Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Improvise, adapt, overcome...
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone that frequently visits the pawn shops ever see Browning SA-22's pop up at a decent price? My grandfather had one, made in Belgium, that I remember fondly and have wanted one for a long time. I almost bought a norinco knock off years ago. If I remember correctly he only wanted 100 bucks--new in the box:hmm:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I don't know about others, but I never see these at shops. I have seen a few Norincos, and later Japanese made Brownings, but never see the Belgium ones. I'm not sure why as there were many made. I guess people like to hang on to these!

·
Premium Member
13,546 Posts
I see them occasionally on pawn shops but the prices are usually high, around 1k. Not sure what a reasonable price would be on one.

·
Registered
10,533 Posts
CDNN often seems to have sales on the current production ones in the Fall/Winter around the holidays. I believe last year in combo with a Browning rebate they were below $500. I have only seen a used Norinco clone in a local shop six or so years ago and they wanted something like $300-400 for that.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,493 Posts
I see them occasionally on pawn shops but the prices are usually high, around 1k. Not sure what a reasonable price would be on one.
................ :yeah:

·
Registered
10,472 Posts
F1BCCF4F-C159-4556-8236-26908E687B46.jpeg 04BB54FD-CE19-4BA3-ADD0-A291D2DBECFE.jpeg

I was in the same boat as you, my grandfather had one and it got away somehow.

I picked one up on gun broker about 2 weeks ago. Belgium made before they started tapping the barrel, but with the fold down sight. I was very fortunate to be able to pick it up for a really good price.

From the little research I did they range from $350 for the lowest grade poor condition to $3300 for highest grade mint.
For comparison the norico was $100 on the low end and the Miroku Browning was 175 range on the low end up too 750 on the high end.

A new Miroku runs about $550-600.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,493 Posts
My brother had a "made in Belgium" Browning SA-22 that he bought new ca. 1968 or so. He later let it slip out of his hands in a trade deal.

I really liked shooting that little .22 rifle, but I do recall it was rather finicky about the rimfire ammo you fed it!!!

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,493 Posts
I can understand people hanging on to them, I have a JAP and love it.. Even with the iron sights you can punish something with it.. Very easy to shoot. I can only think of 2-3 that's ever been listed on here and I got one of them..
The Miroku made Browning SA-22 is a very fine example of this JMB design... :101010::101010:

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,493 Posts

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,493 Posts
Does anyone that frequently visits the pawn shops ever see Browning SA-22's pop up at a decent price? My grandfather had one, made in Belgium, that I remember fondly and have wanted one for a long time. I almost bought a norinco knock off years ago. If I remember correctly he only wanted 100 bucks--new in the box:hmm:
Kershaw68... if you really are hankerin' for a Browning SA-22 "like" your grandfather owned... but find the current asking price for a nice older "made in Belgium" example to be a tad stiff... buy yourself one of the current made by Miroku in Japan "NIB" Browning SA-22 rifles from your favorite firearms retailer... just sayin'... :)

It's still a Browning SA-22... I promise you won't be disappointed!!! :cool:

·
Registered
10,472 Posts

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,493 Posts
I just bought a Belgium for under $400 online so I wouldn’t recommend a $600 jap when you can find a deal online.

Look at auctions and find one that suits you.
@Kershaw68 heres a staring point that ends in a few hours. Browning SA22 Takedown Made in Belgium .22LR SA-22 - Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com : 817606540
While I'm sure there's some good deals to be had out there on an older Belgium made Browning SA-22... such isn't the norm. Even the one you list above has some issues that warrant due consideration...

"The original finish is nice, showing handling marks most noteably (sic) on the scope dovetail from mounting a scope. There are some other various handling marks throughout. The stock does have a small crack on the bottom tang arear, (sic) just rear of the trigger."

I'm not trying to be contentious nor argue on what you have opined... but merely expressing a realistic point of view herein.

If you want to "cut to the chase" and get your paws on a very nice new example of Browning's SA-22... buy the Miroku made Browning and be done with it.

More than a few of Browning's fine firearms are being made by Miroku in Japan.

Prudent shopping with due patience will get you "out the door" for a decent price... :)

The last "used" Belgium made Browning SA-22 as I inspected was in the local gunstore where I lived then... and it was priced at near $700 in circa 2006.

This store typically kept one or two of the current Miroku made "Grade I" Browning SA-22 rifles in stock (they are a "stocking Browning dealer)... and marked at closer to a $450 price then. Yeah... I know the current prices have increased in today's market.

All that said... if you truly have your heart set on a Belgium made Browning SA-22... go for it.

:101010::101010::101010:

·
Registered
10,472 Posts
While I'm sure there's some good deals to be had out there on an older Belgium made Browning SA-22... such isn't the norm. Even the one you list above has some issues that warrant due consideration...

"The original finish is nice, showing handling marks most noteably (sic) on the scope dovetail from mounting a scope. There are some other various handling marks throughout. The stock does have a small crack on the bottom tang arear, (sic) just rear of the trigger."

I'm not trying to be contentious nor argue on what you have opined... but merely expressing a realistic point of view herein.

If you want to "cut to the chase" and get your paws on a very nice new example of Browning's SA-22... buy the Miroku made Browning and be done with it.

More than a few of Browning's fine firearms are being made by Miroku in Japan.

Prudent shopping with due patience will get you "out the door" for a decent price... :)

The last "used" Belgium made Browning SA-22 as I inspected was in the local gunstore where I lived then... and it was priced at near $700 in circa 2006.

This store typically kept one or two of the current Miroku made "Grade I" Browning SA-22 rifles in stock (they are a "stocking Browning dealer)... and marked at closer to a $450 price then. Yeah... I know the current prices have increased in today's market.

All that said... if you truly have your heart set on a Belgium made Browning SA-22... go for it.

:101010::101010::101010:
Thats what i get for not reading the description.

Edit: upon looking at the numerous pics here is the crack. My is it enormous for a rifle thats 70 plus years old.

@Kershaw68
If that tiny flaw is an issue then here's another Belgium Browning SA 22LR Belgium 1960 - Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com : 818435271

Here's a nice used jap out the door for $450
Browning SA-22 Takedown .22LR - Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com : 808092818

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,493 Posts
Thats what i get for not reading the description.

Edit: upon looking at the numerous pics here is the crack. My is it enormous for a rifle thats 70 plus years old.

@Kershaw68
If that tiny flaw is an issue then here's another Belgium Browning SA 22LR Belgium 1960 - Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com : 818435271

Here's a nice used jap out the door for $450
Browning SA-22 Takedown .22LR - Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com : 808092818
Don't fear the "Jap" (made by Miroku) examples of the Browning SA-22... just saying. :)

I once had a very knowledgeable older gentleman remark to me that what impressed him about the Miroku made Browning firearms - and in particular the SA-22 - this in spite of the desirability and vaunted reputation of those previously made in Belgium... he was impressed with the absolute consistency of Miroku's firearms where quality, fit, finish, and reliability were concerned... :cool:

I took one home that same day... ;)

That said, my understanding is this - if you order or should happen to buy one of those high grade Browning SA-22 rifles... with the fancy hand engraving and gold relief inlays... those are still made in Belgium by FN Herstal... :cool:

·
Improvise, adapt, overcome...
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I certainly appreciate everyone's input. I have, for whatever reason always wanted a carbon copy of my grandfathers Browning. His rifle was envied by all of us grand-kids, and we all cherished our time behind the trigger, when it was our time. Although The Miroku made Browning SA-22 would be a great addition, as would a norinco--(just not nearly as nice), I would always still want an original Belgium made Browning SA-22, just like Papa had. I can remember how accurate it was, and easy to handle, especially as a 10-12 year old kid. I guess its just me being nostalgic. Thanks again everyone for the great conversation!

·
Deplorable
2,154 Posts
A crack of any proportion isn't going to help with value now or future for sure.
And certainly not if the crack continues to grow.. Geezz..

A BMB would certainly hold its value just because! My jap S.A. has busted several crows DRT at 50+yards with iron sights. . Great little guns!! I don’t plan to ever sell it anyway!

Hope you find a gun!!

·
Registered
10,472 Posts
The japs are still well made not saying they aren’t. Resale and value with them isn’t nearly as high, where a Belgium is going to hold its value for a LONG time.

I would have been happy with a Miroku but happened upon a heck of a deal on the Belgium. That said the man wants a Belgium. I also want a norinco or a cheap jap so I can have the barrel threaded for a suppressor. Wouldn’t do that to a Belgium though.

I do have two other jap made Browning A-bolts and they are fine. Not as nostalgic but doesn’t hurt my feelings as much if they get a scratch while climbing in a stand. Now the Belgium shotguns are really sweet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts