Mississippi Gun Owners banner

carry at work?

3K views 37 replies 25 participants last post by  tb_bucc 
#1 ·
I have been passing out resumes like candy this week and carrying the whole time and while doing so, this topic came to mind. I have a couple of leads, both of which are "mom & pop" type machine/T&D shops, if employed by one of them should I:

#27 ·
I have a larger issue when it comes to carry. I work at the Memphis Air Port. In the employee parking lot they have the right to search your car. :blah: Its not a secure area per say but they say you cant keep it in your car. I just moved from Florida and in that state they passed a law that states that you have the RIGHT to carry in your car and an employer cant say didaly about it. Even at the air port they cover this and say you can carry but you better not bring it into the air port. So I drive into MEM should I be armed. I have asked around and no one knows the last time they searched a car in the lot. :pullhair:

#28 ·
I had a disagreement with an MD once and we had to arbitrate in front of some administrators. He then chose to focus on me instead of his issues in discussion. He volunteered that I CCW in the hospital-with a MS permit. I noted that at the time there were no specific policies in the employment handbook. I volunteered that I even checked with the local Police Chief who checked out his sources and told me to continue to CCW as long as there existed a death threat (random drunk calling threats at 2 am for over a week telling me he was going to harm my family and knew where I lived). My boss could not dispute my facts but discouraged this practice which I had done after the caller had been ID'ed and notified by the PD. I will still CCW, just not in the hospital. BTW, that MD who thinks guns are crazy doesn't think twice about speeding over 110 on local hwys until he got caught. He used his get out of jail card-just bogus! All in all, it's a tough time to be looking for work so I don't mind following new rules. Yeah it's a compromise but I got mouths to feed...

#29 ·
I voted to zip it and keep carrying, but what I'd probably do is to work with it in the car for a time and get to know the boss. Eventually you'll get a feel for his beliefs and then you can ask him if he carries, and if no, why not. Then when he asks you you'll be able to honestly tell him you usually do but have not at his shop out of respect until you know how he feels. Even if he opts not to let you carry, he'll respect you for asking.

#35 ·
I am also in the machining business. I vote against carry in the work place. Until you have seen some of the accidents that can happen around these machines I say no carry. Wait until you have the job and some expieriance then you can make that decision for yourself. Grinder dust will find its way into anything, like cellphones. So why would you consistantly carry in those conditions? You keep saying Mom and Pop type operations, those places are the safest places to work. Now if you were a cashier at a corner store on grave yard shift I would say carry 2. just my :2c:

#37 ·
My boss said it was cool to take some meat off of the heatshield for my shotgun using the stuff in the shop but I ended up taking the whole critter to work because the only hex wrenches I had that fit the heatshield were in my toolbox...at work. He just wanted to fondle my shotgun, he couldnt have cared less about me having it there. I think carrying is going to be fine with him since the shop is in a bad neighborhood. So far I love working for a company that consists of 3 employees (including the owner).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.