Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've come across a Beretta TR-1 Trap Special that's in pretty good condition. Asking price is around $500. Not sure when it was made, but from my limited research I'm thinking it was sometimes in the 60's. 12 gauge, single shot, gold plated trigger, a bit of engraving, nice wood with only one really noticeable ding in the fore-end and a little bit of finish wear on the receiver. Breaks open with a trigger set under the receiver just forward of the trigger guard. Not sure if it has an ejector or an extractor. I have no idea how much these things sell for in the wild because I know nothing about Beretta firearms. I've seen a couple of single shot Beretta's with different model numbers on Gunbroker selling for upwards of $800 to $1K, which is why I'm nervous about this ones low asking price. Anyone here have any experience with this model gun, or one similar??

Reactions: Cliff731

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,732 Posts
Generally, if it looks good and it's a Beretta made shotgun... and you like it... buy it!!! :)

But are you gonna be shooting trap? :confused:

If not, some other shotgun choices just might serve you better.

@Southern Reloading might know something about this shotgun.

Reactions: Mesquite

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts
Not so much on the trap guns Cliff but Doc should! If it were a 687, or 686, or EELLL maybe a little.

With that vague answer Chris if you plan to shoot JUST trap it's ok. However you could find a good 1100 that would allow you to shoot most any clay sport. JMO

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I should have mentioned that I’ve been in the market for a dedicated Trap Gun. We Shoot trap on the first Saturday of every month at SW MS Gun Club and for three years I’ve been shooting with a bog standard black plastic Mossy 500. I’m looking to get into something purpose built for the sport of trap but, as usual, am on a shoestring budget.

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts
OK will still say an 1100 is your best bet. You can add a few things to make it for trap but still have a very versatile gun. As well as one you can sell with few problems and it's like a Briggs and Stratton! Parts readily available and anyone for the most part can work on them. That Beretta not so much on either! Where are you Doc!! Chris I would say PM Doc

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I missed out on the $500 Beretta TR-1 that I first posted about, but just got the email that I've won a different one on gun broker for $461. Pics look good, but won't know till it gets here. It's a 1970 model in 12 gauge with a 32" full choke barrel. I'll post pics once it arrives. Trying to setup the transfer with my favorite FFL. Winning guns on GB is more fun that winning pennies at the slots..wooo hooo!!!!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not the best pics, but it’s a LONG gun and hard to get full length shots of it. Much nicer in person. Only significant wear is on the underside of the trigger guard. Hope to get a chance to pattern it and shoot some clays with it this weekend. Just hope the weather holds out.

5DAAF54B-479F-4500-A86E-6B9F0F7F3BDC.png CAA970E2-C9CC-483D-BA52-9ECB212BF855.png 9687FBE9-D37E-4799-A8A2-C2F12D16634B.png F2EDE997-8053-4FC7-9D53-DC7542E41328.png D93EAF37-75AA-4883-9C17-094B9D96AF5C.png 10B12A3A-3427-4180-86A0-2672BAF277F9.png 38002825-C02A-42A8-BB28-BB1275213243.png 32AEE393-22A0-4952-989B-11660CD9D045.png 47368932-602F-4E05-A04C-69D82FE32E08.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Chris - when it comes to guns, all have opinions - and generally all have merit based on that person's experience.
Randy has given you solid advice.

#1 - Chris, if you are going to try to have just one trap gun - do not limit yourself to a single shot. Double trap is the fun part of the 3 event sport. A good 1100 trap gun can be had relatively affordable - will shoot singles, handicap and doubles. Beretta makes an excellent semi auto as well. The semi autos will also spare you lots of shoulder grief. If you do not get a Semi Auto - look at an OU- * A quality OU, not a knock off that can not tolerate actually being shot, beats you to death, cant be rebuilt, and has no resale.

#2 - I am not familiar with that model Beretta (in the pictures). Probably a reason I have not seen one of them on the trap line. You do, however, see lots of Beretta guns on the trap line but they are generally 686s, 682s - OUs or Combos, Semi Autos -- or the DT-10 Combo. Berettas are good guns, personally (here is that opinion thing again) I am not a Beretta fan - they just do not seem to fit me and seem to kick me pretty hard. The 682s and 686s are easy to rebuild, easy to work on - and tend to hold value. At most trap shoots there will be people there who can work on Berettas and probably have a few parts if needed. The gun you are looking at, I have no clue. Generally, good Single Shot trap guns sells for a lot more.

#3 - If you are committed to a single barrel trap gun as your only trap gun (again, I suggest you don't do that); I suggest you look at the Browning BT 99 (built strong, last a lifetime, can be rebuilt, have good resale and demand), or a Perazzi TM-1 (built strong, easily rebuilt, good resale, good demand - cost more than the BT99.
#4 - Back to a suggestion above -- if you only want "one" trap gun (nobody can have just one) - I highly recommend you get one that will shoot at least 2 shells. You are missing some fun if you do not shoot trap doubles. The Remington 1100 trap models (new or old) are solid guns, easy to work on, hold value, shoot twice, can put a shell catcher on them to catch hulls for singles and handicap, ---- etc. The 1100 Competition cost more than a trap 1100 but has an adjustable comb, adj. butt and have an additional recoil reduction system. The Beretta Multi Target guns also work great and have adjustable ribs, adj combs, and can be had with additional recoil systems...….
#5 -there are also a host of OU guns that work great for trap - stay away from the cheap ones - you get what you pay for. So many times I see people purchase the lower end OUs thinking all OUs are created equal - far from it. I have seen numerous of those types fail before they finish the first tournament.
Browning , Beretta - right on up to the K guns (Krieghoff) and P guns (Perazzi).

PM me if I can help - Who knows, I may have a TM-1 I would sell......

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate your advice and opinions. This gun was purchased because I liked the look and wanted a new gun, more than because I needed a trap only gun. I’ve been shooting singles, report double, and true doubles for going on three years with a Mossberg 500 and typically around 22/25. If I had my druthers, I’d buy a Browning Citori O/U set up for trap, but I have other priorities that need attention. I have an 1100 that I shoot occasionally, but it doesn’t fit me very well. I shoot trap once a month at SWGC, not counting a few practice rounds in the spring and fall. Most of what we shoot is singles and I will carry this gun for that and my Mossy for everything else. Eventually, I’ll get a good O/U, until then, I’ll shoot what I’ve got. And hey, I got a new gun! That’s always a plus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts