Mississippi Gun Owners banner

can someone explain scope collimation to me?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Xd357 
#1 ·
I have a friend who sent their scope back to nikon because he was having issues with it staying dialed in on his 35 whelen. They returned it and the sheet said something about they adjusted the scope's collimation, or something like that. They didn't really go into more detail.

I googled it and all I could find was a defintion saying it was to make parallel, or line up. Something along that line.

It still doesn't really tell me how that would affect how a scope stays sighted in.

Maybe it has to do with the mirrors inside the scope? I dunno. Anyone know? Thanks!

#4 ·
Try searching on bing with search term " collimation telescope"

I might be wrong but from what I gather basically the lenses in the scope were not lined up properly...or the sweet spots of the lenses were not in line and they basicly tuned the scope.

Nick

G
#6 ·
kcin said:
I might be wrong but from what I gather basically the lenses in the scope were not lined up properly...or the sweet spots of the lenses were not in line and they basicly tuned the scope.
Nick
This is the best anwser. The optimum focal point of each lens need to be aligned for the scope to perform.

#7 ·
Collimation? Is that when your discombobulator is out wack?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.