Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday since it was raining its a$$ off around here, I tried a different method of powder coating.

It was a different version of wet coating. I took a quart size freezer zip lock bag and added a few tablespoons of yellow powder and some 91% alcohol. This is what happened.................

It appears alcohol and the powder don't mix well.

So next I tried powder and acetone........

This concoction mixed better, but I think I had too much powder and not enough acetone. This shows the bullets layed out to dry.

Dried bullets on the tray for cooking. Notice the coating cracking and peeling off.

After cooking. Looks like they have a fungus disease...............

And another........ FAIL ! ! ! Oh well, it was fun trying (and learning). These bullets and the other regular yellow powder coated bullets are now sitting next to my casting pot ready to be melted.

·
Super Moderator
13,649 Posts
Mr. Dan pbtp makes a solution for wet coating that is perfect for hard to coat parts. I’ve used it and it works. I doubt it would be beneficial or economical for bullets though. Judging by the smell it doesn’t have alcohol or acetone in it. Very mild somewhat familiar smell but I can’t place it. It mixes with the powder on a 1:1 ratio by weight. A good scale is a must. After it’s sprayed the cooking rules are the same for whatever powder you are using

·
Premium Member
15,193 Posts
Mr. Dan pbtp makes a solution for wet coating that is perfect for hard to coat parts. I’ve used it and it works. I doubt it would be beneficial or economical for bullets though. Judging by the smell it doesn’t have alcohol or acetone in it. Very mild somewhat familiar smell but I can’t place it. It mixes with the powder on a 1:1 ratio by weight. A good scale is a must. After it’s sprayed the cooking rules are the same for whatever powder you are using
Next time I’m up there,I want to check it out.

·
Super Moderator
13,649 Posts
Next time I’m up there,I want to check it out.
I’m out but I’ll order some tomorrow and bring it when I’m down there next week. It saved my butt on a set of knock off wheels on an early ‘30’s Lincoln. The faraday effect was so bad I couldn’t do them with dry powder. Great stuff for certain applications. I thought the 1:1 by weight ratio was cool since one is a solid and one is a liquid. Someone had their thinking cap on

1 - 6 of 6 Posts