Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So......I’m building a range that will be set up as a steel challenge course,that includes each layout in all required distances. What has eluded me in my thoughts of building this has been....wait for it......what in the H E double hockey sticks is my kid going to use. She really only shoots a 9 shot revolver,10 shot ruger single six (both 22lr) and a 2 different 6shot 38s....none of which would lend well for her to succeed in this with any kind of ease.
That’s where the Buckmark comes in. So far I’ve ordered a rail for the top of it and a red dot,and am actively searching for old mags for it (old ones work better in it).
My main problem with this particular pistol is it’s propensity to jamb,particularly the first round in a full mag.
Does anyone know of any treads,writeups,articles thatvdeal with any mag modification that would take care of this?

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
I have a buckmark camper. The only thing that will make it jam is limp wristing it when lubed. One other thing is I only use Federal AutoMatch or CCI Mini-mag ammo. Those two seem to work very well in most .22 semi-auto pistols.

·
Super Moderator
13,401 Posts
Why not shoot one of the revolvers? Especially if that's what she's comfortable with. There's only 5 targets per stage. There are a limited number of juniors at matches and nearly none are shooting wheel guns. All she has to do is hit the plates and she'll win her division. Get her started like this to build confidence and then worry about moving to a semi auto

·
Administrator
13,000 Posts
Why not shoot one of the revolvers? Especially if that's what she's comfortable with. There's only 5 targets per stage. There are a limited number of juniors at matches and nearly none are shooting wheel guns. All she has to do is hit the plates and she'll win her division. Get her started like this to build confidence and then worry about moving to a semi auto
This is true but with a single action would be frustrating to work in a match for a junior. Heck it would be for me.

·
Premium Member
14,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She shot it fine yesterday. Seemed to enjoy it pretty well. The whole reason really for semiautomatic pistol is reloading. If you have 5 targets that means you can miss once per target and make the whole stage. I’m not worried over time penalties or the like,but rather the fulfillment of the stage.

She’s scary with a scope,she stacked all ten rounds in a quarter size hole at 50yards......standing with my model 60 marlin.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,096 Posts
If you would rather her shoot a 22 semi then get her one that doesn't like to jam. If it jams on her then it could possibly discourage her and lower her confidence.

22 semi's are cheap.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,096 Posts
She shot it fine yesterday. Seemed to enjoy it pretty well. The whole reason really for semiautomatic pistol is reloading. If you have 5 targets that means you can miss once per target and make the whole stage. I’m not worried over time penalties or the like,but rather the fulfillment of the stage.

She’s scary with a scope,she stacked all ten rounds in a quarter size hole at 50yards......standing with my model 60 marlin.
LOL good for her. Been my experience that most girls are naturals at shooting.

·
Premium Member
14,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you would rather her shoot a 22 semi then get her one that doesn't like to jam. If it jams on her then it could possibly discourage her and lower her confidence.

22 semi's are cheap.
It’s mag issues,if I can get those corrected it’ll be fine.

·
Premium Member
14,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 49 Posts