Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm good with how to expand straight wall cases to get necks sized to a couple thousands under bullet size and then a little over to allow for seating without putting too much tension on the bullet and swaging it down.

My question is what are some ways, tools, etc to do this in bottle neck cases. I have a universal flaring die but it just does the mouth to get the bullet stared. It doesn't expand the whole neck to just under bullet size.

Also, does anyone know if the gas check on gas checked bullets prevents the bullet from being sweged down if the case neck is overly tight before seating a cast bullit?

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok. Since I seemed to stump everyone I had to research and finally found a solution. NOE sells an expander where you can order the expander diameter you want. The expander is made to use in the Lee universal neck flaring die.

My 35 Remington dies size the inside neck at .354. I'm shooting .360 bullets. So thats 006 neck tension which I want .002. But, more importantly I have to severely flare the neck opening to start the boolit. The plugs are two step. First is to size the full length of the neck. The second step creates a second larger diameter to allow starting the boolit. They make a .357/.361. I'm going to give that a try.

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 357/361 expander works perfectly for my .360 sized bullets. A 356/360 would have been to small. I could have gone to a 358/362 and still not to large for a .360 bullet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts