Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished setting up the club house at SW Gun Club for this weekends Basic Pistol/ECC class. Last report was around 20-25 signed up. Should be a good class.
@HerrZnk @Doug Bowser

9103728C-3FE8-4ECA-BEEC-BC705BB0995C.jpeg

Reactions: DEADEYE 1

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a great morning for a Basic Pistol/ECC Class at SW Gun Club. 31 students!! 31!! That’s the biggest class we’ve had since I joined the club. But it was almost 33. We had two registered students, both African American, who backed out at the last minute because they felt uncomfortable. Let this serve as a PSA: SW Gun Club DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE. We welcome everyone, regardless of labels. The 2nd Amendment is for Everyone. If you are legally able to own and possess firearms, then you should seek out training. We at SW Gun Club encourage everyone who wants to carry a firearm to get that training and we will not discriminate against any responsible person, for any reason. I cannot speak for these two individuals, because I didn’t speak directly to them, but I sorely wish they had stayed. It troubles me, the times we live in, where we feel uncomfortable being around anyone that isn’t “like us”. It’s time for that to change.

There was no one there that day, student, instructor or volunteer, who would have treaded those two people any differently. Now, if they left because they “have a problem with white people”, then that’s on them, not SW Gun Club or its members.

Aside from this minor issue, the class went swimmingly. We had to run three relays on the firing line due to the large class. I was paired with two ladies, one each in the two relays I was able to help in. Both were novice shooters and new gun owners. They each did excellent. They took instruction well, retained what they were taught, and shot good groups. They asked good questions, were properly prepared and maintained a safe attitude during their course of fire. It was pleasure to coach them.

Unfortunately, I was not able to stay the whole day and help with the third relay. I was due in at work and had to leave early. I’m hoping that our next class in April will be as big a success as yesterday’s.

·
Senior Curmudgeon
643 Posts
We've had a large number of people come through the course at SWGC who were not middle-aged white men, from college students to great grand mothers, and I personally coached an African-American grandmother who had never handled a gun. They all had a great time and left with smiles on their faces.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
My Basic Pistol/ECC class instructor in DeSoto County five years ago was African-American. He was a retired Memphis police sergeant, and originally from Jackson, MS.

Great class and range experience!

Our class had a grood learner mix: young and old, male and female, black and white, experienced and novice, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts