close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can birdshot ever be used in a home defense shotgun?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by sand_man, May 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ellis93

Ellis93 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

No doubt.....it's a lot to think on. Having collateral damage to walls,furniture,light fixtures, etc....is not a big deal......the little humans within are. The whole idea is to protect them,my wife and lastly myself. I am there to protect them.....to turn the situation in their favor,not cause more issues.
    let Rambo and his gene pool theory use his buckshot......I could care less what his thoughts are when they are put like that towards others.
    Trying so hard to sound smart.....only to show just how much ignorance is there.

1010 and Scharfschütze like this.
  2. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Well, a 10 post member with no information as to where he/she is...
    Reading Evan Marshall's books, .22LR has one-shot stop of between 20-40%, and anyone using a .22 probably won't shoot just once. I did read once that there are more people in the ground as the result of a .22LR shot(s) than any other caliber, simply due to its ubiquity. I believe I know who said it but won't attribute it because I'm not sure of who it was. Not advocating use of the .22LR (unless it's the weapon at hand) but more to agree with Ellis93's point.

1010 likes this.

3. sand_man

sand_man Grouchy Old Fart MSGO Supporter

If you shoot bird shot at rooms distance you will see the pattern will not open much. Any thing under 15 feet will be one big wad of shot less than a foot in diameter. This alone will be devistating. We're not talking hunting distances but the length of a room. Don't over think it.

wllmkttrll, Cliff731, 1010 and 2 others like this.
  4. Ellis93

Ellis93 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Yeah that's been my distances......I live in 2200sq foot,not a football stadium lol

5. 2DARK2C

2DARK2C Distinguished Poster

my buddy just gave me 2 new Winchester .22 shot rounds! I had not seen them since I shot up my grandpa's when I was a teen. work way better than the cci blue pill crap.

probably still go out my trailer walls though :eek:

1010 likes this.
  6. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

Amen to that, Sandy!!! :)

wllmkttrll and rebel4ever like this.
  7. rebel4ever

rebel4ever I'll Play Dixie If I Want To MSGO Supporter

I hope your kid sleeps on the same end of the house that you do. Unless it's the Russian paratroopers breaking in your house, I think the boom is going to be enough to get them gone. Getting shot at just rattles some folks.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    rigrat and Cliff731 like this.
  8. I killed a doe once with high brass #6 at about 10 feet. Pretty much blew a big old ragged hole clean through her. I would say that I wouldn't want to be shot with anything moving at 1300fps and bird shot is widely advocated for home defense. I choose the middle ground. It will work, just not my choice.

rigrat and 1010 like this.
  9. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

No problem whatever makes it through will strike the lookouts...;)

10. bluedog46

bluedog46 Distinguished Poster

I am sure its better than a stick, but I would use buck shot. If you want to h ave something with more pellets you could alternate in the magazine between buck and bird.

11. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

I think it was stated earlier that bird shot because of kids at the other end of the house.

wllmkttrll likes this.
  12. wllmkttrll

wllmkttrll Distinguished Poster

clinton
    :yeah:

13. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

My humble suggestion:
    (1) Measure the greatest distance from point A to point B within your home that is a straight line, open distance in which you might theoretically fire a home defense firearm. "Within" being the key word here, I'll call it your "internal HD distance".
    (2) Pattern (shotgun) or practice firing (handgun / carbine / rifle) the firearm(s) you keep for home defense at this maximum internal distance. Decide if you think this is adequate for home defense.
    (3) And this is the most complicated: Find a piece of drywall, set it up at that maximum internal distance for your home, and put a target behind it. See what strikes that target when you fire your home defense load of choice at the drywall. Decide if there is a risk to others within your dwelling.
    If you're using a shotgun, this will give you a good idea as to what will happen if you use (FILL IN THE BLANK) load as a home defense round. In my experience birdshot on small critters such as possum, armadillo, coyotes within 15 yards with a .410 full choke #6 shot is devastating, all resulting in one huge cavity approximately 3-4" in diameter. I can only speculate as to what a 12 gauge with #6 shot high brass would do. 15 yards / 45 feet is a LONG way for most dwellings.
    Again, just a suggestion for some experimentation.

wllmkttrll, rigrat and 22lrfan like this.
  14. 94LEVERFAN

94LEVERFAN Distinguished Poster

15. 94LEVERFAN

94LEVERFAN Distinguished Poster

3 of mine loaded with 00 buck. If I have to shoot a SOB in my house, I do not to intend for anybody else to give their side of the story.

fordpkup likes this.
  16. marionmedic

marionmedic Distinguished Poster

Rem. 870
    #8 birdshot followed by 00 Buck
    Modified choke

At 15 to 20 feet the #8 will put a NASTY hole in paneling.
    At 10 feet or less, the hole is fist size (and smaller if closer) in a solid oak exterior door.

At 30+ feet out to 40 yards, someone is going to spend a lot of time getting probed and prodded.
    And YOU are going to spend some time with lawyers and courts for taking that shot.

Yes, the birdshot WILL KILL.
    Had a few "Suicide by Shotgun" cases that used birdshot, and they ALL died with just one shot.

rigrat and wllmkttrll like this.
  17. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

1010 likes this.
  18. surehuntsalot

surehuntsalot Distinguished Poster

no one is walking away from a high brass load of #4's, 5's, or 6's from 15-20 feet away

19. wllmkttrll

wllmkttrll Distinguished Poster

clinton
  20. 45flattop

45flattop Distinguished Poster

Jackson
    I've always preferred 12 Gauge Number 1 buck for the
    sheer number of pellets in a 2 3/4" shell, 00 usually has
    only 9 pellets where as the No. 1 has a dozen, greater
    throw weight. I don't have kids or dependents in the
    apartment to worry about. 00 is .33" in diameter
    where No. 1 is .30 if memory serves.