Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing scope on savage mark II 22lr. Shots will be under 100 yards. Rimfire vs centerfire scope? Any suggestions on a good one...

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
I like the Leupold 3-9X33 EFR for mine if its still in
production, I can't seem to locate it on Leupold's web
site at the moment.

Reactions: Mesquite

·
Registered
15,211 Posts
Replacing scope on savage mark II 22lr. Shots will be under 100 yards. Rimfire vs centerfire scope? Any suggestions on a good one...
I'll offer some advise on what to look for:

1. .22 scopes are set for parallax at 50yd, Centerfire scopes are set for parallax at 100 (some are adjustable but expensive).

2. You don't typically need the light gathering capability and field of view for a 22 that you do for a centerfire, so a 33mm is quite sufficient for most tasks.

3. Variable vs Fixed power. They both have their advantages, however most folks will go with a 4x or thereabouts fixed, so why spend the extra on a variable power that you probably will never need to set above 4x anyway.

4. Turrets: Generally, turret functions suck on rimfire scopes, especially cheap ones. This results in not holding zero and/or having a mushy feel rather than a sharp click for elevation and windage. Most will also not have a easy zero reset ability.

5. Reticle: At the ranges you'll be shooting I wouldn't bother with a mil dot or MOA reticle, and it just adds to the cost and confusion.

All that said, I'd look for a simple 4x - 33mm centerfire scope and good mounts & rings for it. You should be able to get a decent one for around $125-$150 new, plus mounts and rings. As for the parallax thing, it's not a big deal for most shooters, but you need to know how to deal with it. High magnification makes it worse.

There's plenty good scopes out there and most gunshops will have a wide selection of makes and models you can check for glass clarity, etc. Good luck, and I hope this helps. :)

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
I have used 40 mm scopes on 22 rifles for at least 25 -30 years. But I have seen some good 32 mm scopes.Take a look at Natchez Shooters Supplies if you don,t find something local.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
To my way of thinking it all depends on a few things.
1st what is the rifle worth and what are you wanting to do with it? I have a really nice 10/22 I built as a "one holer" and it has a high end scope on it. I also have several .22's that are knockabout rifles. Ones that the grand kids use, ones that get thrown into the truck/ tractor/4 wheeler to shoot squirrels, snakes or whatever needs shot. To my way of thinking why beat up a higher end scope for that? I'm a guy that's been welding for 38 years now. Along with other things, my eyes are shot and I find the 3-9/4-6 scopes work better for me now. I can buy a Simmons type 3-9 off of Shotgun News for 30-50 bux. Those work great for the knockabouts be it a 10/22 or a Glenfield. If they don't fit the rifle I just machine a custom mount for it.
:2cents:

·
Infidel
4,166 Posts
I put a tasco 3x9 variable on my 10/22, been a long time so idk what the cost was. It’s been a solid performer but I’m not precision shooting either.

·
MSGO Court Jester
36,865 Posts
I've got Tasco 3-9x32 on both my Marlin 60 and 783. They're plenty good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
I like the Leupold 3-9X33 EFR for mine if its still in
production, I can't seem to locate it on Leupold's web
site at the moment.
I had 2 of those --- neither one would hold zero worth a crap.

I currently (on sporter rifles) use the Burris 3X9 compact, they have adjustable Objectives....
I know there are people who love Leupold scopes and no need to go into all that here ----- but I don't use them, haven't for a long time.....

Reactions: patchz

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
20,028 Posts
I have a Mueller APV 4.5 -14 AO on my Marlin mod 60, was around $130 if i remember right. If you look around rimfire central it is the most poplar scope for .22s

·
MSGO Court Jester
36,865 Posts

I currently (on sporter rifles) use the Burris 3X9 compact it had justable Obj....
I know there are people who love Leupold scopes and no need to go into all that here ----- but I don't use them.....
Doc, I've got three Burris Scout scopes, on my Marlin Guide Gun, SOCOM 16, and Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle. I really like them. I've got one or two other brands but have never owned a Leupold. Had a Redfield 3-9 mounted on a Remington 700 ADL that never lost zero and shot sub MOA groups with it. Cheaper ain't always worse.

Reactions: rc

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
FWIW, here's what I've been doing for .22 glass for decades: Scopes don't usually hold their value nearly as well as firearms do. I search out the gun shows for deals on older, centerfire glass to use on my .22 rifles. I've picked up a lot of good deals on nice-but-older glass at the shows over the years. They work a treat on rimfire rifles.

Of course that's not an immediate solution now, as most of the gun shows are closed, but this will pass, too.

Best
Doc

·
Registered
6,142 Posts

I currently (on sporter rifles) use the Burris 3X9 compact, they have adjustable Objectives....
I know there are people who love Leupold scopes and no need to go into all that here ----- but I don't use them, haven't for a long time.....
If one of your Leupolds wouldn't hold
a zero why then did you buy another of the same model? Also did you send either of the failing models back to Leupold to get them to stand behind their warranties?

I have to wonder if you used the box method to test zero holding, start by
shooting a group of say 3-5 rounds
without touching the adjustment dials, then use the elevation knob
to raise the group center a fixed known amount of clicks, then use the
windage knob to move it the same
amount to the right, then the elevation knob again to lower it the
same fixed number of clicks, then lastly the windage knob one last time to the left this time and then just shoot another test group on a clean target and see if the 2nd group is any
amount significantly offset from the first, if so the scope does have issues holding zero and needs to go back to the maker along with copies of the two groups along with an explanation of the method used.
I do highly doubt that a Leupold will
ever fail this test based on decades of using and owning well more than one
but I am open to being shown any error I have made here.

BTW I have a Burris 2X rimfire on one of my MKII Ruger target pistols but
not because of any problems with Leupolds but rather when I went to buy
a Leupold 2X handgun model I discovered that Leupold had quit making that model so I went with Burris.

Reactions: Henry Bowman
1 - 20 of 25 Posts