Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
the only ones I've seen in years (new production) were being clearance by cdnn. seems there market is with vintage pistols, or cheaper surplus. I think a new production $900+ pistol just doesn't work for a lot of folks.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,096 Posts
All the reason to keep making them and lower the price to affordable.

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
All the reason to keep making them and lower the price to affordable.
Unfortunately, a mid-level all steel gun isn’t that affordable to make. Hell ask Sig. They lowered quality and still stayed in the same price bracket for their all steel guns when they brought the bulk of their production to the US. That’s why the polymer frames became so popular.

Compromises have to be made somewhere. The BHP is an extremely dated design(as glorious as it is,) with no real competing manufacturers and limited aftermarket support, which also adds to its slowing popularity.

Seems like when I bought mine new from CDNN back in ‘11/‘12 I paid about $700. I’d say that’s fairly reasonable. Especially considering some of the polymer guns like the VP9 are near that same mark. The $900-1k mark for a production gun with a non-exceptional trigger and general lack of whizbangs the market demands now, was laughable though.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,096 Posts
Its popularity has waned because of the steep price. Hell look at 1911's another extremely dated design that keeps on ticking because there are brands out there that don't break the bank. Otherwise there would be a heck of allot less 1911 fans out there. A good bit of them aren't going to pay over about $500 for there first 1911.
Browning needs to sell their design and patent to RIA. Then we could have a affordable HP with quality and not loose one of the greatest handgun designs out there. Even Tri-star would be a great company to sell the design and patent to. Both these companies make all steel handguns that are good quality and have prices that don't break the bank.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,096 Posts
LOL, go to Buds and look at the Browning selection. Heck with 100+ varieties of their 1911 380acp its a wonder why they are still in business at all.

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
Its popularity has waned because of the steep price. Hell look at 1911's another extremely dated design that keeps on ticking because there are brands out there that don't break the bank. Otherwise there would be a heck of allot less 1911 fans out there. A good bit of them aren't going to pay over about $500 for there first 1911.
Browning needs to sell their design and patent to RIA. Then we could have a affordable HP with quality and not loose one of the greatest handgun designs out there. Even Tri-star would be a great company to sell the design and patent to. Both these companies make all steel handguns that are good quality and have prices that don't break the bank.
The patent isn’t really an issue anymore. It’s been ~80 years. I’m not sure about international patents, but I believe American patents are only good for 25~ years.

There are several alternative manufacturers, but they are primarily for military contracts, so not competitive with the civilian market, unfortunately. Charles Daly made(did they actually make anything themselves?) them for the civilian market for quite a while though, and were supposed to be of pretty good quality.

The 1911 has remained popular for a number of reasons. I’d say historical significance to the average American buyer is #1, another big reason is the wide range of smiths and massive aftermarket support that have helped keep the design relatively fresh and relevant, even though it’s 100+ years old. CZ has done the same with the 75 series. The BHP hasn’t had that.

Also, Browning doesn’t know how to market anything that isn’t hunting related, and ride off JMB’s name even though there’s no relation. FN should’ve been importing them themselves all along.

I’m with you though, I’d love to see RIA or the like start manufacturing their own for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
feg went as far as making counterfeit clones for awhile why not when new feg's were running $200 and brownings 1k. they made clones under every banner imagineable including Charles daily, they were the armscorp of the day.

if colt goes to the philipines it might raise the cost of all the islands products. but as said before they are a gun culture, not like our gun culture either. there making your own gun is like making your own knife or sword in other cultures. lots of young gun factory employees that know what makes it go bang.

I had a choice when I got rid of my cz75 and browning hp. I kept my 1911, not because it is better or better made, but because it is more easily made into what I might want at the time. like a 10/22 or a glock there are umpteen million 1911 aftermarket doo dads. and I already had my defensive "needs" covered with glocks, if that wasn't the case then no way would a heavy outdated 10 shot 1911 be my choice :wut:

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,096 Posts
The Charles Daly copies where good , or at least the one I had was. Another I should have kept, bringing the total to two, the other being a FN if not mistaken.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
ha yes you are not mistaken :) FN by way of Israel. there is an older one in our classifieds right now. if I was a collector it would be "the" one lol nice old style HP with war wounds and a story to tell.

I think those CD ones were feg and feg makes good stuff. they also made "mauser" branded hp copies along with kareen? and other trade names. arcus (Bulgaria) also had some branded kareen?

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I wish I still had my parkerized HP, "made in Portugal" IIRC. Super accurate, but wouldn't drop the magazine...I believe in hindsight that was due to the magazine safety. If anyone comes across it in the Starkville area, let me know, I sold it in a pawn shop up there when I taught at MSU.

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
I wish I still had my parkerized HP, "made in Portugal" IIRC. Super accurate, but wouldn't drop the magazine...I believe in hindsight that was due to the magazine safety. If anyone comes across it in the Starkville area, let me know, I sold it in a pawn shop up there when I taught at MSU.
Later models came from the factory with a magazine with a spring on the back that gets around that problem. I’d rather have the mag disconnect deleted but whatever. The spring loaded mag work great, but only hold 13rds, are more expensive than the non-browning marked MecGar mags(manufacturer for browning mags) and they rattle a LOT when fully loaded.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,096 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts