Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently sold a Beretta A390ST shotgun, which I acquired in a trade and never did anything more than have a gunsmith disassemble, clean, and inspect it. The guy from whom I got it, insisted it was a "Silver Mallard" edition. My "Blue Book of Gun Values" (37th ed.) describes the Silver Mallard in great detail - all of which aptly fit my A390 variant. When I sold the shotgun, the new buyer informed me it was not a "Silver Mallard," but was a "Sport Trap" (hence, the "ST" appendix). He stated the "Silver Mallard" would have those words engraved on the receiver. My problem is that according to the BBGV-37, the Sport Trap only came with a 30 or 32" VR barrel. Mine had a 26" VR barrel (as described in the "Silver Mallard" section).

So here's my question (for you Beretta experts): Was my A390ST a "Silver Mallard," or a "Sport Trap?" Be kind, I claim no expertise in imported shotguns!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I’m no expert on Beretta but someone may have swapped the barrel at some point and/or I have found quite a few discrepancies in the Blue Book.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I have a few SilverMallards and all are marked accordingly. IIRC the ST was produced when the a390 came out around 1994 and is an Italian term for shoots anything. SpurraTutu?

I’ve heard people say it stands for Steel or Super Trap, but my recollection is it’s the Italian term.

I’ve got one in woodtgat my son has named Old Faithful when I use it. Hands down my favorite, but it’s got some dings despite me babying it. Just part of hunting.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,732 Posts
I recently sold a Beretta A390ST shotgun, which I acquired in a trade and never did anything more than have a gunsmith disassemble, clean, and inspect it. The guy from whom I got it, insisted it was a "Silver Mallard" edition. My "Blue Book of Gun Values" (37th ed.) describes the Silver Mallard in great detail - all of which aptly fit my A390 variant. When I sold the shotgun, the new buyer informed me it was not a "Silver Mallard," but was a "Sport Trap" (hence, the "ST" appendix). He stated the "Silver Mallard" would have those words engraved on the receiver. My problem is that according to the BBGV-37, the Sport Trap only came with a 30 or 32" VR barrel. Mine had a 26" VR barrel (as described in the "Silver Mallard" section).

So here's my question (for you Beretta experts): Was my A390ST a "Silver Mallard," or a "Sport Trap?" Be kind, I claim no expertise in imported shotguns!
If you retained the s/n, you can search on BUSA's website for identification... or you can also phone BUSA's customer service line and talk with one of their c/s representatives.

Reactions: 4x4moses

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you retained the s/n, you can search on BUSA's website for identification... or you can also phone BUSA's customer service line and talk with one of their c/s representatives.
I tried the website, but the S/N was not found. The shotgun has been sold, but it's still buggin' me! On a lighter note, I'm really liking the Kimber Micro 9 I got on trade!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts