Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do y'all know of anyone around Jackson that can disassemble and thread a barrel on a Beretta CX4 Storm? I spoke with DPR and Swann's and they both said that it takes special tools that they don't have to remove the barrel from the stock. I found a place in Texas that can do it for around $100 but I like to use local folks when possible. Any help would be appreciated.
-John

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For those of you wondering what ever became of this thread:
After some extensive internet research, I was able to locate a picture of the tool that is used to remove the barrel nut on a CX4. I bought an appropriately sized deep impact socket at Lowes and cut ears on it to fit in the notches in the nut with my band saw. Then I welded it to a piece of black pipe and put the grinder to the welds. It worked perfectly! DPR threaded the barrel and now I am back in business.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just for clarification, I initially cut ears in the piece of pipe by itself but they broke off quickly so my next thought was to use a hardened deep impact socket. Worked great!

·
Registered
2 Posts
John,
Would you be interested in making one of these for sale? I failed miserably in my attempt to make a tool :-(
Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
456 Posts
I may not be seeing all I need to. Could you use a small spanner wrench similar to an AR buffer tube wrench?

·
Registered
2 Posts
DieselDoc said:
I may not be seeing all I need to. Could you use a small spanner wrench similar to an AR buffer tube wrench?
No Doc. It needs to be pretty much exactly what John has fabricated. It has to slide over the barrel 10 or so inches to engage the nut and needs to be 14-15 inches overall to clear the upper.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are a few more pics for your viewing pleasure:

This is a pic showing the overall length. You can be longer but I wouldn't go much shorter. You can also see that it is just a piece of black pipe with the socket welded on the end and ground down.

Next pic shows the hole drilled in the end. I simply stuck a large screwdriver through the hole for turning leverage.

This is a pic of the ears. I had to cut off the socket such that I only used the actual hex end since the square (ratchet) end wouldn't fit over the barrel. Nothing scientific here. I welded the socket on and then cut the ears with a band saw so that I could have something to hold onto while cutting and so that I could slide it over the barrel to test for fit.

The last pic shows why you must use a hardened deep impact socket and you can't just cut the ears in the black pipe. The ears bent over as soon as I started to put pressure on it. This is the frustrating part because at that moment you have to decide if you are going to sacrifice one of your Craftsman sockets out of the set or wait and go to Lowes tomorrow to buy an individual one :) .

The pipe is 3/4" and I think the socket is a 11/16" deep impact

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to revive and old thread and to say I found this before becoming a member here and used this to make my own tool to remove my cx4 barrel. Thanks for the info!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts