Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Rational Anarchist
14,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I’ve been toying with the idea of setting up a little range behind the house. Yesterday, the Wife and I tried shooting pistols and an AR off the back porch and now I know I need to do some chainsaw work and brush clearing, and soon. I didn’t take pictures yesterday because we were busy but I will start a thread to walk through my progress, when I get started.

Below is a picture from this morning showing a rough idea of where I want to clear. My rangefinder says it’s 47 yards to the brush, which is actually a berm from when the property was cleared, at some point. That’s a pretty tall ridge behind it. I’m sure it’s more than a 100 yards to the top. So, with some time and money, I think I can have my dream of a backyard range similar to Hickock45’s.
4E67F956-13B6-445A-941B-F2B65395DE57.jpeg

(BTW, the ENO hammock chairs are a must, if you have a place to hang them.)

We shot my new, to me, Gen4 Glock 19, new, to us, Taurus Model 66 7-shot .357, her XDS 9mm and my 16” AR with EO TECH sight.

I only had .38spl for the Taurus but after a little shooting I got the sights adjusted and i found that I really like it. I believe, being stainless, it’ll be great for yard/woods carry (almost the same thing where I live). She liked it but, being used to autos, found the grip to be a little awkward. We’ll have to work on that and maybe get a different grip.

As usual she enjoyed shooting her XDS, but then she tried the Glock 19, now I’m afraid we’ll be in the market for a second Glock 19. She even likes the Galco Classic Lite shoulder rig. Being I only plan to carry it on the weekends, I think we can share, for a little while, at least. She mostly wants to wearing while walking on the road.

I should have known not to let her shoot the Glock 19. I lost my Gen3 19C when I let my mom shoot it, she loved it. So, when a few years later we were in a tight, my stepdad and her offered to buy it with the intention of letting me buy it back later. So, being country folk they weren’t in the habit of locking their car doors. So it was stolen from their car, before I had the money to get it back.

I should have my butt kicked but it was the first time I ever went into great detail on how to shoot the AR. Having her dry fire and try out different positions. She really enjoyed it and found it quite easy to score hits on with, at 25-30 yards. I really need to get a sight on the AR I have picked out for her.

We then spent an couple of hours going over field stripping and cleaning all of the above. It was the first time I’d every used a bore snake (I had recently picked one up for .357/9mm) and it makes me feel like a dummy for not having gotten one sooner. Now, I feel we need .30cal and .22cal versions.

We both had a blast and even though I never have thought of myself as much of an instructor, she said I “did great!”. Which I take to mean I wasn’t too obnoxious. I think she is as excited about a backyard range as I am!

·
Rational Anarchist
14,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Needs some steel plates,
I have a few, but yes, I need quite a few more. @phillipd is gonna get some more business from me, soon.

My Wife’s favorite thing to shoot was a little ball of self healing rubber. I spent a lot of time going to fetch it from where she’d kept push it out of sight.

·
Registered
11,451 Posts
My Wife’s favorite thing to shoot was a little ball of self healing rubber. I spent a lot of time going to fetch it from where she’d kept push it out of sight.
Ever try attaching it to a stake with some fishing line? I've never used one, so I have no idea if it would work, but don't see why it wouldn't.

Heck, now I want to go buy one and try!

·
Rational Anarchist
14,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ever try attaching it to a stake with some fishing line? I've never used one, so I have no idea if it would work, but don't see why it wouldn't.

Heck, now I want to go buy one and try!
I’d bet the fishing line thing would work. The dang thing likes to hide behind the trees :p

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Great way to spend the day. Btw, I am open to the idea of being adopted

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Sounds like a good time.

Reactions: Jarhead5811

·
Rational Anarchist
14,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like a good time.
It sure was, I’m mostly tickled that she really enjoyed it.

Also, if anyone doesn’t have one of those Magula magazine loaders, you should really get one. It’s far better than any I have tried before. We shot well over 200 rounds of 9mm and didn’t get any sore thumbs.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
21,153 Posts
Nice little spot for a backyard range.

·
MSGO Court Jester
39,480 Posts
Man that's ruff, having to "fetch" a ball for your wife.
smiley-emoticon-708-tv and film-emoticon-tv.gif

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Just stand on the other side and shoot it back! /s

For new shooters, those cheap cans of shaving cream are a required investment. I've always wanted to shoot a can of great stuff to see what happens but the clean up prevents me.

·
Rational Anarchist
14,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, we had a lot of fun yesterday!
BE95133D-8392-44D7-9D87-F27A4AE12D60.jpeg

In preparation for the day I loaded all of my new 17 round MagPul GL9 PMags and four Glock 43 mags. If you don’t have a Magula loader you owe it to yourself to get one!
C8454F3B-540F-491A-B6A4-0B8BB4E06DAF.jpeg

His and hers.
B17E671E-D985-4B42-BEBD-BB893B3101DA.jpeg

All 9mms present and accounted for.
DE98F242-87B6-4B34-BF3E-C7B7815A3DB7.jpeg

Ready to go!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts