Back to the jungle - Army training

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness/Self Sufficiency' started by GunnyGene, Dec 16, 2017.

1. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

I hope the Army is doing this right, but I was not impressed by the video clip in the article.

Excerpt:

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  2. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

3. GunnyGene

Comparing the Foxnews video to what a real jungle is. Vietnam near Cambodian border 1970.

Southshorerob and fordpkup like this.
  4. Quickeye

Quickeye Vietnam&PersianGulf Wars MSGO Supporter

Ah! Those thrilling days of yesteryear!
    The enemy referred to was probably the 66th NVA Regiment. Ho Chi Mhin's "Fighting Tigers" made up of mostly Nungs, (large boned mountain people despised by the people of the low-lands)
    I was surprised to see 1st Cav there, since this was our AO, 4th I.D.(Iron Horse).
    Bear in mind Hawaii was an R&R center, and the 25th was in the low-lands in the South. This is an actual picture of triple canopy jungle near Pleiku, the "Central Highlands" near Dragon Mountain.
    The tactic of "assault through an ambush" will NOT work in the dense jungle. Hill 947.gif

5. GunnyGene

Nice pic. Looks like a nice place for a picnic with your honey ;). Until you realize that it's filled with critters big and small that want to drink your blood, a host of diseases, and nearly unbearable heat and humidity. :rolleyes:

Where there is an abundance of life, there is also an abundance of death.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Blondie70 and Quickeye like this.
  6. Quickeye

4or5 abreast in an assault posture, pretty much guarantees an abundance of death. If the implication of the video clip is that the US will be sending troops to a jungle environment, whether it be Indonesia, Philippines, or Africa, those guys better train up on GPS and if the Army still uses the grid system, train-up on that too. Why do they think there were so many firebases in S. Vn?? They, (U.S. troops) need to know where they are every second, and every man in the squad, platoon or whatever needs to know how to call for arty or an air strike. (Need to saturate an ambush with whatever.)
    From what I've seen most Indonesian countries , islands, are mountainous, as is the Philippines.
    The 1911A1 needs to be reissued to these guys too.
    The .35 cal bullet from a handgun just won't cut it.
    (Remember the Moro's!!!)
    'Course our current Sec Def is well versed in adaptation,
    and overcoming obstacles, physical or political. I call him "The Preying Mattis".

Blondie70 and fordpkup like this.
  7. GunnyGene

The 1911 design is a good combat pistol design (disregarding the proliferation of knockoffs for comp, etc.). But it needs modern ammo - higher velocity, better penetration and expansion, and increased capacity. 7 rnds of old ball ammo @ low velocity just ain't gudnuff.

This is not important when you can call in a missile from a drone, or arty, but when you're in the jungle things are much more personal and in your face.

Blondie70 likes this.
  8. Quickeye

Well, I carried an M-16 in the jungle. I shot at the enemy and he shot back. I could have used 30 rounds instead of twenty for those in your face encounters, and I never carried a .45, so I really wouldn't know. But I do know Gen. J.S.Hatcher did testing on real cow cadavers until he was told to cease and desist perfecting a round for the Army in the Philippines, and wrote a book on "stopping power"

9. vr1967

vr1967 Rooinek Amerikaanse

10. Quickeye

Not since Carter gave it back to the Panamanians!
    The Jungle Operations Training Center (79-80) was a beautiful training facility, complete with blue butterflies and annual crab migration.
    Every now and then I Google Earth it and it sure has changed. Ft. Sherman is still recognizable, but Ft, Davis and Ft. Gulick, (School of the Americas) are unrecognizable.
    Noriega took his pound of flesh.
    You could look into the Atlantic and see tropical fish swimming around free.

Blondie70 likes this.
  11. vr1967

vr1967 Rooinek Amerikaanse

Photo is late Dec 89 or Jan 90, so not a regularly scheduled JOTC school nor much of a sight seeing tour

Good ol Jimmy. At least he is runner up now.

12. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter