Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a browning X-bolt that had one of those factory stocks that were rubberized and it turned gummy. Browning sent him a new stock. I'm no gun smith but comfortable sanding a barrel channel and sealing to free float a stock. Don't do bedding jobs though. Before I have him make a trip to my house to replace the stock, is it like a Remington 700, Win Model 70, etc. where the stock comes out easily and then just check for the stock touching the barrel or that little pressure point bedding at the front pressing on the barrel?

Don't want him to spend the time to bring it over if a browning is not as easy to replace a stock as my other bolt guns.

·
Premium Member
6,242 Posts
I think that the Browning bolt actions come from the factory free floated. That is one rifle that I don,t have. I came close to buying one years ago.I did install a trigger spring on one around 14 years ago. Maybe someone will chime in. It should not be a big problem.

Reactions: Soonered

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
A friend of mine has a browning X-bolt that had one of those factory stocks that were rubberized and it turned gummy. Browning sent him a new stock. I'm no gun smith but comfortable sanding a barrel channel and sealing to free float a stock. Don't do bedding jobs though. Before I have him make a trip to my house to replace the stock, is it like a Remington 700, Win Model 70, etc. where the stock comes out easily and then just check for the stock touching the barrel or that little pressure point bedding at the front pressing on the barrel?

Don't want him to spend the time to bring it over if a browning is not as easy to replace a stock as my other bolt guns.
Dremel

·
Premium Member
6,242 Posts
I keep some of that black floor sanding paper. We also called it sheetrock sand paper. It is actually not paper but a tough thick sanding material. Carpenters, cabinet makers use it too. Can buy from a paint store or Lowes. Works great sanding wood

·
Premium Member
6,242 Posts
I keep some of that black floor sanding paper. We also called it sheetrock sand paper. It is actually not paper but a tough thick sanding material. Carpenters, cabinet makers use it too. Can buy from a paint store or Lowes. Works great sanding wood

·
Premium Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We took it apart. Looks like they do a pitiful job of adding a blob of bedding compound the size of a quarter. New stock from Browning went on and is free floated. It's pretty wimpy looking inside the stock. We'll take it to the range and see how it shoots without the small bit of bedding compound. If it doesn't shoot well I'll suggest he put a boyds or h-s precision stock on it before wasting money bedding the flimsy plastic one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts