close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bulged Winchester Cases in SR 22 = FTE

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by JoseBob, Aug 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Just bought the wife a new Purple SR 22. Got 2 boxes of the Winchester Super X at 1435 FPS.
    Went to the range to try it out and ran into numerous jams. Failure to extract and a few fail to fire. This may have been posted before, but I could not find any info on it. I checked one of the cases after popping it out of the chamber with my pocket knife. It was very bulged, causing the rim to almost disappear. The extractor could not grab the rim to pull it out of the chamber. I fired about 35 rounds and noticed about 8 or 10 cases were bulged. I am sure that I missed a few more. I changed ammo over to CCI Mini Mags at about 1235 fps and had no more problems...
    I traded the remaining box of Winchester Super X to a friend of mine that loves anything Winchester, for a box of Winchester at 1280 FPS. Went back to the range and had almost the same problem with the bulged cases. Again the Mini Mags worked. Just concerned if others have had similar problems or if my wife's new pistol has a problem....

phillipd likes this.
  2. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Interesting. I've shot a good many of the Winchester in both hand and long guns with no problem except the occasional ftf. I haven't tried in that particular model though.

3. oldwelder

oldwelder Distinguished Poster

I have a Ruger SR22 I bought last year, I have shot Winchester Super-X, CCI, and all the other bulk box 22 though it I have never had a problem with the pistol a few ftf, never a bulged case, I have ran about 1000 or more rounds thur this pistol with no problems, sounds like you may have gotten a bad lot/run of Winchester 22 ammo, just my thoughts.

phillipd likes this.
  4. Dave

Dave Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I have had far too many problems with Winchester ammo in semi-auto .22 pistols to ever buy them again. Golden bullets seem to be hit or miss. Thunderbolts tend to dirty them up too fast. I prefer Mini-mags, Federal AutoMatch and even Blazers for the most part. The other ammo I like to use cost a lot more so I left them out.

5. chevy427

chevy427 Full Poster

Brandon
    Odd that you should mention this. I bought a brick of Browning .22 ammo at Academy. It is made by Winchester. This has to be the worst ammo I have ever tried. I tried it in my SR22. Some case were bent and crimped. One cartridge broke in half while chambering. Some had Super-X head stamps. FTF and FTE rate was high. It would not even chamber in my trusty JC Higgins single shot. I can't believe Browning would put their name on this stuff.

LeansVeryRight2016 and Mesquite like this.
  6. sigpro2022

sigpro2022 Distinguished Poster

Call them, give Lot #, receive replacement +++ plus stuff

7. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

The worst 22lr I bought was 40 grain Armscor. They were dripping oil. I wiped a whole brick off. OK then.

8. fastarrow

fastarrow Distinguished Poster

My 10/22 had problems with FTE & FTF Winchester Super X at the Southern M & G. I chalked it off as a dirty chamber. But Mesquite gave me some Remington that ran fine in it. I guess their QC isn't up to snuff.

LeansVeryRight2016 and Mesquite like this.
  9. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

Bought a couple 100rd boxes of SuperX a couple months ago just because they were on sale, and wanted to try them out. Only problem I've had with them is that they won't chamber in my 1939 Savage 6A. Not really surprised about that. :lol3:

They run fine in my Sig 1911-22.

Mesquite likes this.
  10. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

fastarrow, I'd forgotten about that. Notice a few people, of late having is issue with Aquila 22lr.

11. fastarrow

fastarrow Distinguished Poster

I never tried the Aquila brand.

Mesquite likes this.