Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
297EA252-7EF1-42CD-B34C-EEDB976E8B59.jpeg CD35DB6E-AB98-4D08-A44D-D00ACDED95E6.jpeg I bought a used magazine a while back that was labeled for Browning Hi Power. It will not lock into my 9mm HP and upon investigation, the only differences is the overall height (unknown mag is taller). Could this mag possibly be for a .40S&W Hi Power? Are there other pistols that uses this type magazine?

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,502 Posts
That obvious difference in the mag tube height is puzzling....???

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,502 Posts
Indeed it is Mr. Cliff. Very strange.
If it wasn't labeled to "fit" a Browing HP... I might suggest it was for possibly an earlier CZ-75 or so... :)

The extra mag tube height certainly implies a taller "grip frame".

Reactions: 13Medic

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
There are LOTS of mags similar to the Hi Power's. One of note is the Beretta 92. They can actually be used in a Hi Power if you file a new magazine detent hole (though the slide lock won't function with the stock 92 follower). If you ever want to drive yourself nuts, try looking for a Hi Power mag in a box of "mystery" magazines at a gun show! There are soooo many that look right, but will prove to be a hair off. As an old Hi Power fan, I've modified many mystery mags to work in an HP. Some are a bit troublesome and are only good for range/plinking mags. Some work perfectly. The Hi Power was the first double-stack nine in wide production and as such, many other manufacturers basically copied their mags over the years.

Best regards
Doc

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Many hi-cap 9mm mags are similar, and I can't tell what that one might fit, sorry.

It's definitely not for a 40 HP. The 40 HP mags are the same size as a 9mm mag, but the feed lips are slightly more open. The HP pistol (either caliber) will accept either mag. The just may not work very well.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many hi-cap 9mm mags are similar, and I can't tell what that one might fit, sorry.

It's definitely not for a 40 HP. The 40 HP mags are the same size as a 9mm mag, but the feed lips are slightly more open. The HP pistol (either caliber) will accept either mag. The just may not work very well.
Thanks for the info Mr. Gibson. Please check your inbox as I recently sent you an unrelated message regarding a Browning BDA 45. Thank you Sir.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,502 Posts

Beretta's 9mm 92 and .40 96 mags are the same... your description fits those very well. :)

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,502 Posts
I may have to investigate the Beretta mag info further. My mystery magazine will hold 12 rounds of .40 S&W and 15 rounds of 9mm. Thanks Mr. Cliff.
13Medic... it is often said that Beretta's 92 and 96 mags are "interchangeable" if "in a pinch"... but with the caveat that using a 9mm 92 mag in a .40 96... or vice versa... ought to only be for "range use". Some magazine feed lip deformation may or may not occur with the 92 mag used in a 96, however.

I cannot speak from first hand experience, however. Never had a need to try such.

That said, I remember reading that the first HS 2000 pistol variant (a.k.a. - the eventual Springfield XD) would readily accept and use those Beretta magazines... i.e. - it was intentionally "designed" to use the Beretta magazine from the "get go"!

I don't know if that's quite the case today, however, regarding the Springfield XD. I'll have to give that a "whirl" soon and report the results back here... :)

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Thanks for the info Mr. Gibson. Please check your inbox as I recently sent you an unrelated message regarding a Browning BDA 45. Thank you Sir.
Yep, I was waiting for some info to help me answer your q. Message sent back at ya. :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Arcus 98DA magazine? They were slightly longer than the standard Hi Power magazine, holding 15 rounds of 9mm versus the standard 13 round Browning magazines. But they are often marketed as a "Hi Power clone". Maybe someone threw the mag in a sales box and left off the "clone" part.

Edit: This video at 10:18 shows a comparison between an Arcus 98DA magazine and a standard Hi Power magazine. Does that look somewhat familiar?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Arcus 98DA magazine? They were slightly longer than the standard Hi Power magazine, holding 15 rounds of 9mm versus the standard 13 round Browning magazines. But they are often marketed as a "Hi Power clone". Maybe someone threw the mag in a sales box and left off the "clone" part.

Edit: This video at 10:18 shows a comparison between an Arcus 98DA magazine and a standard Hi Power magazine. Does that look somewhat familiar?
Chane, my magazine does look very similar to the one in the video. That very well may be what I have. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts