Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't write reviews very often on anyone good or bad but cannon safes has some of the best customer service I have seen or dealt with in recent times. When they say lifetime warranty they meant it. I purchased a safari 64 gun safe a couple years ago got a great deal on it at academy. Recently it has been a using batteries quite a lot. I let it go and just replaced them, until finally something in the actuator bit the dust. Now the safe will open or close without the code unless i push in the actuator to manually lock the bolts. I called cannon expecting a hassle and a long wait time. That was not the case the gentleman i spoke to was on the phone within 30 seconds. He was courteous, professional, and prompt. He asked a few questions about what type of lock it was, asked me to do a test for him, and then said ok whats your adress we are going to send you a new keypad and lock. I inquired if there was a better lock that i could purchase. He said no but some could be retrofit with some work ,that were a better mechanism and said he would send one along so i could have both and use whichever I want. Since I have welded and built just tons of crap over the years. I figure I can add a small piece of metal if its a good lock. But anyways I haven't had customer service like that in a long time so figured I would give them some credit.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Good to hear. I bought a 64 gun from tractor supply a couple black Fridays ago. Didn't want digital, but for the price I paid I can live with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
But, is there a way to access the safe if the batteries die??
Mascott, I just recently bought a Cannon 48-gun American Eagle that has an electronic lock. On my safe the battery is accessible from the outside via a hatch directly under the keypad. If I remember correctly my Dad's Liberty with the keypad is accessible from the outside as well.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,364 Posts
Mascott, I just recently bought a Cannon 48-gun American Eagle that has an electronic lock. On my safe the battery is accessible from the outside via a hatch directly under the keypad. If I remember correctly my Dad's Liberty with the keypad is accessible from the outside as well.
You do remember correctly!!! :101010:

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I'm still on the original battery, nearly three years now.

Reactions: Cliff731

·
Premium Member
20,396 Posts
I was really wondering if the SHTF and no batteries available, what do you do??

Reactions: Cliff731

·
Premium Member
20,396 Posts
That is what I was afraid of!

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,364 Posts
I was really wondering if the SHTF and no batteries available, what do you do??
A plausible scenario, but if you keep a few spare 9v lithium or alkaline batteries on hand, it's not very likely.

The 9v lithium variety will have virtually a near infinite shelf life. I usually keep several extra of the alkaline here as these are used in my home's smoke detectors.

An alternate strategy is to keep your "Go to" and "SHTF" stuff in a gunsafe with an old-fashioned tumbler lock on it...:)

Of course, if you guys are talking about a high altitude EMP blast for a SHTF scenario... then you might need a contingency plan if your gunsafe has an electronic combination lock. In such an event, you'll be quite happy to own a gunsafe with an "old school" combination tumbler lock on it.

·
Premium Member
20,396 Posts
I wasn't sure if they had a "key" backup or something similar.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,364 Posts
I wasn't sure if they had a "key" backup or something similar.
Mine doesn't... it's a S&G digital lock that's near 12 years old. Some newer designs might have a "fail-safe" backup feature.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,364 Posts
Here's my take on the choice of old fashioned tumbler vs. new fangled digital combination locks...

Old school:
  • Pro - Never needs batteries to open the safe door
  • Con -Takes longer to open with a precise complicated sequence of turns on the dial

New school:
  • Pro - Access time to safe contents is near instantaneous
  • Con -Requires a good battery to work
My electronic digital lock does not have back-lighting on the keypad... but the new one that Opus owns does. So I keep a small flashlight handy on top of the safe.

Not pushing one type over the other here... I personally like both types... :101010:

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,364 Posts
Just a word of warning, I've heard that the 64 guns aren't very seaworthy and go straight to the bottom even with floaties!
Sadly that is so true, Maxhush... especially so when carried in an aluminum jon-boat!!! :( :oops: :confused:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just a word of warning, I've heard that the 64 guns aren't very seaworthy and go straight to the bottom even with floaties!
I heard that too! Here's to hoping that the 48 gun model is slightly more buoyant than the 64 gun models. After all the tragedies that I have heard about whole collections being sent to the briny deep I figured I had to take precautions against such an incident.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,364 Posts
I heard that too! Here's to hoping that the 48 gun model is slightly more buoyant than the 64 gun models. After all the tragedies that I have heard about whole collections being sent to the briny deep I figured I had to take precautions against such an incident.
I hope you bought the optional extra cost hi-flotation packs... or else it will sink faster than poor ole' Gus Grissom's "Liberty Bell 7" capsule in the Atlantic!!! ;)

Reactions: 7557 and maxhush

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
I hope you bought the optional extra cost hi-flotation packs... or else it will sink faster than poor ole' Gus Grissom's "Liberty Bell 7" capsule in the Atlantic!!! ;)
Now you know most of these folks didn't have Mercury pencil boxes (tubes) for grade school or even Gemini's! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts