Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody heard about this?

The federal ban on bump stocks is coming soon. Real soon. “In the coming days,” according to a CNN Exclusive.

What this means is owners of reciprocating devices will have 90 days to destroy them, render them permanently inoperable or turn ’em over to authorities. Or else?

Or else risk being charged with unlawful possession of a machine gun which is a crime punishable by up to 10 years in prison, according to the DOJ.

“Bump stocks turn semiautomatic guns into illegal machine guns. This final rule sends a clear message: Illegal guns have no place in a law-and-order society, and we will continue to vigorously enforce the law to keep these illegal weapons off the street,” a senior Justice Department official told CNN Wednesday.

There is no grandfather clause. There is no registering bump stocks under the NFA. Worse yet, owners of bump stocks will receive no compensation for complying with the law.

Aren’t ex post facto laws unconstitutional (under Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3)? Isn’t Big Brother expressly forbidden to seize property without compensation under the Fifth Amendment? I’ll let you answer those questions in the comment section.

The truth is I’m tired of talking about this whole bump-stock fiasco. About how the NRA caved following Vegas; about how Trump was supposed to use the bully pulpit to push national reciprocity and the Hearing Protection Act but instead he focused on banning what amounts to a range toy via executive fiat; about how the ATF had said in no uncertain terms on two separate occasions that bump stocks were firearm parts, not machine guns; about how if this was Obama everyone in the gun community would be shouting from the rooftops, “From my cold dead hands,” but since it’s Trump no one seems to care; about how the ATF is being weaponized to act as a legislative body as opposed to a regulatory agency (only Congress can pass laws prohibiting weapons); about how this sets a horrible precedent with respect to executive power and the ATF; about how you best believe Big Brother is going to pull the same stunt one day as it pertains to those other widely popular firearms and accessories that putatively circumvent the spirit of the NFA (I’m not going to explicate what they are but we all know what I’m talking about); and on and on and on.

I will, however, note that the timing of this is interesting. In the wake of the midterms. Not before them.

To those who own bump stocks, all I can say is good luck and godspeed. Given the apathy of the gun community on this issue, it looks like you’re on your own. Resistance is futile. And noncompliance could cost you your 2A rights permanently.

***Buy and Sell on GunsAmerica! All Local Sales are FREE!***

Related Posts:

Lame Duck Christie Signs Bump Stock Ban: New…
Trump: Federal Bump Stock Ban Is Almost Finalized
Face 10 Years In Prison If You Don’t Surrender…
BREAKING: NRA Supports Ban on Bump Stocks!
BREAKING: Trump Orders DOJ to Ban Bump Stocks, Other…

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Aren’t ex post facto laws unconstitutional (under Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3)? Isn’t Big Brother expressly forbidden to seize property without compensation under the Fifth Amendment? I’ll let you answer those questions in the comment section.
This is not a Law. It's a Regulation, or more accurately, a revision of an existing Regulation. There is a difference, and this is one of those differences. Regulations are often "ex post facto", which is why you get mandated retrofits on thousands of things.

Also, they are not seizing anything according to the ATF when the NPRM came out for comment. From a legal pov, this is no different than the FDA telling you to return or throw out that head of Romaine lettuce you just paid $3 for. Whether you do or not is entirely up to you. :rolleyes:

This doesn't mean it won't be successfully challenged in court. GOA and others have already declared an intent to challenge it on various grounds.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Another opinion piece here on it:

Even The Obama Administration Knew That Banning Bump Fire Stocks Was Illegal - The Truth About Guns

The fact that bump fire stocks are perfectly legal under current law — that’s why the ATF approved them in the first place — doesn’t seem to matter much to the commander-in-chief. He apparently sees this as an easy PR move that won’t affect many gun owners while being a sop to the #gunsense crowd (as if that will change their minds about him).

We’ve also pointed out that re-regulating a perfectly legal gun accessory by regulatory fiat for political reasons is a supremely dangerous idea. One that is almost sure to come back and bite gun owners down the road when a less gun-friendly administration is in power.

·
MSGO Court Jester
39,401 Posts
What about stuff like this?

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I don't own one, and frankly never wanted one but IF I did,
I WOULD NOT COMPLY EVER nor do I suspect that the
thousands of existing owners of these things will either.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
‘Bump stocks’ to become illegal this week

The Justice Department announced that it has officially amended Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives regulations to clarify that bump-stock-type devices are “machine guns,” and are thus illegal.

A Justice Department official told the Washington Examiner that acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker signed the rule Tuesday morning, and it should be published and thus official by Friday.

It will take effect 90 days after that.

Individuals who possess bump stock devices will then have 90 days to either turn them in to authorities or destroy them. After that point, it will be illegal to own then.

No compensation will be given in return for the devices.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
That means it should be available on Regulations.gov this week, and we'll get to see if any of the language in the rule has been changed since the NPRM was published.

1 - 20 of 247 Posts