Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only Gas mask I own is the Finnish M61 Gas Mask that takes 60mm filters. From what I've seen and read online it's a pretty good surplus mask but as far as the filters go their good but a bit obsolet. What kind of gas masks you guys reccomend for serious use?

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
I seriously used one in boot camp a couple times. Trained with them on deployment. They suck and I don't ever want to wear them again.
If they gonna nuke us or whatever, thats one of those preps I'm just throwing in the towel on, I guess.:(

·
Rational Anarchist
14,579 Posts
I seriously used one in boot camp a couple times. Trained with them on deployment. They suck and I don't ever want to wear them again.
If they gonna nuke us or whatever, thats one of those preps I'm just throwing in the towel on, I guess.:(
This^^^ plus annual gas chamber, for seven years. I don’t plan to ever wear a gas mask again.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,494 Posts
Reactions: Jarhead5811

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Desert Shield and Storm. The Protective Mask goes where you go, even in the shower. MOPP4 is your friend.
After 53 chemical alarms in forty-eight hours, instead of the usual 3 or four a day, going from fatigues to MOPP4 was a waste of time. We just stayed in MOPP 4 without booties, mask and body armor.
The pyridostigmine bromide, the anti-nerve agent pill, the pretreatment to protect us from death in an attack with the nerve agent soman, was the worst.
We were given a 21-tablet blister pack, with prescribed dosage as one 30-mg tablet every 8 hours. It was the horrible. Supposedly self-administered, but after so many guys got sick from it and wouldn't take it, the NBC (nuke, bio, chem) Officer stood and watched as you swallowed it, or threatened to take away Atropine injector.
When the dead spiders start fallin' of the camels, you know the gas in near.
Current temperature 98 degrees 0630.

·
Rational Anarchist
14,579 Posts
The way I see it it would be better to own a good functional mask and not need it then need it and not have it. It's scary times we are living then so figure I might as well collect a little at a time
I can’t entirely disagree but being its one of the least likely scenarios there are a lot of preps, I haven’t yet gotten, that have a higher priority, for me and mine.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Desert Shield and Storm. The Protective Mask goes where you go, even in the shower. MOPP4 is your friend.
After 53 chemical alarms in forty-eight hours, instead of the usual 3 or four a day, going from fatigues to MOPP4 was a waste of time. We just stayed in MOPP 4 without booties, mask and body armor.
The pyridostigmine bromide, the anti-nerve agent pill, the pretreatment to protect us from death in an attack with the nerve agent soman, was the worst.
We were given a 21-tablet blister pack, with prescribed dosage as one 30-mg tablet every 8 hours. It was the horrible. Supposedly self-administered, but after so many guys got sick from it and wouldn't take it, the NBC (nuke, bio, chem) Officer stood and watched as you swallowed it, or threatened to take away Atropine injector.
When the dead spiders start fallin' of the camels, you know the gas in near.
Current temperature 98 degrees 0630.
M-35 mask was what we used in desert shield/storm.mopp 4 really sucked at high noon.
If you get this one, be sure to have real filters and not the training ones.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
M-35 mask was what we used in desert shield/storm.mopp 4 really sucked at high noon.
What branch of service and outfit were you with?
I was 35-40 clicks north of Log Base Charlie, attached to XVIII Airborne Corp. (34*25min N lat ; 44* 03min N long) In the Al Khoushabi Shopping Mall where we bought our ramen noodles in a cup. Arabian Pepsi too!

There's a couple other Gulf War vets that are members too. Reunion? It's been almost 30years! Can you believe it?

·
Registered
352 Posts
What branch of service and outfit were you with?
I was 35-40 clicks north of Log Base Charlie, attached to XVIII Airborne Corp. (34*25min N lat ; 44* 03min N long) In the Al Khoushabi Shopping Mall where we bought our ramen noodles in a cup. Arabian Pepsi too!

There's a couple other Gulf War vets that are members too. Reunion? It's been almost 30years! Can you believe it?
I was in the Air Force, deployed to the UAE, then moved north to Al s Garage (Al charge), about 60 miles south of Ryiald. Then moved up to deploy the army for the Hail Mary play at the start of the war, final move was to reploy to Al Jabal to support air movement for the USMC.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Welcome Home!!, 25 years belated. You guys sure earned your pay during that one. My Army unit was outside of Hafar Al Bateen or KKMC for awhile, then moved N. Seems like "they" kept all of us on the move all the time, either an clever or accidental strategy or tatic.
The scenery was always the same though. Great Job Air Force!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
T
Welcome Home!!, 25 years belated. You guys sure earned your pay during that one. My Army unit was outside of Hafar Al Bateen or KKMC for awhile, then moved N. Seems like "they" kept all of us on the move all the time, either an clever or accidental strategy or tatic.
The scenery was always the same though. Great Job Air Force!!!
The fighter and bomber jocks did a great job softening up the bad guys for our grunt shooters and tankers . :fa:

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
What are you using it for? If you are keeping it as a contingency for an actual chemical attack the promask itself without the rest of the MOPP suit isn't going to be much good for you with modern agents. You'll just die with clear lungs. You'll also need a fit test to ensure it's the right size and set up correctly for you. Not to mention when do you know when to lug it around and put it on?

Then you'll need M9 paper, M291 decon kit, and a sealed water supply and pressure washer prepositioned along with a dirty route so you can decon yourself and any equipment.

It's way more complicated than putting a mask on which is why most of us who have had to tote all this garbage around and have run the casualty estimates know it's not worth the effort, because it's more likely you'll die anyway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts