Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts? I highly doubt this is an original idea, but it seems like powders, caps, balls, and the arms themselves are all still somewhat accessible at this time. Cabelas sells what appear to be pretty neat reproductions for a very decent price, and I can just run down and get me one plus all the supplies I need. I’m sure I could also, within reason, Mickey Mouse my own balls if I had to.

I did have the foresight to stock up on a few revolver and “fully semi-automatic” calibers before all this, but I’m hesitant to squander my stash. That being said, it’s important to practice and stay limber, and I’ve done no such thing for months. My thought process is that a respectable charge of quality powder in a rifled (not smoothbore) repeater, like an 1851 or 1860 replica, would closely replicate a modern practice routine and may actually make you a better smokeless cartridge shooter. What do y’all think?

BD50CF6E-E598-42ED-928A-C37427A0505F.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
8,331 Posts
Good idea, but I was under the impression that percussion caps were scarce, like primers. Plus, black powder's been hard to come by since Mississippi started allowing smokeless powder weapons for primitive season.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m looking in Gonzales, LA, and it’s showing that I can order 1000 #11 caps and have them sent to the store or home. They have the guns in the store, and I don’t need to fill out a 4473 so I don’t see diversity of citizenship being an issue. I’ll have to go through and see if they have any powders and other supplies, but I checked Midway and they also have stuff readily available.

As a small nugget of info, Louisiana doesn’t allow for smokeless propellant in primitive weapons so maybe the powder/cap situation is better there. I wasn’t aware that Mississippi allowed that now. It seems like that’s on the fence for what you can objectively consider a primitive weapon, but we have more than enough deer for everyone so if someone can get after it now where they couldn’t before during primitive weapon season, more power to them.

·
Super Moderator
8,331 Posts
I've got several really nice muzzle loaders that I hunted with "back in the day", when we were required to. Now they hardly ever get shot. I bought a single-shot NEF Handi-Rifle in .45-70 Gov't caliber when they changed the law no longer mandating actual muzzleloaders. I have a couple of BP revolvers - a 1851 Colt Navy by Uberti in .36 caliber and 1858 Remington New Army by Pietta in .44 caliber. I "roll my own" paper cartridges, using coffee filters or cigarette rolling papers. I've got an unopened pound of black powder I bought from a forum member at a MSGO Meet & Greet, but right now, I'm using Pyrodex RS, and it's working fine. I hadn't thought about purchasing in Louisiana. If they still mandate muzzleloader usage, it probably is easier to get powder, caps, etc. over there. Since no 4473 is required for BP guns, you may be able to get a better deal on the revolver by buying online, and getting it shipped to your house.

Reactions: tWillis
1 - 6 of 6 Posts