Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preface: I am not currently replacing a barrel on any of my rifles, nor do I plan to try. I will take my rifles to a qualified gunsmith for this service. I am simply curious to know the correct process.

Reference: Barrel replacement on 1903/A3, M1917, K98, etc.

When replacing the barrel on a milsurp rifle, it is necessary to line up the witness marks. I've read that it is best to hand fit the barrel until it is within ~5 degrees of center, then to torque the remaining 5 degrees until the witness marks line up. In the event that the new barrel and the receiver are far from 5 degrees, should you remove material from the barrel or the receiver? I've seen videos of it being done both ways, but none with any explanation as to why it was done either way. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I prefer to take it off the barrel shoulder,
This was my immediate assumption when I began researching this process, as it seemed the more logical option. However, I’ve only seen this process demonstrated by professionals with access to machine tools, such as a lathe. How would a gunsmith with a small shop, or a hobby enthusiast, someone without a lathe be able to remove material from the shoulder? Certainly not with a hand file or a Dremmel tool. Lapping, maybe?

·
Registered
697 Posts
This was my immediate assumption when I began researching this process, as it seemed the more logical option. However, I’ve only seen this process demonstrated by professionals with access to machine tools, such as a lathe. How would a gunsmith with a small shop, or a hobby enthusiast, someone without a lathe be able to remove material from the shoulder? Certainly not with a hand file or a Dremmel tool. Lapping, maybe?
Cut a hole in a sanding disk and put it between the receiver and the barrel, barrel threads through the hole, grit towards the barrel, screw it down just slightly snug so you can still turn the paper back and forth. Takes forever but its doable.

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,886 Posts
I own one of these with a heavy 20 inch stainless 308 barrel It has the witness marks lined up that you mentioned.
I checked the headspace before installing a scope and it is perfect. It appears this rifle was sporterized for deer hunting sometimes in the last 50 years and they installed a synthetic stock. I would say that all work would be done on the barrel, or probably most. But I am always open minded if there is an easier way.
[Not a professional, I just play one on tv]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts