close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Building with bamboo?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness/Self Sufficiency' started by Jarhead5811, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Blondie70

Blondie70 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I have some bamboo growing here. Running type, which I like. No problems....I got a bushhog. I think the biggest bamboo is of the clump type. I had some clump before at another place and that stuff is uncontrollable once it gets pretty big...need a dozer.
    Bamboo does not like wet places...I heard it's best to plant it in a spot where you could grow corn...same preferences as to soil.
    My bamboo originally came from the side of a train track heading north out of Gulfport. It is not getting big here cuz I have it planted under some pine trees. I think I am going to try to use the cutting method to grow some more....great videos !

Cliff731 and Jarhead5811 like this.
  2. Blondie70

Blondie70 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Forgot to say to Jarhead...you got a beautiful bamboo thicket ! Wish I could get mine to grow like yours.
    Also, know a tank driver who drove 'em in Vietnam...the giant clumping type will stop a tank. Dunno about the running type.

Leonidas, Cliff731 and Jarhead5811 like this.

3. gutdoc

gutdoc Distinguished Poster

I’m
    youre correct on the government’s definition. I should have said things that I can’t control the spread of, and they are a PITA.
    I Missed three I need to add.
    Thistle
    Sticker weeds
    Button bushes. They have completely clogged up some of my duck holes

rigrat, Cliff731, Jarhead5811 and 2 others like this.
  4. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

Baling twine would be perfect!

Oh, I plan to use nothing but modern tools. I’m all for working smarter not harder but I’d still like to know what the traditional techniques are because modern methods, that I’m familiar with, just won’t work. You know, screws, nails, etc...

I’ve got a bunch of saws that I’ll use. I’ll probably use a cordless sawzall for harvesting the stalks, a table saw for splitting any that I need to, and a mitre saw for any I want cut at a 45°. I was even thinking that I’d put a hole saw on the drill press to make some of the 90° joints fit better. In the past I have done that on square metal tube that I was joining to a round tube to make a nice tight joint.

If I use that Spanish tile like method for some roofing, I’ll likely still use caulk.

I’m thinking some polyurethane would be a good idea once everything dries out, completely.

Of course, it would probably be a good idea to let it all dry before beginning construction. Maybe even apply a stain, and a coat of poly before building anything then a second coat of poly once built? ...or use a tinted poly? Oh, we’ll see. It’ll be fun not having to spend a ton on the building material... Material cost is the main reason I haven’t built more things, in the past.

5. Dave

Dave Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I don't know if splitting will be easier green or dry. You might be able to make a splitter with thin sheet steel say 16 ga. Put an edge on it and start it with a mallet larger than the bamboo then once about a foot or two through wrap a rope around a few times and pull. Don't know if you will need additional leverage to get the job done. Might be able to do quarters or eights this way too.

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  6. Leonidas

Leonidas The Beast MSGO Supporter

I have known several folks who have bamboo floors. None have had complaints. It is durable and quite handsome.

Cliff731, rigrat and Jarhead5811 like this.
  7. Leonidas

Been thinking that a fence line of that with a line of pampas grass outside would be absolutely secure.

8. Leonidas

Just found this. Seems good info on curing and preserving bamboo.

Read all of it. Seems what I thought was a great idea to use it for roofing ain't. Unless you want to reroof every 2 or 3 years. Bamboo deteriorates severely exposed to sun and rain.

Preservation of Bamboo

Chicknman, Jarhead5811 and rigrat like this.
  9. canebreaker

canebreaker Distinguished Poster

I helped installing a floor then lived on it for 3 years. A floor stapler was rented. Where every staple went through there was a little bucket in the board. Each board is beveled on all sides, can't just sweep, have to vac too.

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  10. Leonidas

I think it is available w/o bevels. But that's great info to have and to consider before purchasing.

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  11. Jarhead5811

It is

Leonidas likes this.
  12. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

Two photos as I snapped this afternoon of the cane that grows wild in Mississippi... and I believe many refer to this as "river cane". Might be the same as Arundinaria gigantea... which is said to be a species of bamboo. I rarely observe any that has a larger than 5/8" or so diameter stalk...

upload_2018-4-10_21-35-54.jpeg

upload_2018-4-10_21-37-7.jpeg

Blondie70 and Jarhead5811 like this.
  13. tha1000

tha1000 Distinguished Poster

I was in Hong Kong a few years back. All the scaffolding I saw was built from bamboo and lashings... and I'm talking 10's of stories into the air. It was all over the place.

IMG_0475.JPG IMG_0476.JPG

14. maxhush

maxhush Distinguished Poster

NW MS
    I've been in a restaurant before with bamboo flooring. Nice stuff. And I have a couple bamboo cutting boards.

If a pair of pandas ever escape into the wild here they'll be raiding farms riding the hogs after their population explodes.

Chicknman and Jarhead5811 like this.
  15. Jarhead5811

That’s impressive

16. canebreaker

canebreaker Distinguished Poster

Before I moved here you would have had to zig zag through the woods. This road had another name. 2 houses were moved in so a road had to be made. A few truck loads of dirt were hauled for the road. After the houses were set up the ditch was dug out. In that area there is river cane growing so it was hauled in. It's to small to do anything with. Then the county cut a new road and add fire plugs.