Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi My name is Cody Brown I am newish to MSGO but really like the forum and the members so far My question is Is it legal to buy guns across State Lines I live around Picayune MS So Louisiana and even Alabama are not very far and I find some good deals in both States that are worth driving a few hours for But a lot of people don't want to sell across State Lines From my research online It looks like a Rifle/Long Gun is ok But a pistol is not I have talked to a few Pawn Shops and almost all of them say that both rifles and pistols are fine to buy if its two private parties I know I can only buy a pistol in MS from a retailer but can buy a rifle in most other States Just wondering if anyone knows for sure or not Thanks For Bless

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Welcome.

I believe you can buy a longgun out of state but some shops may have policies against it. You can always do an FFL transfer.

As far as only being able to buy a pistol in MS from a retailer, thats false. Private party sales are legal and not an issue, many require proof of residency and some may require a bill of sale.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Sort of. ALL sales to a non-resident of the state of the seller have to go through an FFL. If it is a handgun, then it has to go through an FFL in the state of the buyer.

So, if you really find a good deal on a rifle or shotgun you can drive to buy it but the sale has to go through a local FFL (local to the seller) using Form 4473. If you find a deal on a handgun, the seller has to either ship it to your local FFL or personally bring it to your local FFL and then it gets transfered on a 4473.

·
Judges 3:31
135 Posts
From ATF's Website. Always check someone's opinion or advice against established laws. One person's opinion does not protect you in court! If the firearm you purchase ends up being a stolen firearm, or one which has been used in a crime, the argument of "some guy told me" won't hold water.

Unlicensed Persons | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may transfer a firearm to an unlicensed resident of their state, provided the transferor does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the transferee is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under federal law. There may be state laws that regulate intrastate firearm transactions. A person considering transferring a firearm should contact their State Attorney General’s Office to inquire about the laws and possible state or local restrictions.

Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of state, the firearm must be shipped to a federal firearms licensee (FFL) within the transferee’s state of residence. The transferee may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check.

A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any state for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if they do not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under federal law. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent.

A person may transfer a firearm to a licensee in any state. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(5) and 922(d); 27 CFR 478.30, 478.32]

Last Reviewed January 30, 2020

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,095 Posts
Hi My name is Cody Brown I am newish to MSGO but really like the forum and the members so far My question is Is it legal to buy guns across State Lines I live around Picayune MS So Louisiana and even Alabama are not very far and I find some good deals in both States that are worth driving a few hours for But a lot of people don't want to sell across State Lines From my research online It looks like a Rifle/Long Gun is ok But a pistol is not I have talked to a few Pawn Shops and almost all of them say that both rifles and pistols are fine to buy if its two private parties I know I can only buy a pistol in MS from a retailer but can buy a rifle in most other States Just wondering if anyone knows for sure or not Thanks For Bless
You can not buy individual to individual across state lines. You should be able to buy long guns from a FFL licensed gun shop or business. Handguns must be shipped to your FFL in your home state for pick up and NICS check.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
Sort of. ALL sales to a non-resident of the state of the seller have to go through an FFL. If it is a handgun, then it has to go through an FFL in the state of the buyer.

So, if you really find a good deal on a rifle or shotgun you can drive to buy it but the sale has to go through a local FFL (local to the seller) using Form 4473. If you find a deal on a handgun, the seller has to either ship it to your local FFL or personally bring it to your local FFL and then it gets transfered on a 4473.
ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

·
Deplorable Curmudgeon
16,915 Posts
You are also required to look at the ID on a person to person sale and verify they do not live out of state

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
All of my firearm sales posts include "must prove Mississippi residency and sign a bill of sale (which includes attesting to residency and compliance with regard to being eligible to possessing a firearm). I would rather not sell or trade a firearm than to transact with someone who will not do this. Bottom line....just do not be stupid.....the feds have much more money than you do....

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,095 Posts
All of my firearm sales posts include "must prove Mississippi residency and sign a bill of sale (which includes attesting to residency and compliance with regard to being eligible to possessing a firearm). I would rather not sell or trade a firearm than to transact with someone who will not do this. Bottom line....just do not be stupid.....the feds have much more money than you do....
Yes do you require a carry permit? You can prove residency with a DL and still sign a BOS if you are worried enough to require one. But as I said his choice to narrow the field of potential buyers down. I'm out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts