Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going down nostalgic lane and looking for the manufacturer/brand/model of the 22 caliber rifles we used in Scouts to get our marksmenship merit badge.
Seems they were all wood furniture, bolt action, single feed.
I spent a lot of time at Camp Tallaha near Charleston (no longer exists) but would like to acquire a similar rifle, just can't remember the brand/ / model. Give me some idea of what I need to be looking for.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
34,722 Posts
In Ms or around Charleston?

·
MSGO Court Jester
35,851 Posts
I think the ones we had at Camp Tiak were either Stevens or J.C. Higgins. Basically, the same gun. I have the J.C. Higgins model 41. I bought from my cousin for $15 when I was 12. He was also in the Scouts but was 4 years older. I'm pretty sure the Higgins was the same rifle as the Stevens, made for Sears by Stevens but branded J.C. Higgins.

I wanted it because of shooting at Tiak the year before and that year too.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
12,845 Posts
I am going down nostalgic lane and looking for the manufacturer/brand/model of the 22 caliber rifles we used in Scouts to get our marksmenship merit badge.
Seems they were all wood furniture, bolt action, single feed.
I spent a lot of time at Camp Tallaha near Charleston (no longer exists) but would like to acquire a similar rifle, just can't remember the brand/ / model. Give me some idea of what I need to be looking for.
I remember Camp Tallaha... and spent time there over two summers when in the Boy Scouts when growing up... (y)

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
12,845 Posts
I think the ones we had at Camp Tiak were either Stevens or J.C. Higgins. Basically, the same gun. I have the J.C. Higgins model 41. I bought from my cousin for $15 when I was 12. He was also in the Scouts but was 4 years older. I'm pretty sure the Higgins was the same rifle as the Stevens, made for Sears by Stevens but branded J.C. Higgins.

I wanted it because of shooting at Tiak the year before and that year too.
Patchz... check to see if your J.C. Higgins has this roll marked on the barrel...

J.C. HIGGINS-MODEL 103.181-.22 CAL.
SEARS ROEBUCK & COMPANY-S-L-LR.

Sears & Roebuck's .22 rimfire J.C. Higgins Model 41 is showing to be made by Marlin... same as Marlin's Model 101 single shot .22 rimfire rifle.

YMMV... :cool:

Reactions: patchz

·
MSGO Court Jester
35,851 Posts
Patchz... check to see if your J.C. Higgins has this roll marked on the barrel...

Sears & Roebuck's .22 rimfire J.C. Higgins Model 41 is showing to be made by Marlin... same as Marlin's Model 101 single shot .22 rimfire rifle.

It will take me a while getting to it, and I don't remember. But, the stock I bought from Numrich to replace the one I cut down is a Marlin stock. And it fits like a glove.

Reactions: Cliff731

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
12,845 Posts
It will take me a while getting to it, and I don't remember. But, the stock I bought from Numrich to replace the one I cut down is a Marlin stock. And it fits like a glove.
Please let me know what you find... :)

Back in the day when Sears & Roebuck was doing much better in the retail world... they were some very "gun friendly" folks when it came to marketing and selling firearms. Sears even owned a sizeable chunk of shares (stock) in the High Standard Firearms Manufacturing Company... (y)

Reactions: patchz

·
Premium Member
13,129 Posts
I bought a Mossberg 320B in 2000. It was a .22 single shot, bolt action with a 24" barrel and a peep sight. It was marked on the barrel as Boy Scout Target Rifle. I sold it to someone on MSGO on 9/17/10. I don't have any pics but it was like the bottom one.

·
MSGO Court Jester
35,851 Posts

Needs cleaning, it's 'a bit' dusty. Also needs a better scope. That piece of junk was on another rifle I bought and I just put it on this one after I put a decent scope on the other one.

·
Premium Member
13,129 Posts
I agree with Cliff...it appears to be a Marlin 101. The 103.19____ is the model number, not a serial number. The 101 was made from 1941 to 1977. If no serial number is on it that would make it pre-68. This is the cross reference chart.

·
MSGO Court Jester
35,851 Posts
I agree with Cliff...it appears to be a Marlin 101. The 103.19____ is the model number, not a serial number. The 101 was made from 1941 to 1977. If no serial number is on it that would make it pre-68. This is the cross reference chart.
View attachment 233414
It's definitely pre 68. I bought it used in 59 or 60. It's the third one on the list. Any collector value?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts