Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Gun-Fu Wannabe; Just Living Life
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I can't afford to buy all that I want, maybe if I learn to fix other's, I could then afford?

Anyway, the two things I love are cars and guns. I was thinking I should learn something to do with my spare time, and gunsmithing can be done INSIDE!

So where does one go about learning to be a gunsmith?

·
Super Moderator
8,328 Posts
I took the old gunsmithing courses offered by ICS (International Correspondence Schools) back in the early 1990's, but it was mainly as a hobby, and not a career path.

I think nowadays, the courses are offered online by Penn Foster.
Gunsmith Program | Penn Foster Career School

Of course, the best option, IMO would be to apprentice under a reputable smith.

·
Registered
456 Posts

·
Gun-Fu Wannabe; Just Living Life
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took the old gunsmithing courses offered by ICS (International Correspondence Schools) back in the early 1990's, but it was mainly as a hobby, and not a career path.

This would be ideal, if there was a reputable in the Hattiesburg area. Many years ago when I was really getting into guns, I went by this little shop called RedStick Firearms in Baton Rouge, bought a few things here and there and they had an indoor range I used quote a bit. Got to know the people and the owner let me come in a few times a week after my regular job and help out in the shop in the back, they mostly did alot of AK work, were well-known for it nationally. I gave up on the guy after a few weeks when he wouldn't let people go see his daughter in the hospital when she had her 1st(maybe 2nd) kid. Refused to let them go during the day at work, even if on lunch, nor after hours at all. If you showed up, fired. He did it.

I thought, screw that kinda attitude and never went back. Years later, there's a TV show about a gunshop in Baton Rouge. Yep, you guessed it by now, "Sons of Guns". I worked in his shop before the bastard got big on TV, then got bigger for FFL fraud and the rape/molestation charges he's now in prison for.

Now, the current owner Joe Meaux, that was actually the real brains of that operation, is a great guy. I know him as well, he used to come into the O'Reilly I worked at there for his dirt track and race cars he built.

Anyway, Hattiesburg, reputable smith's?

·
Registered
67 Posts

I also took the ICS course back in the 90’s. But I found it to give only a rough outline of what I really needed to know.
So I quit my job and went offshore. Bought up all the books I could get my hands on and on my downtime at work, I’d read, study and plan projects. Come home and worked on my personal stuff and that of family and friends. The actual hands on was the second step.
The third and biggest step was actually going into business. That’s when the real learning began. Once you hang the shingle and work starts coming in, the real education begins. And it never stops. If you think you have it all figured out, it’s time to quit.
A really good way to learn is refinishing(bluing, coating,ect.). The complete stripping and reassembly is one of the best ways to learn how the firearm actually functions.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Reactions: Southern Reloading

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,330 Posts
My Dad was a gun collector, I was a hunter. I refurbished some guns that he had back in the 70s or 80s and I almost filled out the paperwork to get a FFL license back in the late 80s. I read everything in the form of magazines about guns over the last 40 years.
Then my health took a nose dive in 2003 and I had to retire from my job that required climbing. Just prior to that I spoke to a gunsmith friend about buying him out when he retired. Another man a MD did first.
You can buy instruction books from MIDWAYUSA, BROWNELLS. I bought a building and started doing repair work on neighbors guns in 2007. Make friends with dealers. Fix one at a time, do the best you can. Even if you lose money, do it right. It takes longer that way, but if you are determined and stubborn it can be done. Go buy some cheap fixer uppers and fix them. Always you will learn something new.
There is a Piedmont school and I think one in Oklahoma too and the NRA puts on some summer courses around the country.

Reactions: para40

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
You can learn a lot by reading, especially the old books that show you how to do a lot of things by hand that are now usually done on a lathe or milling machine. "Professional Gunsmithing" by Walter Howe comes immediately to mind, but he wrote other titles also.

Some of the gunsmithing tools are expensive, but many are the same ones you work on your car with. At a minimum, invest in a good set of gunsmithing screwdrivers (hollow ground tips) and hard stones in several shapes and sizes and start doing trigger jobs on your own guns with one eye in the books. You'll pick up the basics quickly. You can also often buy broken guns from pawn shops and work on repairing and fixing them up.

Have fun! Oh, and by the way, don't use those good gunsmithing screwdrivers on ANYTHING except guns.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Gunsmithing

If you're serious about it this used to be the best program in the country, I am sure it still is. When you get done here you can build a rifle with a file piece of wood and an old axle from a 1970 roadrunner.

·
Premium Member
14,699 Posts
Now that I have a few minutes to talk about this. I looked into some internet corses,some local-ish votec classes,and a few far off technical schools......for how I live and what I have to contend with in life I just couldn’t make it work.
So......I’ve been buying books,and a few tools a little along. Seems like the best option for me as I don’t have 25k for any internet/mail order school and I can’t be leaving my family and home to run off to never never land to pursue a passion I have.
School of hard knocks will probably be my tutor.......only problem I have now,I am too chicken to cut on anything lol

·
Curmudgeon extraordinaire
8,084 Posts
Reactions: Ellis93

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,737 Posts
Now that I have a few minutes to talk about this. I looked into some internet corses,some local-ish votec classes,and a few far off technical schools......for how I live and what I have to contend with in life I just couldn’t make it work.
So......I’ve been buying books,and a few tools a little along. Seems like the best option for me as I don’t have 25k for any internet/mail order school and I can’t be leaving my family and home to run off to never never land to pursue a passion I have.
School of hard knocks will probably be my tutor.......only problem I have now,I am too chicken to cut on anything lol
Come hang out with me or I'll come to you and hang out over the weekend. I can cut on your stuff until you are comfortable enough to do it yourself.

:lol6:

·
Premium Member
14,699 Posts
Come hang out with me or I'll come to you and hang out over the weekend. I can cut on your stuff until you are comfortable enough to do it yourself.

:lol6:
We’ll film it and sell the product off as a horror flick! Lol

Reactions: rigrat

·
Curmudgeon extraordinaire
8,084 Posts
I know I know.......pull on the big boy drawers and get to it. I know. Lol
Rig, Rig, Rigrat.
He'll cut it.
He'll cut any and all,
possibly including circumcisions.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,737 Posts

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,737 Posts
Rig, Rig, Rigrat.
He'll cut it.
He'll cut any and all,
possibly including circumcisions.
Negative on the last NEGATIVE!

·
Registered
13,207 Posts
I do a good bit of work for the shop i work at, best thing i can tell you is if you are not good at diagnosing things and are not mechanically inclined look into another field. Half of what i run into is older stuff that you have to figure out the correct way to take it apart. Best money in the field is refinishing work, especially custom cerakote work.
I would recommend contacting billy tierce in utica, he is one of the best known smiths in the state. He may still take on apprentices. Hands on is much better way to learn than a textbook or online course. Then you could use that on a resume.
Just taking online course and starting to repair guns is not a good way to get into it, you will probably starve.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts