close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Big Blue

Discussion in 'Reloading/Ammunition' started by BasMstr, Apr 16, 2018.

1. BasMstr

BasMstr Distinguished Poster

Finally got to spend some time with the new RL550C yesterday. Had a bit of a learning curve.

First thing I had to work on was powder leakage. I wasted A LOT of powder until the big green guy gave me some advice and a video link. FYI, this video has some good information in it:

I ended up using the rubber band idea, since my powder bar wasn't starting the return right away. Gonna check locally for some springs. The rubber band helped, but didn't stop the leakage. So, I emptied the hopper to clean the powder die. Seems I didn't clean the powder funnel prior to installing it.

IMG_0961.JPG IMG_0962.JPG

After cleaning, adding the rubber band, and a slight pause before the "up" stroke, problem solved!

Mesquite, phillipd, 22lrfan and 3 others like this.
  2. BasMstr

Another issue I had was being able to visually inspect the amount of powder in the case prior to seating the bullet at station three. I have the Inline Fabrication skylight, which is nice, just not bright enough for me when it's in the center. Since I don't size or prime on this press, it sure would be nice if the powder dispenser could be set up at station one, leaving station two empty so I could see the powder in the case easily. But, you can't, so I hung the skylight off the side - problem solved.

IMG_0971.JPG

I did add one of these to my cart to keep Big Blue from look all redneck-a-fied:

Extra mounting bracket for the Dillon RL & Super 1050 skylight - Inline Fabrication

Mesquite, phillipd, 22lrfan and 7 others like this.

3. BasMstr

Another problem I had was my crimping die. Got set a little too tight. So, I removed it and gave it a good cleaning, too (seemed like it was getting stuck closed).

IMG_0970.JPG

Mesquite, phillipd, Shrek and 2 others like this.
  4. BasMstr

5. Quickeye

Quickeye Member MSGO Supporter

The cartridge on the right seems extremely conservative, and bullet leans very right. :) Just sayin'.

phillipd, 22lrfan, maxhush and 6 others like this.
  6. SubGunFan

SubGunFan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Jackson
    para40, Shrek and BasMstr like this.
  7. BasMstr

Over all, VERY happy with Big Blue. I can see this costing me a lot of money, though. I can load twice as many .223 rounds in the same amount of time on Big Blue as I can on Little Red - and that's without trying.

The Strong Mount is definitely the way to go, makes it super easy to add the extra bins. I contacted Dillon to see if the 1050 and/or SL900 bins would fit, and they said they won't. Thought about ordering some anyway, since they hang off the bracket the same as the Square Deal and RL550/XL650 bins do. I'm thinking when I'm able to redo my office/reloading room and build a bigger bench, I'd like to have a bunch of bins already loaded with brass. Then, all I have to do is grab a bin, hang it on the front, and get at it. The factory ball handle is fine, but I'll order the roller handle at some point. My wishlist through Dillon is sitting at $301.65, and includes what I need to start loading .45ACP. My wishlist through Inline Fabrication is sitting at $272.25. I think I'm gonna need a second job. :D

Mesquite, 22lrfan, HotRod61 and 4 others like this.
  8. BasMstr

The crimp die was screwed in too much. Don't know why its leaning.

Yeah, especially on case activated dispensers.

para40, Shrek and Quickeye like this.
  9. Southern Reloading

Southern Reloading Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Hey Bas you need to come see me. I got some inline stuff that is not gonna work like I wanted it to. May let it go rather than sending it back.
    RB

22lrfan, HotRod61, BasMstr and 2 others like this.
  10. idriller

idriller Distinguished Poster

11. BasMstr

Planning on stopping by this afternoon.

Shrek likes this.