Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Black Powder Reloading?

Tags
black powder
1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  harleychief 
#1 ·
Wondering if anyone else is reloading either real Black Powder or substitutes in cartridges or shotshells?

#4 ·
I've watched videos on it, and have the vintage, period-correct tools for doing so, but haven't actually loaded any yet. At one time, I considered getting into cowboy action shooting, and had acquired a good shotty and lever gun . . . but coming up with the dough for TWO single-action revolvers was kind of daunting . . .
:groan:
Twang if you want to come out and try CAS let me know I've got extra pistols you can use. There are some good buys out there for SAA. PM me if your interested.

Reactions: Twang
#3 ·
I’m currently loading black powder cartridges for three, .50-70 for an 1870 Trapdoor, .45 Colt for an 1881 Colt SAA and .44 Russian for an 1885 S&W .44 DA. I’m planning to load some for my .45-70 Trapdoors and .43 Spanish Rem. rolling block.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm loading .45 Colt, .38 SPCL, and 12ga shotshell. I've been loading plastic shells but now I'm going to try brass ones. I bought an antique roll crimper and a primer seating tool on Ebay ($20.) so I can roll the end of the brass shells. I'm going to start by loading them by hand after that I'm going to try using a MEC press for seating the wads. I'm using a BP sub since real BP is so hard to get.

#7 ·
There's a lot of info on Pyrodex, after reading everything about measuring, and cleaning after shooting I decided to use either Black MZ or American Pioneer Powder. Both are made by APP but Black MZ is available locally and is pretty cheap. I've been using APP for about a year, I can load it on a progressive press, a little goes a long way, and it makes lots of smoke :).

Reactions: Twang
#8 ·
I bought a couple pounds of Pyrodex RS and Hodgdon Triple Seven from a Walmart several years ago for pennies on the dollar. They had it "clearance priced" at the end of primitive weapon hunting season trying to get rid of it. I don't think they even stock it anymore, since "primitive weapons" can now legally include almost anything short of an AR-15. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

#9 ·
I am a member of a reenactment group and we buy a case (25lbs) at a time. Next buy I will post and if enough folks are interested ya'll can buy with us. Since the unit will cover the haz mzt fee ya'll can order up to the weight limit. You can mix and match 2f, 3f, 4f or cannon if you want. it's Schuetzen powder mfg. by Wano Schwarzpulver GmbH, Kunigunde, Germany. If I remember it was around $250 a case.

#11 ·
For those that are loading real black how are you loading them? By hand or using a press? I was surprised, on another forum lots of guys said that they use their regular press to load cartridges with real black.

#12 ·
I use my regular press but have some extra steps. I’m loading a low volume of rounds so I weigh each charge. I then tap it one the bench several times to settle the powder then add a card wad. Next I compress the charge and add lube wads. Last is to seat and crimp the bullets. This has worked fine for me and is accurate enough for what I need.

Reactions: harleychief
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.