Mississippi Gun Owners banner

carry at work?

3K views 37 replies 25 participants last post by  tb_bucc 
#1 ·
I have been passing out resumes like candy this week and carrying the whole time and while doing so, this topic came to mind. I have a couple of leads, both of which are "mom & pop" type machine/T&D shops, if employed by one of them should I:

#5 ·
I carry at work cause I work in the Ghetto off 220 and have been held-up here before and hear gunshots all the time and told my boss if I was to work over here by myself that I would have my weapon on me and if not he could find another employee, but I am getting laid off at the end of the month so that will all change.

G
#6 ·
I'm not trying to portray us women as being the vulnerable victims but we need to be armed to protect ourselves as unarmed women are open targets to sick male predators.

I would conceal carry in my truck mostly as I couldn't carry a gun under my scrubs...

#8 ·
Well by law you have the right to carry your gun as a concealed weapon. Even if your boss says that he doesnt particularly want firearms around his business you still by law have a permit issued in the state of mississippi who trust you of course or they wouldnt of given it to you. But my point is even is he or she says no what is it going to hurt because it is concealed which means cannot be seen what so ever. So in my honest opinion you have the complete right to carry on your person at all times unless told other wise by a hospital or government building where they are typically not allowed. just my :2c:

#9 ·
bonedust75 said:
Well by law you have the right to carry your gun as a concealed weapon. Even if your boss says that he doesnt particularly want firearms around his business you still by law have a permit issued in the state of mississippi who trust you of course or they wouldnt of given it to you. But my point is even is he or she says no what is it going to hurt because it is concealed which means cannot be seen what so ever. So in my honest opinion you have the complete right to carry on your person at all times unless told other wise by a hospital or government building where they are typically not allowed. just my :2c:
..... and you will get fired by some companies and/or employers .... with no recourse ...

#10 ·
... Well, being retired I make that decision!! However, in my former job, carrying would have gotten you fired -- the mere possession of a weapon on company property would get you fired ....

#11 ·
well the employers in question here are a tool & die shop in a rural community sitting next to (even sharing the same driveway with) the owners home and a small machine shop ( one mill, one lathe, one grinder etc) setup in the delivery area of an old business and located less than a mile from where a classmate was attacked and robbed in broad daylight. Neither of the owners seemed like the type that would frown on it although the subject never went that direction.

If it were a large company like toyota ( if they had a facility near here) or martinrea it wouldnt be a question. My main concern is approaching an employer as a new employee about the subject since I would still be a "stranger" of sorts and I'm already kinda weird anyway

#12 ·
I worked for the railroad for 35 years and always carried my pistol in my bag even though it was against the company rules....no exceptions...not even in your parked car on company property. Then my bag was stolen in a company van and the pistol was found. I was fired permanently and it took a public law board to get me back to work. Scary to be out of a job with 4 kids......There have only been about 3 people who have gotten their jobs back after being caught with a weapon on company property. I still carried my pistol because we had to be in undesirable places and worked at all hours of the night. You will lose your job....but would you rather be judged by 12 or carried out by six?

#13 ·
Most larger employers will provide you with a "handbook" of their corporate policies. It should contain the answer to your question. If it does not prohibit the carrying of firearms, then you are good to go!

I figure Toyota and Martinrea are not going to allow weapons inside their facility. It's up to you to follow the rules or not. But, they can legally prohibit you from carrying inside a facility.

#16 ·
Get the job, work a couple of weeks, get to know the bosses, and them know you. At that time you will know what to do. Until then, I'd leave in the vehicle.

#19 ·
I did forget to mension earlier that I see exactly where the boss or employer is coming from about not wanting firearms on there property and yes if you do not choose to abide by the rules there are consequences that you will pay for but one point I would
like to stress is that it's an individual thing if you feel comfortable and confident enough about doing it without them knowing then go ahead. But what I stand for and what I would do is two different things. 1 I do believe it's your responsibility to keep it covered and I do believe it's your right to carry if needed but personally if my employer specifically said no I would abide by his rules just to be respectful. Does anyone agree with that.

#20 ·
bonedust75 said:
I did forget to mension earlier that I see exactly where the boss or employer is coming from about not wanting firearms on there property and yes if you do not choose to abide by the rules there are consequences that you will pay for but one point I would
like to stress is that it's an individual thing if you feel comfortable and confident enough about doing it without them knowing then go ahead. But what I stand for and what I would do is two different things. 1 I do believe it's your responsibility to keep it covered and I do believe it's your right to carry if needed but personally if my employer specifically said no I would abide by his rules just to be respectful. Does anyone agree with that.
I agree with you

#21 ·
Depends on your job. If you are clerk at Walmart making $6 an hr its one thing.

working for a large company in an office env. and you been working for 25 yrs and finally making good "jack" and you are the only bread winner for the house is another matter.

Trust me I support your right to carry....and it does seem kinda wussie to not take a stand I guess with your employer...but when you agree to work for "the man", you agree to his rules...

break the rules...better be prepared to deal with the consequences.

You folks that can carry at work are blessed.

#24 ·
I was looking thru my employee handbook i was given when i first started my new job back in December.. I saw a line under the Conduct section "Possessing Firearms or weapons of any kind on or inside "CPMS" premises ( including vehicles) or those of its patient-customers." are Prohibited

i lauged, walked into my boss's office and asked him "you serious?"
he said dont worry about it, we were suppose to take that out of your handbook.

I put a mount under his desk to hold his Glock and a mount under the desk of my other boss to hold his Taurus.. I carry mine everyday.

#26 ·
I say follow the employers rules. The employer does have the right to establish policy/rules and would expect all employees to abide by them and any deliberate violation could/should be grounds for termination. My last job prior to retirement was with a very large jet engine manufacturer which did not allow smoking or guns on company property (7,400 acres). A violation of this policy called for immediate termination without recourse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.