Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Benelli M4

4K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Rebel Rifle Ordnance 
#1 ·
Thinking about pulling the trigger on an M4. Benelli has a $200 rebate until the end of July. My only problem is I have no more room in my safe and I don't want to sell anything, lol. Any Benelli tactical shotgun owners out there?

#5 ·
dont let the benelli bs fool you. she still kicks like a mule with defense loads in it. Low recoil buck aint to bad, but full power stuff still thumps. She holds alot of fire power with 6 in the tube 1 in the chamber 6 on the reciever and i have another but stock that will hold 5

#6 ·
O FYI if i had it to do over again i would have gotten a SPAS. you can find great used ones on GB right now for $800-900 vs the M4 of 1400-1800 lol its also pretty much the same operating system as the M4 its just selectable from semi auto to pump which is a nice feature for when :shtf:

#14 ·
they are a purpose built weapons platform designed to fire an exact brand of ammunition. In alot of ways they are like 1911's in the fact they were ment to feed ball ammo and is why some hp rounds dont feed well. The M4 was deisgned to operate flawlessly using military 00 buckshot. 2 out of 5 winchester white box loads wont feed or eject right. Remington premeir wont eject right 1 out of 5. wolf 2 3/4 buck feeds like a champ. Winchester supreme elite duck and turkey loads feed great. Fiochi seems like they screw up about 1 in 3. Other M4 owners kinda say the same thing but most pick a brand like federal premium for buckshot and stick with it. which seems the be the best out of all of them. Ranger 00 buck is a waste of money. o and the M4 makes a piss poor duck gun lol the argos system is not as temp tollerant as they claim they are and no mater what ******* says you dont ever have to clean a benelli is a load of crap for the M4. I was shooting some brown bear or golden bear buck with the local deputies back home and after about 10 rounds of that junk my M4 was an expensive single shot. Aint played around a whole lot with slugs because the first ones I tried was hornady SST slugs and those units will make a believer out of you. When she is on guard duty at the house i keep it packed with remington/winchester turkey loads #2,4, or BB with the last few rounds as slugs.. If you get one i recommend calling benelli and tell them you are having lots of feeding problems after breaking in. From what i have been told if you send it back they will use a cylinder hone and open your chamber up a small fraction and do a reliabilty job on it at no charge.

All of the above info was on my gun only. some of my friends reported an exact opposite saying theirs loved WWB loads, Federals wouldnt eject, and Wolf buck was gods gift to humanity. But the moral is the m4 is about as picky on what it wants to eat as a 4 year old is. Thats my take on it.

#16 ·
3spop said:
We always called them jamanellis. :)
lol. I have a love for eccentric picky guns.

Both the LAW and SPAS 12 have two major problems. 1st the internal recoil buffer will be destroyed. Not a matter of if but when. If you are cleaning your weapon and notice plastic shards everywhere, it's toast. There is a more durable aftermarket replacement, very pricey but supposedly will last a lot longer. If you shoot the gun without the recoil buffer, it could destroy the receiver.

Secondly, the "lever" safety on all LAW and SPAS will eventually fail and cause a ND. This is extremely dangerous. I've had it happen on my LAW and another SPAS that I previously owned. It fails in this manner: Gun cocked loaded and on safe, depress trigger, rotate lever safety to fire position and BANG. It's quite a hair raiser, happened to me twice. Fortunately I was in the woods and gun was pointed up on both occasions. Scared the every living monkey out of me. I had no clue why it went off until I started doing some research.

The only option is to replace the trigger group with one that has the cross bolt safety(not likely unless you find a junked SPAS or LAW) or completely remove the lever safety. You still would have the tactical safety by the trigger guard but in this case, no safety is better than faulty one.

The cross bolt safety fixed this issue.

The other issue I have with the SPAS is the WEIGHT. She is one portly lumax. Sometimes I feel like an Arab toating around a rocket launcher (my wife says I have arab ancestry because I be white but dark).

But dang it is intimidating. I've never had the opportunity to intimidate with it but that would be one fun day, lol.

#21 ·
Good info.

Not to hijack, but I've been considering a short barreled semiauto 12 gauge.

I have run into the above in my searches.

I kind of am leaning towards either a Mossberg SPX or FN Self-Loading Police Shotgun (SLP).

I don't care for the pistol grip on shotguns.

There is a video on Youtube comparing these two models.

The FN costs about 2 times the Mossberg.

FN owners say Mossbergs are crap.

Mossberg owners say FNs are overpriced.

What's a man to do?

#23 ·
Nothing wrong with an 870. I just bought one and am waiting for it to arrive. In all honesty, I may would choose the 870 in a pinch if I were trying to lock and load in the middle of the night. Their are no frills to have to contend with. With the M4, you have to make sure that you push the button to chamber the round. I don't like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.