Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several months ago, Bud's got in a pretty big shipment from Interarms Surplus including CZs, Hi Power, and several HP clones. I believe they were mostly Israeli turn-ins. I've always wanted a Hi Power so I figured this was a good time to get one for a decent price. The image on the website showed a '96 Mk III so that's sort of what I was expecting.

I wound up getting the gun pictured below. It's marked Fabrique Nationale D'Armes de Guerre with a serial number in the 36000s. Apparently, FN didn't keep good records on SNs and started their numbering over again for different contracts, so the SN is not a reliable way to date the gun. From the Proof Controller Code (S with a star above it) and the fact that internal extractors were used until '62, it was made somewhere between 1952 and 1962. Unfortunately, I'm not an expert on Hi Powers (or anything else for that matter) and can't narrow it down any more. I can upload more pics if anyone wants to take a stab at it.

Other than the condition not quite being fair (not complaining since I like older guns), the worst thing about the gun is that ugly import mark. Without it, I like the patina and wouldn't want to refinish it. Since it does have it, though, I'm looking at getting it refinished (blued preferred). What do y'all think? Who would you recommend to refinish it?

I've taken it out shooting a couple times, and it functions just fine. I won't be shooting it a whole lot, though, because I don't want to break the extractor. Looks like it's going to be tough to track down a replacement.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,629 Posts
Very nice!!! I prefer the older ones to.

·
MSGO Court Jester
40,216 Posts
Nice. Talk to Sum Gy, he might be able to help you find an extractor.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I don't believe I would refinish it. To me, it shows the character and years of use, doesn't look abused, even though that scratch above the trigger would annoy me. I believe by rebluing, you would possibly lose some of the roll marks that speak to it's history. But losing the large Interarms rollmark could be a good thing. I understand wanting a nicely blued example, but sometimes the character and history looks better to me. This is my opinion and will cost you exactly what you paid for it.

Keep it cleaned and oiled and shoot it. But, at the end of the day it is your decision. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't believe I would refinish it. To me, it shows the character and years of use, doesn't look abused, even though that scratch above the trigger would annoy me.
I'd leave it as-is. Nice pistol!
Thanks! This is the kind of stuff that I'm looking for. Just wish they would have done a better job with the import mark.. don't think they could have made it any worse looking.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
If you do decide to reblue it, if Sum Guy doesn't feel comfortable doing
the refinish, Billy Tierce in or just outside Crystal Springs can do a fantastic
job, he's done several things for me since the middle '70s and I've been
very happy with his work. I'll edit this post to include his contact information
once I round it up...........Found it faster than I thought:

Billy Tierce
4050 Jack Rd Utica Ms..
closed Wed and Sun hours 9 am - 6pm
601-885-9297

You can call him for specific instructions on how to find
his shop, its not that hard to locate, I go west along Hwy 27
instead of trying to go through Utica and navigate the
back roads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts