dobbs will say anything but he is for opening the schools? Mark my words he will ramble about masks , distancing , low chances for children , blah, blah. Dollar to doughnuts he will back Tater tot.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Do you really think Dobbs will say anything but he is for opening the schools? Mark my words he will ramble about masks , distancing , low chances for children , blah, blah. Dollar to doughnuts he will back Tater tot.
You are probably correct but I am under the impression this will be a "town hall" type of meeting, and I can say the questions from educators / administrators will be contentious. That's what I want to hear. Can he / will he answer their questions.

Reactions: rigrat

·
μολὼν λαβέ
34,730 Posts
You are probably correct but I am under the impression this will be a "town hall" type of meeting, and I can say the questions from educators / administrators will be contentious. That's what I want to hear. Can he / will he answer their questions.
Exactly. Either way , town hall or not watch his answers/comments bet he is , mask, SD, kids are very low risk, blah, blah in response to the questions. Dobbs is a Tater Tot man, if he wasn't he would not be the one advising Tater Tot.

I hope the educators put him threw pure hell with their questions and concerns.

1 - 20 of 218 Posts