Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first M1 Garand and need some advise from you guys that have one.
What sort of spare parts do I need to stock on hand due to high failure rates?
Parts that can idle me for a while while I get replacements ordered and shipped in.
The rifle is a 1952 H&R with a Springfield hammer, trigger group, bolt and operating rod.
Thanks,
Dave

·
Morte
4,309 Posts
Other than an op rod spring and an extractor, I don’t think I’ve had to change anything on else on all the ones I have owned over the last 25 plus years.

I do have extras of most small parts though that I bought when everything was easy to get, just in case.

·
Premium Member
6,251 Posts
Mostly you need to know what to grease and what ammo NOT to shoot.

Not all 30-06 is op rod friendly. PPU and S&B both make Garand specific ammo if you don’t reload. Surplus has about dried up. Generally 150gr Remington Core-lokt and such are also ok. Stay away from juiced up hunting rounds. If you reload, IMR4895, 4064, R15 and Varget are your friends.

·
Death is Preferable to Communism.
161 Posts
Buy a trigger pin or two. I've had one snap out of the blue and mine started having hangfires. And possibly an extractor...I've had one of those go flying too.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You could also look into a ported/large volume gas plug. Slows down the speed of the rearward movement of the op-rod and saves a bit of wear and tear making the rifle last longer. Also if you must use hotter ammo that M2 it keeps you from wrecking the rifle. Also has the beneficent of softer recoil if it means much to you.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
That would be Doug Bowser. He is a member here.
Yup, Douglas conducts our SW Gun Club CMP M1 clinics, IIRC another one scheduled in December. Even if you think you know the "Rifle, Cal. .30, M1" you will learn something. I'll be there to help with the clinic.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Doug Bowser generally has a clinc around early Dec. @ Southwest Shooting Club, he will post on MSGO when comes up, well worth your time, if nothing else than to listen to this gentleman, whos been dealing with these for about 6 decades.
Yeah we like to joke with Douglas that when he started shooting HP rifle matches they were still using the Krag. :)

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Mostly you need to know what to grease and what ammo NOT to shoot.

Not all 30-06 is op rod friendly. PPU and S&B both make Garand specific ammo if you don’t reload. Surplus has about dried up. Generally 150gr Remington Core-lokt and such are also ok. Stay away from juiced up hunting rounds. If you reload, IMR4895, 4064, R15 and Varget are your friends.

:yeah: Biggest malfunction I help people with is they "oil" their "Rifle Cal. .30 M1" instead of grease. Lubriplate (white grease) is an M1's best friend. Several years ago I called in an order(before everything was done online) to Brownell's for a small tube and the nice lady told me they had a much larger tube on clearance, so I got that instead. I now have a lifetime supply of Lubriplate...:rolleyes:
Ammunition is the second big thing. As Stew points our, commercial hunting ammunition will break M1 parts. Several mfgs. offer M1 specific ammunition, and if you look around on the web, you can find some. If you go to the M1 matches at Magnolia R&P club in Byram, Mr. Morgan will sell you some CMP ammunition, it's Greek HXP ammunition made specifically for the M1. I have some I could be convinced to part with if you can't find anything, let me know.
As far as parts, extractor and firing pin are the main failures I have encountered. Before you fire it also be sure the gas plug is tightened, the tool for the rifle - which includes flanges to disassemble the bolt, etc. - has a screwdriver end and is good for this, although I know people who just do this with a phillip's head screwdriver. I have seen more than one gas plug fly downrange at matches...
Our next M1 Clinic / CMP match at SW Gun Club's range off of highway 98, about 5 1/2 miles east of McComb is on December 8, 2018. If anyone would like more info now feel free to send me a PM.
M1 GARAND TOURNAMENT AND SHOOTING CLINIC:
When:
12/8/18
Rules: CMP Competition Rules
Entries start: 8:30AM, FIRING STARTS 9:00 AM
What:
An event designed to instruct shooters in the proper use, care and feeding of the M1 Rifle.
Sponsored by: Southwest Gun Club
Eligibility: Any US Citizen 14 years old or older.
Entries and Entry Fees: Entry form will be sent upon request. Seniors: $40.00 including ammunition. Juniors: will have to join the club for $10.00. The match and ammo are free to all Juniors. A shooter is considered a Junior until the last day of the year of their 20th Birthday. Forms will be collected on range day.
Contact for more information or to make entry:
Doug Bowser
PO Box 1061
McComb, MS 39649-1061
601-341-8797

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I kind of want to make this Garand Clinic.... I owe Mr. Doug Bowser a trip as he said he would look at my 1864 Springfield with snapped stock (while back lol kind of been 8k miles away for a while). I will ask him then lol.
Doug does excellent wood work on stocks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts