Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been reloading shot shell for a couple of years and recently moved into reloading pistol rounds. Now I’m planning to step into reloading rifle brass. I’m looking for a tool or set of tools that won’t break the bank. I need to be able to trim to size, chamfer and de-burr, as well as remove primer crimps in NATO/Military brass. Speaking of crimps, is it better to ream the pocket or swage it? Thoughts, opinions and suggestions please.

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
I’ve been reloading shot shell for a couple of years and recently moved into reloading pistol rounds. Now I’m planning to step into reloading rifle brass. I’m looking for a tool or set of tools that won’t break the bank. I need to be able to trim to size, chamfer and de-burr, as well as remove primer crimps in NATO/Military brass. Speaking of crimps, is it better to ream the pocket or swage it? Thoughts, opinions and suggestions please.
I have the RCBS prep station, worth every penny. I think they run around $150. The Dillon Super Swage is $100-$125, but worth every penny.

I have a hand held chamfer/deburr tool. If you want, I'll dig it out and mail it to you. I don't need or use it, you can have it.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I like the Lyman Universal Case Prep Accessory Tool Kit. It has everything you need to prep cases by hand other than trimming. As far as not breaking the bank goes; man has it gone up since I bought mine. As far as reaming versus swaging goes; I prefer to swage because it doesn't remove any material but honestly it's a matter of personal preference; either is fine. For trimming; most of the manual trimmers operate the same way and in my experience, quality is too close to call. I would look for something used and buy what was available for a reasonable price.

Reactions: Mesquite

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Concerning primer pockets, here are my thoughts

Swaging is faster than champhering if you have a dedicated swager - that's the advantage that I see. I use a dillion. Disadvantage the tool is dedicated and expensive. You can do it on a press but then it becomes slower but cheaper.

Chamfering - Advantage is it can be built into one of the universal tools / stations mentioned above so no additional cost. I also like that I can see the chamfer which helps me identify brass I've already processed the primer pocket. I can also identify my brass on the range easier as mine has a chamfer. Disadvantage is that it is slower than using a dedicated swager like a dillon. I didn't move to a dedicated swager until I was processing thousands of military brass in 308, 556, and 45.

So, for your situation, finding one built into the stations mentioned above would work. I have the RCBS and used it for about 15 years. I got it in 1998 and it is still running. Used it yesterday.

·
Premium Member
15,683 Posts
Guess I’m lazy.......I cut my primer pockets. Depends on how many I have to do as to how it happens. If I have a bunch to do (1000+) I usually sit in front of a drill press with gloves on. If I’m preparing brass I’ve shot a few times and run across one in the pile,the RCBS prep tool has the same bit in it. I also have an adapter in the same prep station that allows me to use the Lyman EZ trimmer in. Works great.
My personal favorite trim tool is the WCT (worlds cheapest trimmer) for bolt neck cartridge.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
I use the Worlds Finest Trimmers. I’ll second though the ‘buy once, cry once’ with the Giraud is probably best if you plan to expand cartridges over time. One day I’ll sell a gun and buy one.

I think pocket swaging is more consistent (I do it on the press), but I end up just chamfering most of my milsurp brass.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
I've looked at the case prep stations a couple of times but haven't bought one as of yet. I use the Dillon swager and the Dillon power trimmer. Not sure about the rest but the Dillon resizes and trims in one operation. They're not cheap though.

Reactions: BIGJOE38922

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, I found this set of tools at on the Little Crow website. They're for some hand tool that they make. Lyman use to make a similar set, but it's been discontinued. The Lyman set had a "hex adapter" for the tools, so that they could be chucked into an electric drill. For the price, I'm leaning toward this set as it would meet all my needs. That said, I haven't been able to find one of those "hex adapters" anywhere. Anyone know what they're official title is or where I could find one?

Little Crow Gunworks - LCG-PPT-TOOLS

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
using this style of crimp remover, how much is enough? Image A or Image B
Finger Nail Hand Thumb Material property

Image A - Heavy ream, till the tool stops cutting.
Ammunition Bullet Brass Gun accessory Metal

Image B - Light ream, just a few seconds until a chamfer is achieved.
Ammunition Bullet Brass Gun accessory Metal

1 - 16 of 16 Posts