Canning Jalapeno peppers

Discussion in 'Mississippi Cooking Forum' started by idriller, Jun 13, 2016.

1. idriller

idriller Distinguished Poster

Does any one have a favorite recipe for canning jalapeño peppers? Ive tried a couple and didnt really get the desired taste. Last one I tried was using apple cider vinegar ( claimed it made them crispy) I wasnt impressed. Thanks in advance.

1010 and I'm a Rebel like this.
  2. DoyleAlley

DoyleAlley Distinguished Poster

I've got one that is for candied jalapeno called "cowboy candy". It is seriously good on a cracker with a hunk of cream cheese or also good as a condiment for burgers.
    * 4 pounds Firm, Fresh Jalapeno Peppers, Washed
    * 2 cups Cider Vinegar
    * 6 cups White Granulated Sugar
    * one half teaspoon Turmeric
    * one half teaspoon Celery Seed
    * 3 teaspoons Granulated Garlic
    * 1 teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper
    makes 2 pints
    Preparation Instructions
    Wearing gloves, remove the stems from all of the jalapeno peppers. The easiest way to do
    this is to slice a small disc off of the stem-end along with the stem. Discard the stems. For less heat, discard the seeds.
    Slice the peppers into uniform 1/ 4 inch rounds. Set aside.
    In a large pot , bring cider vinegar, white sugar, turmeric, celery seed, granulated garlic and
    cayenne pepper to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the pepper slices and
    simmer for exactly 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the peppers, loading into clean,
    sterile half pint canning jars to within 1/ 4 inch of the upper rim of the jar. Turn heat up under the pot
    with the syrup and bring to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 6 minutes.
    Use a ladle to pour the boiling syrup into the jars over the jalapeno slices. Insert a cooking
    chopstick to the bottom of the jar two or three times to release any trapped pockets of air.
    Adjust the level of the syrup if necessary. Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean paper towel dampened with white vinegar and fix on new, two-piece lids to finger-tip tightness.
    IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO CAN THESE TO THE POINT OF SHELF STABLE, YOU CAN SIMPLY
    PUT THE JARS I N YOUR REFRIGERATOR AND STORE THEM THERE. I prefer to keep the
    fridge space free so I can them. If you wish to can them, follow the instructions below.
    Note: If you have left over syrup, and it is likely that you will, you may can it in half-pint or
    pint jars, too. It's wonderful brushed on meat on the grill or added to potato salad or, ...
    in short , don't toss it out !
    TO CAN, place jars in a canner and cover with water by 2-inches. Bring the water to a full
    rolling boil. When it reaches a full rolling boil, SET THE TIMER FOR 10 MINUTES FOR
    HALFPINTS OR 15 MINUTES FOR PINTS. When timer goes off, use canning tongs to transfer the
    jars to a cooling rack. Leave them to cool, undisturbed, for 24 hours. When fully cooled, wipe
    them with a clean, damp washcloth, then label.
    Allow to mellow for at least two weeks, but preferably longer before opening.

3. idriller

idriller Distinguished Poster

sounds good

1010 and I'm a Rebel like this.
  4. rebel4ever

rebel4ever I'll Play Dixie If I Want To MSGO Supporter

Put sliced jalepeno in small pan, add some sugar and a tiny bit of water....cook on medium til juice gets thick. Eat on cracker and cream cheese.( this is the lazy mans version of the above recipe, I'd bet his is better, this is quicker) I just fix what I am going to eat today and tomorrow, not a recipe for canning.

Southshorerob, 1010, idriller and 2 others like this.
  5. I'm a Rebel

I'm a Rebel Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I prefer white vinegar for canning, cider vinegar gives a " twang " or aftertaste I don't like. I've pickled bout everything u can and prefer white vinegar..

6. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I have always used white vinegar for canning, cider vinegar for cooking!

Southshorerob, Mesquite, 1010 and 3 others like this.
  7. DoyleAlley

Rebel, I've never tried the recipe using white vinegar. I suppose it would work but would likely change the taste. This stuff is seriously good. I've done it both ways - leaving in lots of seeds and leaving in almost no seeds. It's really hard to judge because the hotness of the peppers themselves will vary too much from batch to batch. With this recipe, I like just enough kick to be interesting but not so much that I've got a lingering burn in my mouth.

8. 41 fan

41 fan Distinguished Poster

Ive bought bread and butter jalapeño a few times, don't know the recipe for canning them though.
    Ronnie

Sum Gy Custom Firearms and 1010 like this.
  9. Morgan88

Morgan88 Full Poster

I have made the Cowboy Candy several times to rave reviews. My family puts it on anything or just out of the jar. In my case I used the regular vinegar. I have not tried the white vinegar. On a side note it seems around here we don't get jalapenos with much heat to them. Doesn't seem to matter what store get them from. I notice on the above recipe it requires adding ground cayenne pepper. Seems odd you would need to add ground red pepper to jalapenos. Is somebody hybriding(new word) out the heat? Conspiracy?

Southshorerob and Mesquite like this.
  10. DoyleAlley

I've been wanting to make some but all the peppers I keep seeing in the grocery store are huge. I like using jalepenos about the size of my middle finger. The ones all the local grocery stores get are double that size.

Southshorerob likes this.
  11. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

There are jalapenos that are hybrid to reduce heat & to jumbo for stuffing.
    Possibly try your local Farmers market for more traditional peppers.

Southshorerob, Blondie70 and mascott like this.
  12. jrickhsr

jrickhsr Distinguished Poster

I too have made the Cowboy Candy and love it. However, fresh jalapenos aren't cheap and you'd better cook that concoction outside. It is stout.

Here's my cheap, easy and no cook recipe that makes pretty good candied jalapenos. Folks have been doing this with dill pickle slices forever. Makes some really good pickles too.

Take a 64 oz jar of Pickled Jalapeno Nacho Slices like you get at Sam's Club for $3.62. Pour off all of the liquid. Remove approximately 1 pint of the peppers into a quart canning jar. Pour approximately 1 cup of sugar into the big jar of pepper slices. Put the top on the jar and turn it over and over a few times to get the sugar disbursed among the pepper slices. Open the jar and put in approximately 1 more cup of sugar. Put the top back on the jar and place the jar in the refrigerator. The sugar and peppers will make their own "juice". Every day for a few days, turn the jar over and over to mix the sugar and peppers. When the sugar has dissolved and is no longer grainy, enjoy.

Do this same process with the peppers you placed in the quart jar, using approximately 1/4 cup of sugar, or you can work them back into the big jar after a few days. They will fit.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Southshorerob, Mesquite and Chicknman like this.
  13. phillipl8

phillipl8 Full Poster

Looks Good

Mesquite likes this.
  14. patchz

patchz Court Jester

Y'all making me HONGRY!!!